LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

95 LS . Where is this leak coming from ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20 | 02:35 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Default 95 LS . Where is this leak coming from ?

This is right at where the drivers and passenger door meets under the car . But more towards the driver's side . Looks dark brownish like oil. I guess me changing the valve covers didnt help . This is leaking right by the RIGHT REAR CAT .This is unusual. Is the differential not further down?

Not sure if this is the cause of smoke on start up but my power sterring fluid is not getting low
Old 11-29-20 | 08:24 PM
Yamae

How does it smell? I worry that the ATF is leaking out.
Old 11-29-20 | 09:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I would guess power steering fluid.
Old 11-29-20 | 09:34 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yamae
How does it smell? I worry that the ATF is leaking out.
yes, I am thinking ATF but from where ? I need to jack up the car and see . No smell but reddish brownish color . Could even be from the torque converter . I will check
Old 11-29-20 | 10:01 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

If you aren’t losing power steering fluid then check the auto trans fluid level using the procedure in the owners manual. I think it’s transmission fluid given the location of the leak.
Mind you, it’s best to actually get under the car and look around.
Old 11-29-20 | 10:25 PM
400fanboy
Racer

The differential is on the rear axle.

Won't really know what it is until you visually look where it's coming from, until then it's just a guessing game. Even if a fluid is low, you don't know if that's what's actually leaking out. And it appears to be quite a considerable leak.

Get it up in the air ASAP and take a look.
Old 11-29-20 | 10:32 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
The differential is on the rear axle.

Won't really know what it is until you visually look where it's coming from, until then it's just a guessing game. Even if a fluid is low, you don't know if that's what's actually leaking out. And it appears to be quite a considerable leak.

Get it up in the air ASAP and take a look.
huh? My LS has a front differential and a transfer case.

oh wait, sorry, wrong generation LS

400fanboy is correct, it’s an urgent thing to fix. If it’s trans fluid it will leave you stranded really, really soon if you try to drive it like this.
Old 11-30-20 | 08:55 AM
EthanS
Pole Position

Keep us posted on this please. I have a relevant two-cents to add here as well:

Last week I noticed new drops of reddish-brown oil in my garage, near the same area as you (center of car). I lifted her up and crawled underneath to investigate.
My first step was to clean the entire area around the transmission pan and output shaft as it was a complete mess with liquid oil, dried oil, and road dust.
This photo is about half way through the cleaning process. You can see some residual trans oil stuck in the trans oil pan bolts, and generally all over the place.

After it was all cleaned up I kept the car in the air and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Crawled back underneath (watch out for the exhaust pipes - they're quite hot at this point!) and the leak presented itself. The culprit was not what I was expecting, but blatantly obvious...
One of the bolts/crush washers that hold the rear housing of the transmission on to the main gearbox was allowing some oil to seep through.

I searched Google for a photo of an LS400 transmission removed from the vehicle to give a better idea of what I'm talking about. I believe the one with the arrow was the culprit in my case. I put a 14mm box wrench over all of the bolts for the housing and snugged them down. This was on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Monday morning and still no drops on the floor. Hopefully all they needed was to be tightened down... We'll see if it lasts in the long run.

Hope this helps someone!
The following 3 users liked this post by EthanS:
Kdfwagen (11-30-20), spuds (11-30-20), Yamae (11-30-20)
Old 12-03-20 | 03:43 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Originally Posted by EthanS

Last week I noticed new drops of reddish-brown oil in my garage, near the same area as you (center of car). I lifted her up and crawled underneath to investigate.
My first step was to clean the entire area around the transmission pan and output shaft as it was a complete mess with liquid oil, dried oil, and road dust.
This photo is about half way through the cleaning process. You can see some residual trans oil stuck in the trans oil pan bolts, and generally all over the place.

After it was all cleaned up I kept the car in the air and let it run for 5-10 minutes. Crawled back underneath (watch out for the exhaust pipes - they're quite hot at this point!) and the leak presented itself. The culprit was not what I was expecting, but blatantly obvious...
One of the bolts/crush washers that hold the rear housing of the transmission on to the main gearbox was allowing some oil to seep through.

I searched Google for a photo of an LS400 transmission removed from the vehicle to give a better idea of what I'm talking about. I believe the one with the arrow was the culprit in my case. I put a 14mm box wrench over all of the bolts for the housing and snugged them down. This was on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Monday morning and still no drops on the floor. Hopefully all they needed was to be tightened down... We'll see if it lasts in the long run.

Hope this helps someone!
thanks . Great info
Old 12-03-20 | 04:44 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EthanS

Hope this helps someone!
The image wirh single green circle suggests this is one of the 6 transmission extension housing fasteners leaking.

On A650-E transmission extension housing mounts with 6 bolts and split lock washers...

FIPG is used between the transmission body and extension housing.

If you are experiencing a leak from the fastening bolt hole, then perhaps the FIPG is failing...or the rear transmission housing seal?

Driveshaft and transmission yoke.are removed to gain access.

Refer to vehicle shop manual.and transmission' shop manual.

A link to 1999 tailshaft housing project (A650-E transmission) depicting 6 bolts withsplit lock washers.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...n-housing.html

Last edited by YODAONE; 12-04-20 at 12:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
EthanS (12-04-20)