LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

"Need help" Parasitic drainage on 95' Lexus LS400

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 11:48 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I believe in the old LS the seats are always live, even when the car is shut off and no key in the ignition. Parasitic drain can be as simple as a stuck switch on a seat.
All this happened to me after I had gotten my back from the shop to get a timing job done.
Old 02-22-21, 11:50 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
I believe in the old LS the seats are always live, even when the car is shut off and no key in the ignition. Parasitic drain can be as simple as a stuck switch on a seat.
Thanks I'll do my best to troubleshoot it
Old 02-22-21, 11:51 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

Originally Posted by winterturb
Report back when you get it solved
Thanks, will do
Old 02-22-21, 11:53 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

Originally Posted by winterturb
You likely have corroded wire somewhere. Take it to a mechanic who specializes in finding electrical shorts as these problems can be hard to find and cost a fortune to find if you don’t have the right guy looking.
I got ya....Thanks
Old 02-22-21, 11:54 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
The important first step is to find out which line is causing the drainage.
You can check it quickly as is shown here.
Thanks again Yamae, I will start back on it Wednesday.
Old 02-22-21, 03:28 PM
Leximum
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like an ECU problem. Any cars in a hot clime region at that age would be vulnerable to heat. Heat is the culprit for a whole lot of electronic mayhem in a car of that age.
You can have a chat with this guy.....Josh Beaumont, Lexus ECU & Dash Cluster, Repair Service.
You can always find him on Facebook too.

http://www.relentlessmotorsportstexas.com
https://relentlessmotorsportsllc.com/
Old 02-22-21, 04:17 PM
Wesley39
Rookie

Originally Posted by Leximum
It sounds like an ECU problem. Any cars in a hot clime region at that age would be vulnerable to heat. Heat is the culprit for a whole lot of electronic mayhem in a car of that age.
You can have a chat with this guy.....Josh Beaumont, Lexus ECU & Dash Cluster, Repair Service.

https://relentlessmotorsportsllc.com/
okay thanks.... I have a question though... are you referring to the Body control module? I recently bought a refurbished ecu from ebay..
Old 02-23-21, 12:13 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
The important first step is to find out which line is causing the drainage.
You can check it quickly as is shown here.
Thanks Yamae.. I'm going to start back on it today...
Old 02-23-21, 12:16 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

[QUOTE=Leximum;10999236]It sounds like an ECU problem. Any cars in a hot clime region at that age would be vulnerable to heat. Heat is the culprit for a whole lot of electronic mayhem in a car of that age.

Thanks I'll check him out
Old 02-23-21, 11:25 PM
Leximum
Rookie

Wesley,
Yamae! sounds like a martial art referee, eh?
ECU or BCM, both are the same animal but different names though! I don't know why the two names are not even close, but they are the same real McCoy!.
I am not a mechanic, but my engineering training and experience tell me that there cannot be so many different issues popping up all at once. Some of them are not even electrically related, such as the FOB and your seat memory which is controlled by your ECU. ECU or ECM or BCM basically is a computer masterminding the entire car. I am told there are capacitors, many of them in an ECU, some get fried because of the heat. If you get a chance to chat with Josh, he would tell you many horrible things that'd turn you off from buying a refurbished unit from eBay. I read some of his write-ups on FB. A Japanese luxury car needs capacitors made in Japan and not any look-a-like capacitors. Apparently, he knows the source from Japan.
Old 02-24-21, 12:50 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

Wesley,
ECU or BCM, both are the same animal but different names though! I don't know why the two names are not even close, but they are the same real McCoy!.
I am not a mechanic, but my engineering training and experience tell me that there cannot be so many different issues popping up all at once. Some of them are not even electrically related, such as the FOB and your seat memory which is controlled by your ECU. ECU or ECM or BCM basically is a computer masterminding the entire car. I am told there are capacitors, many of them in an ECU, some get fried because of the heat. If you get a chance to chat with Josh, he would tell you many horrible things that'd turn you off from buying a refurbished unit from eBay. I read some of his write-ups on FB. A Japanese luxury car needs capacitors made in Japan and not any look-a-like capacitors. Apparently, he knows the source from Japan.
oh ok, I understand now. I'm tried to locate him from the link but it didn't allow me to get through, but I'm about to try again now. Thanks
Old 02-24-21, 08:39 AM
Wesley39
Rookie

Wesley,
Morning, just giving you an update, I talked to Jason and I told him what issues I was having and he told me that it's not an ecu problem,so I'm going to listen to Yamae and troubleshoot it for a parasitic draw... Thanks
Old 02-24-21, 09:03 AM
Leximum
Rookie

Well, thank you for the update. It's always good to have a 2nd opinion on all matters in life. I learned something new today. It has been an educational discussion. Good luck with your solution search.
Old 03-05-21, 05:25 PM
Wesley39
Rookie

Default Update on my parasitic drainage

Well, thank you for the update. It's always good to have a 2nd opinion on all matters in life. I learned something new today. It has been an educational discussion. Good luck with your solution search.
I solved my parasitic problem. 2 problems at once with my car. 1st problem was that I brought a new bad battery, and the other problem was my radio was blowing fuses because it was burnt. Getting back to the battery it was able to hold a charge for a day or two but it was still bad but thing was autozone kept saying it was good because it held a charge, until 1 day I charged my battery up and went to start my car and after the second crank it went dead. Walmart confirmed it. So I solved that problem; now I'm trying to get my key remote to work. Thanks to everyone who reached out to me to help, I greatly appreciated it.