LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 01:47 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Coilovers

I'm interested in getting a set of aftermarket coilovers however not if they are going to be too stiff... Does anybody know the stock F & R spring rates in a '98 LS400 ?
Old 02-01-21, 10:17 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

stock spring rates are pretty soft but i don't know the exact number.

full bodied aftermarket coilovers will be much stiffer compared to stock for certain due to the size of the springs alone, however for me it's not entirely unbearable - of course that's subjective!
even at the softest coilover spring rates i am aware of (10k/8k) they were stiffer. i ran BC Racing BR coilovers with standard rates on my 97. a friend had Megan Racing EZ coilovers and they felt almost the same. i had them damped at about 15/20 clicks from soft, 36 being the stiffest. Megan EZs are not damping adjustable.
Old 02-01-21, 06:37 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
stock spring rates are pretty soft but i don't know the exact number.

full bodied aftermarket coilovers will be much stiffer compared to stock for certain due to the size of the springs alone, however for me it's not entirely unbearable - of course that's subjective!
even at the softest coilover spring rates i am aware of (10k/8k) they were stiffer. i ran BC Racing BR coilovers with standard rates on my 97. a friend had Megan Racing EZ coilovers and they felt almost the same. i had them damped at about 15/20 clicks from soft, 36 being the stiffest. Megan EZs are not damping adjustable.
Yes 10kg8kg seems to be the 'softest' in aftermarket coilovers... I only want 10-15% stiffer... I'm 60 years old... when I bought the LS 12 years ago i drove it like a sports car.. put Bilstein shocks in, had a bigger, solid rear sway bar made which all made a significant difference however the springs are too soft for my liking. After losing my license several times and the city where I live is infested with speed cameras I really only drive like everyone else... just with the flow of the traffic.... however, I would like the ride to be a bit more 'taught'.... .. .. I kind of find it odd that not one of the guys selling aftermarket coilovers knows what the stock spring rates are.... I would have thought you would have needed to know that to make aftermarket copies ?

Last edited by fastegg; 02-01-21 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-01-21, 06:40 PM
fastegg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sargon
The spring size does not determine the rate.
Every spring that lowers the car is stiffer than stock.
What do you mean 'spring size' ?
Old 02-01-21, 08:22 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

stock spring size is much larger in diameter, if you are looking at the spring from the top or bottom, compared to full bodied coilovers.

the following are pictures from my air suspension thread. below is stock versus my BC Racing coilover (but i replaced the spring with an air bag).

compare the air bag to the coilover spring itself below; the coilover bag is closer in diameter to the stock spring. this is what i mean by spring size. in order to hold a heavy car like the UCF20, the springs need to be pretty stiff over stock.
Old 02-02-21, 05:07 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

stock spring size is much larger in diameter, if you are looking at the spring from the top or bottom, compared to full bodied coilovers.

the following are pictures from my air suspension thread. below is stock versus my BC Racing coilover (but i replaced the spring with an air bag).

compare the air bag to the coilover spring itself below; the coilover bag is closer in diameter to the stock spring. this is what i mean by spring size. in order to hold a heavy car like the UCF20, the springs need to be pretty stiff over stock.
Yes I understand.... trouble is I don't want stiff springs.. I'm after a little bit firmer 10-15% but that's it. ..... Could you please take a photo of the stock strut next to that aftermarket one (with the spring) ?.... just like to see the difference....
Old 02-02-21, 10:27 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

unfortunately i don't have the LS any longer as well as the coilovers.

as mentioned by sargon, any lowering spring will have a higher spring rate compared to stock. of course they will lower the ride height too.
lowering springs are very different from full bodied coilovers I have pictured. lowering springs replace the factory springs over the stock shocks, and will likely be what you are looking for; 10-15% stiffer.

more from the FAQ:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...er-thread.html

Old 02-06-21, 05:52 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

unfortunately i don't have the LS any longer as well as the coilovers.

as mentioned by sargon, any lowering spring will have a higher spring rate compared to stock. of course they will lower the ride height too.
lowering springs are very different from full bodied coilovers I have pictured. lowering springs replace the factory springs over the stock shocks, and will likely be what you are looking for; 10-15% stiffer.

more from the FAQ:
Trouble is, i don't want the car lowered anymore than stock.... i just want slightly firmer springs