LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

First 1UZ-FE to throw a rod

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 10:49 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by relentLS
Well, the only way water gets into a cylinder without driving through a huge puddle is if the head gasket leaks coolant into the cylinder. Unless I'm missing something here.
Would have to be a huge and deep puddle given the location of the intake at the top
Old 01-30-21, 12:02 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Preluder
Well, if it's not the first, mine could be one of the few cases were a completely stock, well maintained engine breaks like this
(UCF20, 120k miles, all stock, up to date maintenance)

It's at the dealership right now, taking apart the top end to see what other damage is there. At this point, nobody can explain to me how this happened without showing any previous symptoms, car was running great for the past 3 years I've owned it.
Didn't show signs of blowing smoke, bubbling water, losing compression, no codes, etc. This obviously happened during acceleration but it was never over-revved as the gearbox is in perfect shape, and the limiter would kick in before.

So yeah, some thought 2020 was a terrible year?

Did timing belt break?

Rather than expending resources on sorting out what happened, replacement engine is the way to go...

Consider the 2001-2006 (Celsior) LS430 3UZ-FE (4.3 litre) engine instead of 1UZ-FE 4.0.
It is a plug and play proposition...

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nto-ls400.html

And this simple modification to water inlet housing:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/802539-ls430-water-inlet-housing-in-ls400.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/874542-ls430-engine-cover-on-ls400.html

Whichever engine, purchasing an engine rebuild gasket kit will save a fortune over individual gasket purchases

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-30-21 at 12:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (02-04-21)
Old 01-30-21, 03:41 AM
Preluder
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Did timing belt break?

Rather than expending resources on sorting out what happened, replacement engine is the way to go...

Consider the 2001-2006 (Celsior) LS430 3UZ-FE (4.3 litre) engine instead of 1UZ-FE 4.0.
It is a plug and play proposition...

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nto-ls400.html

And this simple modification to water inlet housing:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/802539-ls430-water-inlet-housing-in-ls400.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/874542-ls430-engine-cover-on-ls400.html

Whichever engine, purchasing an engine rebuild gasket kit will save a fortune over individual gasket purchases
Thanks for sharing the info! will know if the timing belt broke as soon as I hear back from the shop (most likely this week). It was due to replace this year from age, not miles. Inspected it not long ago and it was ok.

Whatever happened, yeah, an engine swap is definitely an option. Will probably be cheaper to import a complete engine rather to buy all new parts separately. Not entirely up to me though, but I guess they won't have a problem fitting a 3UZ if it comes to it.
Old 01-31-21, 10:20 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Ouch . That is as far as I know very uncommon. Getting water leakage into a cylinder that leaks enough to give hydrolock seems possible but talk about bad luck. Not a small crack in the head gasket which is what normally happens. More a big hole very suddenly. A failed cambelt with valve sallad sound more likely if it was due for replacement. Should be easy to see when you swap out the engine . Where I live these motors are a bit rare because people use them for other projects. Hope you find a good one.
Preluder (02-01-21)
Old 02-01-21, 05:46 AM
Preluder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikaelse
Ouch . That is as far as I know very uncommon. Getting water leakage into a cylinder that leaks enough to give hydrolock seems possible but talk about bad luck. Not a small crack in the head gasket which is what normally happens. More a big hole very suddenly. A failed cambelt with valve sallad sound more likely if it was due for replacement. Should be easy to see when you swap out the engine . Where I live these motors are a bit rare because people use them for other projects. Hope you find a good one.
According to Lexus there are around 5 or 6 of these cars on the road in this country, and I remember one being sold without an engine last year. Probably a few more of the 1st gen around, so most likely I will have to import whatever I need.

Bought mine from a Toyota dealership, and by checking with the P.O., timing belt was done at 80k miles. On a visual inspection it was good, and at less than 120k it had at least half it's life left, given they should last at least 90k according to Lexus (or 10 years, so it was good until 2025 according to records).

