LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coilover Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 09:46 AM
datstockls
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Coilover Options

Now before anybody tells me to "search goddamnit!!" don't worry, I have. But all of the informational threads about coilovers are several years, even decades old. I'm interested in people's FIRST hand experience with the cheaper coilover options for ls400's, like Truhart, Godspeed, maybe even Megans. I'm leaning towards the Truhart because it seems like a good bang for my buck and apparently go pretty low, but the non-adjustable dampening is stopping me from taking the dive. Now that these cars are 20+ years old, I'd like to get some feedback about some of the newer products on the market. Thanks in advance
Old 01-20-21, 01:42 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

What are your goals with the car? Daily, track, drift, burnout, show car?

What wheel\tire will you be running with the car? Stocks? 18's? 20's?

Both should be considered when choosing suspension components.
Old 01-20-21, 01:48 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
What are your goals with the car? Daily, track, drift, burnout, show car?

What wheel\tire will you be running with the car? Stocks? 18's? 20's?

Both should be considered when choosing suspension components.
It will be a daily/vip show car. I have some oem 18s off of an rx350 with 215/40 tires and spacers to get better fitment. I'm fine with a much stiffer ride as I've driven other absolutely dumped cars and broken my back, but am looking for something of decent quality for this car. For now, I'll run the coilovers at a conservative ride height while I do all the work needed to safely go low (motor/trans raise, wiring harness tuck, shortened subframe, upgraded arms and control arms if possible) and then swap out the springs for short swift/stance springs.
Old 01-20-21, 02:01 PM
400fanboy
Racer

I would find a more specific forum for show\VIP stance; here we're pretty focused on OEM & stock performance. I don't know how many people have gone down the route of full drop. Perhaps air suspension might also be something to look into as well.

I don't really have the answers you're looking for, but hopefully someone who does can comment.
Old 01-20-21, 02:07 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
I would find a more specific forum for show\VIP stance; here we're pretty focused on OEM & stock performance. I don't know how many people have gone down the route of full drop. Perhaps air suspension might also be something to look into as well.

I don't really have the answers you're looking for, but hopefully someone who does can comment.
Lol a majority of the people on here have modifications on their ls400, there are a few purists but I wouldn't call cl an "oem" focused forum. I don't need details on extreme drops and such, just looking for some more reviews of underspoken coilover brands. Air suspension is no-no for me haha! Do you know of any other sites/forums I could check out to get more info? Lexusownersclub is the only other one I'm familiar with and there isn't much on there also...Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-20-21, 03:46 PM
400fanboy
Racer

There are a few threads in the build forum about VIP builds. Run an advanced search for "VIP" in the thread title and you'll pull up about 3 pages of threads, though many are from 2012-2016 and not many are super recent.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...0-vip-way.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...p-project.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...vip-build.html

But there have got to be forums dedicated to this craft where there's got to be a collection of more information. Maybe I'm wrong though. I don't really know enough about this subject.

Originally Posted by datstockls
I don't need details on extreme drops and such, just looking for some more reviews of underspoken coilover brands
I mean, quoted below sounds pretty extreme to me if we're talking subframe and control arm modification.

For now, I'll run the coilovers at a conservative ride height while I do all the work needed to safely go low (motor/trans raise, wiring harness tuck, shortened subframe, upgraded arms and control arms if possible) and then swap out the springs for short swift/stance springs.
If I had to take a stab at it, whatever coilover fits the car, and has room to swap in those short stance springs is probably going to be your best option. I can't imagine the list of companies making that part is very large.

But I'm no expert on these things. Hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction here - best of luck.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 01-20-21 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-21-21, 03:40 PM
Tdoa1119
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I put Megan’s on my car about a year ago. Can’t complain the quality seems very good. I have them on the softest setting and I daily drive it and it rides good.
Old 01-21-21, 04:20 PM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

For "cheaper" coilover options don't rule out KSport. I am running them with a decent drop and they get the job done just fine. I think they retail around $1,000.
Old 01-21-21, 09:32 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tdoa1119
I put Megan’s on my car about a year ago. Can’t complain the quality seems very good. I have them on the softest setting and I daily drive it and it rides good.
About how much of a drop are you running on the Megans? And do you have an estimate on how low you think they could go fully maxed? Those are looking like the good middle ground at the moment and have solid rep for a fair price
Old 01-21-21, 09:33 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Originally Posted by EthanS
For "cheaper" coilover options don't rule out KSport. I am running them with a decent drop and they get the job done just fine. I think they retail around $1,000.
I had the chance to buy some used ones for a pretty good price but didn't have the money at the time I've heard good things from my honda/acura friends so I'll definitely take a look
Old 01-22-21, 07:46 AM
EthanS
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the chance to buy some used ones for a pretty good price but didn't have the money at the time I've heard good things from my honda/acura friends so I'll definitely take a look
I also run them on my s13, which has seen a fair amount of drifting track time over the last decade, and they are still holding up. KSport did not have a good rep in the 2000's when they first hit the market, but everything I have purchased from them from 2012+ has been great quality vs. cost.

Can't remember specifics but something like their gen 1 through gen 3 coilovers were subpar (and these days they will openly admit to that). From gen 4 until current they got their ****** together regarding their supplier/manufacturers. This is all vague info from their past employees, as they have never publicized different generations of products. But like I said anything from the past 7 to 8 years you get your money's worth.
To be honest, I went to high school down the street from their HQ and I have known a handful of their employees over the years. So my main reason for choosing KSport coilovers has been "homie hook-up" prices and locality.

Anyways... let us know what you end up choosing!
The following users liked this post:
400fanboy (01-22-21)