LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need Help: Strange Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-21, 08:09 AM
CarNerd400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Need Help: Strange Issues

Hello all! I don't post a lot on here, but i have finally been stumped. So, I drive a 1998 LS 400, 193k, and recently, the alternator went bad. after replacing said alternator, only about 3 days later the starter kicked the bucket as well. I was able to replace that just fine, and it cranked perfectly. it wouldn't start though. i replaced some other things as well, including the right vvt solenoid, and a coolant temp sensor. after all was said and done, it still failed to start. i shot in some starting fluid, and it ran on the starting fluid. so I know its a fuel issue. i undid the supply fuel line, and tried to crank it and nothing came out. am i missing something? any insight is much appreciated!

Last edited by CarNerd400; 03-03-21 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 10:16 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Check the fuse & fuel filter.
Old 03-03-21, 10:37 AM
CarNerd400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Superfast1
Check the fuse & fuel filter.
Awesome I will do that. Checked the fuse, not the filter yet. I'll check the filter today and post here how that goes.
Old 03-03-21, 10:54 AM
bradland

Received 688 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by CarNerd400
Hello all! I don't post a lot on here, but i have finally been stumped. So, I drive a 1998 LS 400, 193k, and recently, the alternator went bad. after replacing said alternator, only about 3 days later the starter kicked the bucket as well. I was able to replace that just fine, and it cranked perfectly. it wouldn't start though. i replaced some other things as well, including the right vvt solenoid, and a coolant temp sensor. after all was said and done, it still failed to start. i shot in some starting fluid, and it ran on the starting fluid. so I know its a fuel issue. i undid the supply fuel line, and tried to crank it and nothing came out. am i missing something? any insight is much appreciated!
It may well be a fuel issue but based on the recent alt and starter issues it's prob rooted in electrical. The ECU will cut off fuel pump power when some electrical components have failed causing the issue to appear fuel-related when it's actually another issue altogether...

Last edited by bradland; 03-03-21 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 11:10 AM
CarNerd400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
It may well be a fuel issue but based on the recent alt and starter issues it's prob rooted in electrical. The ECU will cut off fuel pump power when some electrical components have failed causing the issue to appear fuel-related when it's actually another issue altogether...
I initially thought this. But I know the ecu is good, and I have quadruple checked all my connections and sensors. Earlier it threw a p0115, which is coolant temp sensor, I replaced it, issue remains. I will look into it, but I will do the fuel filter first.
Old 03-03-21, 11:22 AM
bradland

I initially thought this. But I know the ecu is good, and I have quadruple checked all my connections and sensors. Earlier it threw a p0115, which is coolant temp sensor, I replaced it, issue remains. I will look into it, but I will do the fuel filter first.
The ECU is not in question it's simply doing its job when it doesn't receive a signal from certain electrical components. Where did you buy the new VVTi solenoid? Please don't say eBay or Autozone...
Have you checked the cam position sensor under the drivers side cam gear cover?
Old 03-03-21, 11:36 AM
CarNerd400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradland
The ECU is not in question it's simply doing its job when it doesn't receive a signal from certain electrical components. Where did you buy the new VVTi solenoid? Please don't say eBay or Autozone...
Have you checked the cam position sensor under the drivers side cam gear cover?
I got the vvt solenoid from my local Lexus dealer. Haven't checked the cam position sensor, just seems like like weird thing to fail at the exact same time.
Old 03-03-21, 11:52 AM
bradland

I got the vvt solenoid from my local Lexus dealer. Haven't checked the cam position sensor, just seems like like weird thing to fail at the exact same time.
The cam position sensor doesn't have a high failure rate BUT occasionally gets disconnected or even severed (wires) while doing other work. Def worth a look
Old 03-03-21, 12:19 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

I've replaced both starters on my 97 & 00 LS a few years ago & the later was much easier to replace as the plenum & upper intake manifold can come out as 1-piece. If you haven't touched any other components beside the plenum/intake manifold, fuel rails/injectors, etc... & if it's not the fuse and/or fuel filter then most likely it's your fuel pump which resides inside the tank, especially if it's still original. My 97 went out at 200K miles. Since you've stated it cranked but no fuel so that could be it. It's very easy to replace by just removing the backseat & pop the metal round cover. If it's indeed the fuel pump then you should replace the inline fuel filter by the rear axle as well. Good luck.
Old 03-03-21, 12:21 PM
CarNerd400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Superfast1
I've replaced both starters on my 97 & 00 LS a few years ago & the later was much easier to replace as the plenum & upper intake manifold can come out as 1-piece. If you haven't touched any other components beside the plenum/intake manifold, fuel rails/injectors, etc... & if it's not the fuse and/or fuel filter then most likely it's your fuel pump which resides inside the tank, especially if it's still original. My 97 went out at 200K miles. Since you've stated it cranked but no fuel so that could be it. It's very easy to replace by just removing the backseat & pop the metal round cover. If it's indeed the fuel pump then you should replace the inline fuel filter by the rear axle as well. Good luck.
Thank you so much for the help! I will take a look at these things and we will see what happens!