I guess I'll found out this week, when they schedule my car for a complete diagnostic.
Old 02-01-21, 10:45 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

wow sad to see what looks like a well kept stock example with no abuse with such a big engine failure. as stated this is certainly a rare occurrence, and likely an unfortunate circumstance of water entering the combustion chamber somehow. very curious to see what the mechanics find!
Preluder (02-01-21)
Old 02-01-21, 11:26 AM
Preluder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sargon
You're paying $100 an hour (or more) for a gunk boy (not an engineer) to make sense of something he's never seen before and may never see again.
Get another engine and be done with it.
No way I'll be paying that much (This is Argentina), but you're right about the gunk boys.
I've decided to go the "official" way because it's easier to import big parts from them if needed to, keep in mind I cannot just go out and buy another engine. I wish I could, but not in this country.
Old 02-01-21, 11:38 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

No way I'll be paying that much (This is Argentina), but you're right about the gunk boys.
I've decided to go the "official" way because it's easier to import big parts from them if needed to, keep in mind I cannot just go out and buy another engine. I wish I could, but not in this country.
Can you expand on that?
Am always interested in learning how beaurocracy works.
Here I thought you had some type of insurance claim.
The engine is destroyed...is there a Statute that requires you to obtain a mechanic's survey before you can purchase another engine?
Or does the fact that it is a replacement engine eliminate import duties.
What prevents you from just purchasing another engine?

Old 02-01-21, 12:06 PM
Preluder
Driver School Candidate

Can you expand on that?
Am always interested in learning how beaurocracy works.
Here I thought you had some type of insurance claim.
The engine is destroyed...is there a Statute that requires you to obtain a mechanic's survey before you can purchase another engine?
Or does the fact that it is a replacement engine eliminate import duties.
What prevents you from just purchasing another engine?
Ok, from the top:

No insurance claim, but there's an import taxes and shipping exception from going through Lexus themselves to buy parts, so that's why they're my first choice.
Market price for these cars are $7-$8k today, so if it gets out of that budget, I'll have to consider other options.

On my own, legally, there's no way to import a used engine, let alone any used spare part. It's forbidden by law (we have other means, of course...)

Importing a complete engine through the grey (well... black) market would cost me more than the car is worth. If it comes to that, I'll do my research and see what's possible or not depending on costs.

I've been told of a guy who builds drift cars here, that has a spare 1UZ, so who knows, might end up going that way. Either buying the engine from him, or offering the entire car to get some money back.

I've ordered a complete diagnostic because I want to know what went wrong. It's a personal thing, because I really took care of this car and everything was within schedule.
If I missed something, at least I'd like to know what it was, might learn a thing or two.
Old 02-01-21, 01:52 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

When you've been taking great care of the car, it becomes more than just a car so I fully understand why you really want to find out what had happened & will try everything to get it back from the dead. I appreciate that. The dealer should be able to find the root cause of the failure soon. Btw, your English writing is great so are you an American or English's speaking person living in Argentina?
Preluder (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21, 09:59 AM
Preluder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Superfast1
When you've been taking great care of the car, it becomes more than just a car so I fully understand why you really want to find out what had happened & will try everything to get it back from the dead. I appreciate that. The dealer should be able to find the root cause of the failure soon. Btw, your English writing is great so are you an American or English's speaking person living in Argentina?
Thanks, and yeah I don't see myself replacing the LS400 for anything. I mean, I have other cars, but I think it's worth keeping this one alive and I'd like to drive it as long as I can.
Hopefully will get an answer this week. In the meantime I've found a complete 1UZ for $1600 USD. Since I've paid $7k for the car, is not as crazy as it sounds.

