LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 Transmission not downshifting/engine braking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 10:33 AM
Cp2295
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just noticed today on my way to work on the highway that when i select 3rd the car would attempt to shift into it and then stop and go down to idle. That was the only gear that would do that. The only time the torque converter is locked (stays at rpm when i let off) is in drive. The other gears seem to make it just go down to idle.

it also for some reason seemed to be downshifting much better today for whatever reason. If i manually hold it in a select gear while accelerating it'll stay there until i shift.

in drive if I'm floored it seems to upshift way too quick. Like 4500 rpm.
Old 03-01-21, 01:27 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

Just hooked up to my scanner at work and I've got two transmission codes. P0715 input/turbine speed sensor circuits fault. And P0763 shift solenoid "c" electrical.
Old 03-01-21, 02:00 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

Just hooked up to my scanner at work and I've got two transmission codes. P0715 input/turbine speed sensor circuits fault. And P0763 shift solenoid "c" electrical.
Old 03-01-21, 03:56 PM
Yamae

Received 882 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Does that have anything to do with the hard 1-2 shift after just starting the car? Because it seems like every LS shifts hard exactly once, but then never again. Or is this a separate thing.
My 98 Celsior doesn't behave like that. It always shifts flawlessly. All other Celsiors I know are so. I worry that yours and others you know are not normal.
Old 03-01-21, 06:10 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 421 Likes on 328 Posts

The Transmission section of this post apply to both of you:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10411641

Originally Posted by Cp2295
Well there are some boogie men for you to chase as well. Godspeed sir, this is beyond my wheelhouse. I wish you the best of luck.

One interesting thing I did find is information from the above thread I linked which is interesting:

I've seen some cars throw a P0763 "Shift Solenoid C Electrical" code intermittently that will clear itself after one or two days. It seems to be more common on the GS400 and my GS did that a couple of times, but never on the LS. Could be possibly caused by a particle in some dirty transmission fluid getting stuck in the solenoid then clearing out and some have reported fixing it completely after a transmission flush, or some electrical contacts in the solenoid getting bent out of shape. On my GS draining and filling the fluid a few times only fixed it temporarily and it was resolved by replacing the solenoid.

Google the code, start doing some digging. This was the first thread to pop up on the search for P0763 shift solenoid "c":
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...oid-fixed.html

Originally Posted by Yamae
My 98 Celsior doesn't behave like that. It always shifts flawlessly. All other Celsiors I know are so. I worry that yours and others you know are not normal.
According to the above thread, it's normal behavior. And I don't have any other resources, but I've seen it come up here on the forums multiple times from different people reporting the same behavior. But yeah, first shift of the day rev hangs and will not shift until ~2700rpm. Always the first shift of the day, every time, only ever happens once. Shifts completely normally until the car sits for several hours and is completely cold.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 03-01-21 at 06:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (12-21-22)
Old 03-01-21, 07:53 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
The trans itself shifts pretty lazily, though that being said, it is pretty accurate and gets it done quickly. Better than many modern cars I've been in. It's a damn fine trans from it's era, think of your typical automatic transmissions from the 90's and you don't have fond memories. Not to mention the CVT **** that's going around these days...
if you're just driving casually it's genuinely CVT smooth, but has so much more performance potential and of course better enables that high rpm 32 valve symphony

also there should't be a hard 1-2 cold shift, until the coolant temp has reached about 100°F it will hold 2nd until 2500rpm and then lazily shift into 3rd (but only the first time per cold start) but still very smoothly

compared to the 9 speed in the C300 it's far more enjoyable to use, besides being CVT smooth it can also be DCT seamless in terms of how there's just no interruption in power between shifts... the 9 speed has to accelerate in a gear and then take care of the shifting, not do both at once like the A650, not to mention it can be very clunky... idk how 90s toyota did it but i swear that was really the peak of cars
Old 03-01-21, 08:10 PM
clipster
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

With my 98 that I acquired in 04 with 70K, I've only had two transmission issues. First was long ago when I put some Valvoline ATF in there that stated on the bottle that is was 'compatible with Toyota T4'. Big mistake - it took several flushes with T4 to get it back to normal, but once I did all was good again. To the OP - do you know for sure that its T4 in there?

My second issue is happening now. Despite having performed timely maintenance all these years, at 222K the transmission sometimes feels like its downshifting if I let off the gas for a moment then reapply but is really re-engaging with the same gear it was in. Nothing major, but a new quirk that wasn't there before.

I read somewhere that the average lifespan of the tranny is 300K (the million mile LS400 was on its third) - so it could be that the OP with 270K is just nearing the end of its life.
Old 03-01-21, 08:54 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

That may be the case. If it was I'd get a JDM engine and trans combo as my engine is on its way out too. Changed rod bearings in the rig to fix a little knock it has and it didn't get any better. I think i got a wrist pin or something going out, but hey after 5000 miles it hasn't gotten any worse so i figured I'll run it till she blows lol.

In my 96 I flushed it out with valvoline maxlife and i really liked how it made the transmission perform, i was planning on doing that with this trans but i guess i better stick with the T-IV?

i got on alldata and found some info on the codes. I'm gonna ohm the speed sensor and see if its good. And I'm gonna pop the pan off and see what shift solenoid c ohms out at and put some power to it to see if it clicks. Hopefully i find something bad on both of them, would be much easier than trying to test the wiring and ECU.
Old 03-27-21, 09:30 AM
Cp2295
Rookie

Default Fixed!

Pulled the speed sensor and ohmed it out. Came out just above spec so i got a new one and fixed that code. Then i pulled the pan and pulled shift solenoid 3 and tried jumping power to it and it would not activate. I then began messing with the connector end and it started working. I put a ziptie around the body between the connector to space it out and everything works perfect now. Car feels so much nicer to drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cp2295:
BNastee (12-21-22), sdls (03-27-21)
Old 03-27-21, 11:19 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Pulled the speed sensor and ohmed it out. Came out just above spec so i got a new one and fixed that code. Then i pulled the pan and pulled shift solenoid 3 and tried jumping power to it and it would not activate. I then began messing with the connector end and it started working. I put a ziptie around the body between the connector to space it out and everything works perfect now. Car feels so much nicer to drive.
great job! And thanks for the follow up post.
Old 03-27-21, 12:29 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

Originally Posted by sdls
great job! And thanks for the follow up post.
yeah for sure, i always hate it when you come across a thread and the op has the same symptoms but never reports a damn solution! Lol. I was happy i was able to get the solenoid to work. $300 for a new one was not something i was interested in
sdls (03-27-21)
Old 03-27-21, 02:49 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

I put a ziptie around the body between the connector to space it out and everything works perfect now. Car feels so much nicer to drive.
And that's this weeks "Roadkill zip tie moment"?
Everyone should have zip ties in their toolbox. Just as valuable as duct tape.
Cp2295 (03-28-21)
Old 03-28-21, 02:14 AM
Cp2295
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
And that's this weeks "Roadkill zip tie moment"?
Everyone should have zip ties in their toolbox. Just as valuable as duct tape.
i would personally say more valuable!
Old 12-19-22, 08:45 AM
mtarte
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry...posting this in the wrong place.

Last edited by mtarte; 12-19-22 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-19-22, 12:26 PM
Cp2295
Rookie

I would like to leave an update, transmission is still working fantastic!
BNastee (12-21-22)

Quick Reply: 98 LS400 Transmission not downshifting/engine braking?