LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

RPM Suddenly Drops Off Releasing Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 03:44 PM
AleksLZCR
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RPM Suddenly Drops Off Releasing Throttle

Problem is more or less exactly what the title indicates.
I'll be cruising the streets in stop and go traffic and hit the gas to get up to speed. The instant I come off the gas, the RPM drops significantly. Almost feels like it shifts into OD from 3 every time I lift off the gas.
RPM will go from 2.2 - 3.2 immediately down to 1.5 - 1.6 coasting at speed with no throttle input.
I do come off the throttle rather sharply, no 'gradual' release, so maybe that could be why, but it hasn't behaved this way before.

Some things to note: I did rebuild the ECU recently and did Lextreme's mod with the air intake. Throttle body was also recently cleaned. Also, problem does not manifest on the highway, only city speeds <50.

Is this normal and immediately releasing the gas is something I should stop doing, or is this indicative of something else wrong?
Doesn't feel like brakes dragging or anything I could easily pinpoint. I do have a badly failing power steering system but that is getting fixed soon and isn't something I would expect to interfere with engine speed.
Old 01-12-21, 08:31 AM
fondu
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AleksLZCR
Problem is more or less exactly what the title indicates.
I'll be cruising the streets in stop and go traffic and hit the gas to get up to speed. The instant I come off the gas, the RPM drops significantly. Almost feels like it shifts into OD from 3 every time I lift off the gas.
RPM will go from 2.2 - 3.2 immediately down to 1.5 - 1.6 coasting at speed with no throttle input.
I do come off the throttle rather sharply, no 'gradual' release, so maybe that could be why, but it hasn't behaved this way before.

Some things to note: I did rebuild the ECU recently and did Lextreme's mod with the air intake. Throttle body was also recently cleaned. Also, problem does not manifest on the highway, only city speeds <50.

Is this normal and immediately releasing the gas is something I should stop doing, or is this indicative of something else wrong?
Doesn't feel like brakes dragging or anything I could easily pinpoint. I do have a badly failing power steering system but that is getting fixed soon and isn't something I would expect to interfere with engine speed.
I have a similar issue with my '94, and it has seemed to appear out of nowhere recently. For me its when cruising 1800-2000 RPM, let off throttle, then drops ~400 RPM instantly along with a thud noise + feeling as if it just slammed into overdrive like you say. But it is random/intermittent for me which leads me to possibly something electrical?

My shot in the dark guess is a TPS that is on the fritz? I have read on this forum that they have caused issues before throwing a code
Old 01-12-21, 08:39 AM
AleksLZCR
Rookie

Originally Posted by fondu
I have a similar issue with my '94, and it has seemed to appear out of nowhere recently. For me its when cruising 1800-2000 RPM, let off throttle, then drops ~400 RPM instantly along with a thud noise + feeling as if it just slammed into overdrive like you say. But it is random/intermittent for me which leads me to possibly something electrical?

My shot in the dark guess is a TPS that is on the fritz? I have read on this forum that they have caused issues before throwing a code
I think that would make sense. I was doing some testing with a scan tool and noticed the data from the tps was inconsistent. I'll look into a replacement and update if that changes anything.
Old 01-12-21, 08:56 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 873 Likes on 658 Posts

Emissions spike up sharply when the throttle is closed abruptly so computer controlled
fuel injection systems have been programmed to gradually close the air control butterfly
valve. Perhaps your rebuild project eliminated this designed in function?
Old 01-12-21, 11:15 AM
AleksLZCR
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
Emissions spike up sharply when the throttle is closed abruptly so computer controlled
fuel injection systems have been programmed to gradually close the air control butterfly
valve. Perhaps your rebuild project eliminated this designed in function?
All I did was change the capacitors out so I can't imagine I altered the functionality. It is possible though that the computer needed a few hours of run time to properly adjust itself to being driven for the "first" time.