And thanks for the comment on my english, I really appreciate it. It's my second language and I'm mostly self taught, though I've had my share of lessons as a kid, in and out of school as well.
Got to admit that I've learned a lot through music, tv shows and movies. Been working with people from around the world for many years, that sure helped a lot.
Old 02-03-21, 11:00 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks, and yeah I don't see myself replacing the LS400 for anything. I mean, I have other cars, but I think it's worth keeping this one alive and I'd like to drive it as long as I can.
Hopefully will get an answer this week. In the meantime I've found a complete 1UZ for $1600 USD. Since I've paid $7k for the car, is not as crazy as it sounds.

And thanks for the comment on my english, I really appreciate it. It's my second language and I'm mostly self taught, though I've had my share of lessons as a kid, in and out of school as well.
Got to admit that I've learned a lot through music, tv shows and movies. Been working with people from around the world for many years, that sure helped a lot.
It would be worth getting engine rebuilt or replaced as these things will last longer than most new cars.
Preluder (02-03-21)
Old 02-03-21, 12:22 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

Since you've already have the car at the dealer, you should wait to find out what had happened then see if the engine is salvageable. If it is then it's better to rebuild than swapping it with another one not really knowing the condition of it. Shop around for a reputable local independent rebuild shop rather than the dealer to save some money. While at it, you can have them replace the starter (it's a must if it hasn't been replaced) & clean the upper intake manifold, throttle body, fuel injectors, etc... then you can sleep better at night knowing it'll last for another 20 years. Good luck & keep us posted.
Preluder (02-10-21)
Old 02-03-21, 01:56 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Superfast1
Since you've already have the car at the dealer, you should wait to find out what had happened then see if the engine is salvageable. If it is then it's better to rebuild than swapping it with another one not really knowing the condition of it. Shop around for a reputable local independent rebuild shop rather than the dealer to save some money. While at it, you can have them replace the starter (it's a must if it hasn't been replaced) & clean the upper intake manifold, throttle body, fuel injectors, etc... then you can sleep better at night knowing it'll last for another 20 years. Good luck & keep us posted.
Rebuilding an Aluminum block 1UZFE engine after a thrown connecting rod? Crankshaft is going to be OK?

Cylinder heads and valves unscathed?

I'm in U.S.A. where there are plenty of spare engines and parts available.

O.P. is in Argentina.

Whether here or there, competent engine rebuilding is going to cost much more than obtaining a low mileage used engine.
According to OP, there are only a handful of LS400s in Country.
It is a real challenge to find anyone Stateside that can do anything but change an entire engine or transmission.

The correct valvesprings are no longer available from Toyota for the VVTi 1UZ-FE....

In fact, I have a VVTi shortblock that I would be happy to donate to OP...if he picks up freight from Chicago.
The cylinder heads may be available.

Preluder (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 01:20 AM
Preluder
Driver School Candidate

Rebuilding an Aluminum block 1UZFE engine after a thrown connecting rod? Crankshaft is going to be OK?

Cylinder heads and valves unscathed?

I'm in U.S.A. where there are plenty of spare engines and parts available.

O.P. is in Argentina.

Whether here or there, competent engine rebuilding is going to cost much more than obtaining a low mileage used engine.
According to OP, there are only a handful of LS400s in Country.
It is a real challenge to find anyone Stateside that can do anything but change an entire engine or transmission.

The correct valvesprings are no longer available from Toyota for the VVTi 1UZ-FE....

In fact, I have a VVTi shortblock that I would be happy to donate to OP...if he picks up freight from Chicago.
The cylinder heads may be available.
Wow, thanks, I'll definitely keep that offer in mind. Right now, I've got the quote to tear down the engine and find out what happened. Asked them to check the timing belt first, and turns out it didn't snapped.
That was my first guess, but it's still in good shape as this pic was taken yesterday:

So, on the official dealership quote: 20 hours of labor for around $17 USD an hour (I know, I live in Argentina), to tear down the engine and find the source of the problem. Will get a proper idea of what's salvageable or not.
Most definitely need a new block. But at least the heads and valves might be saved after all.
Since at least one rod snapped, the lower half is still on the crankshaft so that might have survived as well (hopefully!).

Quick Reply: First 1UZ-FE to throw a rod