LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

AC recirculation button always resets

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-21, 08:37 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default AC recirculation button always resets

I hope this isn't just how it's supposed to work but I've noticed that every time I get into my 98, I have to switch it to be in outside air mode. Aside from this being annoying, it's counterproductive to Lexus' own manual that says "For normal use, it is best to keep the air intake control button set to OUTSIDE AIR mode." Instead, every time I start the car up it has reset to recirculated mode.

Is this just the way it is or is something not working correctly that I can fix?
Old 03-02-21, 08:43 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,907 Likes on 2,452 Posts

The HVAC controller is programmed this way, not sure if it can be reprogrammed.
Old 03-02-21, 05:18 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

If you have techstream I believe you can change this setting but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 03-03-21, 09:35 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Just cause the car wants me to look like an idiot it worked fine yesterday and stayed in outside air. I guess I need to investigate further.
Old 03-03-21, 10:10 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

I believe it may have to do w/ your temperature setting & the outside temperature.
Old 03-03-21, 10:29 AM
bradland

Received 684 Likes on 560 Posts

Does the Smog Vent sensor have anything to do with this...?
It resides directly behind the grill.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (02-08-22)
Old 03-03-21, 04:24 PM
kambam3627
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I tried this with TIS (techstream) and you can in fact change the setting as the other user implied.
Old 03-03-21, 11:19 PM
clipster
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

In my 98 - If the air is on when I turn the car off it will remember its previous setting the next time I start the car and the air comes on automatically (I prefer to keep it in recirc mode). If I turn the air off while the car is on it will always go back to outside air the next time the air is turned on.
Old 03-04-21, 06:21 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Originally Posted by kambam3627
I tried this with TIS (techstream) and you can in fact change the setting as the other user implied.
I thought the dealer option change was for the A/C being on? I'm talking about just getting in and out of the car.

But maybe the A/C was on for the heater all the other times and I didn't notice. I'll just have to keep an eye on it.
Old 03-06-21, 07:32 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Here's a link to my post from 11 years ago that has a PDF that shows the settings that can be customized including the one you want: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post5244252
The following users liked this post:
timmy0tool (03-09-21)
Old 03-07-21, 10:00 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Thanks, Kansas. I read that over and I think that setting is for when you're running the AC (at least that's how it reads, I haven't tried modifying it). My issue is (I think, after more monitoring) that if I've run the AC recently but turned it off, even after switching to pass through air (instead of recirculate) that the next time I turn the car on, it will have reset to recirculate. During this whole time, the blower motor and AC are off.
Old 03-09-21, 09:16 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

i've seen the recir reset in my LS even without the HVAC on so i've thought for years it's just a setting that "times out". never knew it could be changed via TIS!
Old 02-07-22, 03:57 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the same happens in my '97. depending on the temperature you have set, the interior and outside temperature has an effect on the hvac. if it's hot in the car, and way above the temp you have set, it would turn on recirc when the ac is on to quickly cool the car down. if it's cool inside and the outside is warmer depending on whether ac is on or off, and what temp you have set, say 74, it would switch in outside air to warm up the interior. i've gotten used to this behavior. i find it's quicker to cool down the interior of the car by rolling a window down and putting air on in outside mode, that pushes the warm out of the window quicker than recirculate which doesn't push air out the window to cool down the interior. recirculate is similar to 'max' setting in other cars, which recirculates air inside the car back past the cooling/heat elements, but never worked quickly enough for me.
Old 02-07-22, 05:34 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Climate Control Airflow-Temperature Sensors

Originally Posted by dlcoffin
the same happens in my '97. depending on the temperature you have set, the interior and outside temperature has an effect on the hvac. if it's hot in the car, and way above the temp you have set, it would turn on recirc when the ac is on to quickly cool the car down. if it's cool inside and the outside is warmer depending on whether ac is on or off, and what temp you have set, say 74, it would switch in outside air to warm up the interior. i've gotten used to this behavior. i find it's quicker to cool down the interior of the car by rolling a window down and putting air on in outside mode, that pushes the warm out of the window quicker than recirculate which doesn't push air out the window to cool down the interior. recirculate is similar to 'max' setting in other cars, which recirculates air inside the car back past the cooling/heat elements, but never worked quickly enough for me.
Check condition of your interior air temperature sensors...
Resistive elements in HVAC airstream become coated with dust and may not provide accurate reading to climate control unit....so possibly a contributing factor.

I believe there are three; One in each dashboard side vent duct and a third in lower driver's side dash pad....

Square vent in lower drivers side dash panel. If unsure of disassembly procedure, then acquire a shop manual...or seek experienced help, otherwise you will break things..

Resistive element is coated with 23 years of dust cannot provide accurate input to Climate Control. Lightly use a Q-tip to remove dust...

Last edited by YODAONE; 02-07-22 at 05:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by YODAONE:
BNastee (02-08-22), dlcoffin (02-07-22)
Old 02-07-22, 07:32 PM
dlcoffin
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

as always, you are a veritable fount of information. question: the dash side vents that blow towards me, or the output to the door ventilation?

Quick Reply: AC recirculation button always resets