LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need instructions on R&R Driver side window regulator / motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-21, 09:09 AM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Need instructions on R&R Driver side window regulator / motor

It seems that my driver side window motor is bust. Strong smell of burned out electrics coming out of the door. The remote lock works, the other windows are fine, but when I opened the window to see if the electric smell was from outside, the window went down and stayed that way. I am quite sure I can hear the motor straining when I press the "UP" button (or - when I pull up on it to go up) but nothing happens.
I already have the new motor (used but OEM) and have removed the inside door skin, but the entire window assembly is hidden behind the inside metal panel which doesn't seem to come off.
I imagine I will need to unscrew the regulator and pull it out through the hole, but need to know exact procedure. For instance, can I even remove it with the window all the way down? How would I raise the window and how far? Should I remove the speaker as well? At what position does the window need to be so I can unscrew it from the regulator itself? Which screws exactly should I unscrew? (I don't want to loosen something I'm not supposed to). How do you line things up later when putting it all back together?
BTW, I paid for alldatadiy subscription and what a let-down. They have absolutely nothing on this, just two part numbers.
Old 01-14-21, 11:18 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
It seems that my driver side window motor is bust. Strong smell of burned out electrics coming out of the door. The remote lock works, the other windows are fine, but when I opened the window to see if the electric smell was from outside, the window went down and stayed that way. I am quite sure I can hear the motor straining when I press the "UP" button (or - when I pull up on it to go up) but nothing happens.
I already have the new motor (used but OEM) and have removed the inside door skin, but the entire window assembly is hidden behind the inside metal panel which doesn't seem to come off.
I imagine I will need to unscrew the regulator and pull it out through the hole, but need to know exact procedure. For instance, can I even remove it with the window all the way down? How would I raise the window and how far? Should I remove the speaker as well? At what position does the window need to be so I can unscrew it from the regulator itself? Which screws exactly should I unscrew? (I don't want to loosen something I'm not supposed to). How do you line things up later when putting it all back together?
BTW, I paid for alldatadiy subscription and what a let-down. They have absolutely nothing on this, just two part numbers.
Here you go, I used this to do my actuator years ago.
Old 01-14-21, 02:42 PM
peterls
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

You probably meant to attach something but forgot or it didn't work.
Can you post it again?
Old 01-15-21, 05:38 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by peterls
You probably meant to attach something but forgot or it didn't work.
Can you post it again?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ors-diy-3.html