LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus Motor Swap In My F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21 | 06:40 AM
1UZFord
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus Motor Swap In My F150

So I have a Ford F150 that I want to motor swap but I don’t want to do a LS or a Coyote swap, I wanted to do something different. I’m planning on doing a 1UZ-FE VVT-i motor out of a 1998-2000 Lexus LS400 and adding a Eaton M112 supercharger from a 2nd Gen Lightning and I will be only doing 5-10 Pounds of boost. I wanted to know if anyone on here has supercharged their 1UZFE & how much horsepower did they make ? Also, if you ever rebuilt or modified your motor what did you have done to it, what exhaust would go great with this motor, & what transmission options do you recommend ?
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (03-11-21)
Old 03-06-21 | 10:05 AM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Years ago I boosted my 96 for improved drivability with a Vortech V2 SQ SC-trim supercharger and a huge supercharger pulley- almost 4”. It ran very low boost levels but I didn’t have an intercooler and didn’t run any fuel enrichment since the dyno showed it was running pig rich at full throttle even when boosted. It was perfectly reliable and even passed Cali smog without any fuss since I showed the carb eo number on the nameplate to the inspector. Hee hee
Anyway it was exactly what the old motor needed and made the car fun to drive.

To answer your question about horsepower, well, the number was really low. Only 250rwhp and 250lb-ft of torque. I could have brought it up well past 300 if I wanted with a smaller pulley, computer modifications and an intercooler but I was really happy with the driving feel and wanted to keep the car 100% Lexus reliable, which it ended up being. The total cost to supercharge was really quite low, only about $1400 including a new supercharger.

Last edited by sdls; 03-06-21 at 10:12 AM.
BNastee (03-11-21)
Old 03-06-21 | 10:16 AM
400fanboy
Racer

This guy swapped a 1UZ, supercharged it and even a manual T-56. Probably a lot of custom fab work though.

Old 03-07-21 | 04:40 AM
1UZFord
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdls
Years ago I boosted my 96 for improved drivability with a Vortech V2 SQ SC-trim supercharger and a huge supercharger pulley- almost 4”. It ran very low boost levels but I didn’t have an intercooler and didn’t run any fuel enrichment since the dyno showed it was running pig rich at full throttle even when boosted. It was perfectly reliable and even passed Cali smog without any fuss since I showed the carb eo number on the nameplate to the inspector. Hee hee
Anyway it was exactly what the old motor needed and made the car fun to drive.

To answer your question about horsepower, well, the number was really low. Only 250rwhp and 250lb-ft of torque. I could have brought it up well past 300 if I wanted with a smaller pulley, computer modifications and an intercooler but I was really happy with the driving feel and wanted to keep the car 100% Lexus reliable, which it ended up being. The total cost to supercharge was really quite low, only about $1400 including a new supercharger.
Thank You! Yeah I was surprised the super chargers for really cheap, cheaper than buying one for a coyote or LS & that fine I just want something to have fun with and still be more reliable because my V6 is a 4.2 & it’s just killing me with gas & that’s after I did a complete tune
sdls (03-07-21)
Old 03-07-21 | 04:49 AM
1UZFord
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
This guy swapped a 1UZ, supercharged it and even a manual T-56. Probably a lot of custom fab work though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJMAy7Z6zys
I love smoking tires & drive, I completely forgot about this build. Yeah I was told this would require a lot of fabrication work and I even asked a shop for a quote they said it would be 15k to 20k but that I would be spending more on Labor then the actual Motor swap itself. So I think I will take this challenge and go off forums and help from friends to get this swap done. Thank You for the reference !
Old 03-09-21 | 09:31 AM
timmy0tool

fair warning there aren't that many "modifiers" in this forum, so i suggest you try lextreme for more feedback on such a project - which i'm certainly interested in. the majority of folks here are maintainers who want to keep the car running and unmodified.

since i'm one of the few who loves a good frankenstein build, i'll see if i can help here. i've never seen a ford SC on a 1UZ so this would be a first! i'm sure the boost you are planning to run should be fine on stock internals but with any forced induction it's all about the fuel delivery. what are you planning to run to compensate for the added boost?

transmission is really your call (and budget) but i would stick to the trans that comes with the 1UZ long block for easy of install. you will need the whole wiring harness of the 1UZ and there is no TCU; the trans is controlled by the ECU too. there are stand alone options but that would require more coin and research elsewhere. deviating into another trans altogether would make things more interesting especially with a 3rd pedal but again, more complexity to get it to play. there are may nissan drifters who swap in the engine (usually older 1UZ pre-98 non-VVTI) then use a nissan transmission for clutch kicks. i'm not sure how they bolted the trans to the 1UZ block but that's worth looking into as well - perhaps just to get the engine running in another chassis!

there aren't that many header options, maybe just 1 which is likely discontinued, so you're better off running with the stock manifolds. more on the headers:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...and-video.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ld-issues.html

Last edited by timmy0tool; 03-09-21 at 09:38 AM.