LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Toyota upper cylinder head cleaning kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21 | 11:06 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default Toyota upper cylinder head cleaning kit

Toyota offers an upper cylinder head kit designed to dissolve/remove carbon build-up from intake passages, valves, cylinder heads, pistons and piston rings...

Yes, other products out there....

So the question is whether anyone has used this particular product, and, if so, what were your results?

Thank you.

Last edited by RA40; 03-08-21 at 11:13 PM. Reason: link tag
Old 03-09-21 | 09:13 AM
timmy0tool

interesting! never knew that toyota had this, so i have no first hand experience to share.

wondering if this can clean up the carbon deposits on direct injection engines like the IS250 which is notorious for carbon buildup...likely cannot clean it completely unlike walnut blasting can but it may be worth a shot (if not to expensive). how much is the kit?
Old 03-09-21 | 05:15 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Toyota offers an upper cylinder head kit designed to dissolve/remove carbon build-up from intake passages, valves, cylinder heads, pistons and piston rings...

https://youtu.be/IvhPybUDia4

Yes, other products out there....

So the question is whether anyone has used this particular product, and, if so, what were your results?

Thank you.
Thanks for the introduction, Yoda.
I now know that Toyota sells something similar there in US. But I never knew those when I was working there. Toyota sells these below in Japan and I use the one at the far left to clean the air mix path like this way. It works very well. This cleaner must be similar to the throttle plate cleaner sold in US. You can view Toyota's cleaners sold in Japan more at the home page of Toyota. I think only some of these are sold in US.

Old 03-09-21 | 07:59 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Yamae
Thanks for the introduction, Yoda.
I now know that Toyota sells something similar there in US. But I never knew those when I was working there. Toyota sells these below in Japan and I use the one at the far left to clean the air mix path like this way. It works very well. This cleaner must be similar to the throttle plate cleaner sold in US. You can view Toyota's cleaners sold in Japan more at the home page of Toyota. I think only some of these are sold in US.

Attached is image from link depicting cleaner injected through air mix paths

Seafoam offers an upper engine cleaner complete with U-shaped straw for injecting into the throttle body with air cleaner assembly attached.

Have used Seafoam upper engine cleaner and realized benefits. Injected into the air mix paths.

Had a discussion with Toyota regarding upper engine cleaner. It is only sold in case qty of 12 or $96. The tool is about $60.

Spoke to a technician, and he recommended another product offered by GM.

Use requires removal of intake manifold, pouring cleaner into the open cylinder head intake port, and letting it sit overnight to more effectively dissolve carbon build-up.

However, it is unclear how cleaner ingresses past those closed intake valves..

A lot of work...and then to avoid hydrolock damage, clearing the cylinders of fluid by using combination of pressurized air and removing spark plugs-then cranking engine to blow out fluid... probably should unplug fuel pump relay. Wheew!

Definitely oil change after.

Perhaps something to do while changing starter or replacing knock sensor.

Have looked down numerous LS400 cylinder head intake ports...and all have build-up on backside of intake valves and stems...some a lot worse than others.

PCV vapors are a contributing factor.

A real problem for early direct injection engines without (intake tract) injector fuel mist to help "clean" intake valves.

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-09-21 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-09-21 | 08:10 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
interesting! never knew that toyota had this, so i have no first hand experience to share.

wondering if this can clean up the carbon deposits on direct injection engines like the IS250 which is notorious for carbon buildup...likely cannot clean it completely unlike walnut blasting can but it may be worth a shot (if not to expensive). how much is the kit?
Toyota requires purchase of case (12).cans of upper engine cleaner. About $96.
The tool is about $60.
Old 03-09-21 | 08:31 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default Chevron techron fuel system cleaner

While sorting out best product and approach for cleaning valves and combustion chambers, visited NAPA to purchase two 12oz bottles of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner.
On sale at $4.99 each vs $8.99 elsewhere. Added both into 1/2 tank of fuel...

Had a look online...and Techron had top ratings. Perhaps better products out there. NAPA tends to hire people who know what they sell.
Old 03-09-21 | 10:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I have a bottle of the Toyota fuel system cleaner prior to it being discontinued for the system you show. I did the video hunt on the various cleaners with the P0306 code in ours. The Polyetheramine/PEA percentages aren't listed so they don't disclose the concentration levels between brands. I bought the Lucas and if you want to run more cleaner, this is available in quart to gallon sizes.

$9.97
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-Fue...-1-Qt/16777813
$25.99
https://www.walmart.com/ip/LUCAS-OIL...allon/45819324

This BG cleaner came up too:
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol.../#bg-product-2
Old 03-12-21 | 12:07 PM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by YODAONE
While sorting out best product and approach for cleaning valves and combustion chambers, visited NAPA to purchase two 12oz bottles of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner.
On sale at $4.99 each vs $8.99 elsewhere. Added both into 1/2 tank of fuel...

Had a look online...and Techron had top ratings. Perhaps better products out there. NAPA tends to hire people who know what they sell.
you added two bottles to a half tank?! that's double if not quadruple the recommended usage isn't it?! it should be 1 bottle for 1 full tank up to 18 gallons if i'm not mistaken.

also in following the directions, it says to only use every 3000 miles.
https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en...hron/faqs.html
Techron® is recommended for use every 3,000 miles or right before an oil change. You should limit your use of Techron® to no more than five bottles or treatments between oil changes.
If you use Techron® in smaller engines, such as a motorcycle, don’t use the whole bottle. The recommended treatment rate is one ounce per gallon, so in a four-gallon tank, use four ounces of Techron.
Old 03-12-21 | 12:15 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

I agree w/ Timmy. Excessive in this case may harm your catalytic converters so it's best to follow the mfg recommendation.
Old 03-12-21 | 02:36 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
you added two bottles to a half tank?! that's double if not quadruple the recommended usage isn't it?! it should be 1 bottle for 1 full tank up to 18 gallons if i'm not mistaken.

also in following the directions, it says to only use every 3000 miles.
https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en...hron/faqs.html
Techron® is recommended for use every 3,000 miles or right before an oil change. You should limit your use of Techron® to no more than five bottles or treatments between oil changes.
If you use Techron® in smaller engines, such as a motorcycle, don’t use the whole bottle. The recommended treatment rate is one ounce per gallon, so in a four-gallon tank, use four ounces of Techron.
If I recall, the bottle claims it treats 12 gallons.

So, ya, a double dose...however, I do not let my tank go below 1/4 so 4 gallons concentrated with the remainder on a full.tank...

The upper head cylinder cleaner is much more concentrated when sprayed into intake manifold, so am more comfortable with adding cleaner to fuel tank...
Old 03-12-21 | 07:04 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Superfast1
I agree w/ Timmy. Excessive in this case may harm your catalytic converters so it's best to follow the mfg recommendation.
Chevron is wording their usage guidelines more for concern of the oil and fuel dilution in the oil than for emissions equipment. I think a concentrated regimen would be fine just before an oil change. At least the LS400 has a reasonable sump size and an easy to reach filter. The 460 uses every bit of ten quarts and more. It’s ridiculous lol
Old 03-12-21 | 09:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

A borescope view would be nice.
You've had the intake plenum and exhaust off on yours prior? How did it look as far as build-up?

Old 03-13-21 | 08:52 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
A borescope view would be nice.
You've had the intake plenum and exhaust off on yours prior? How did it look as far as build-up?
So the engine has ~ 60k miles.

When installing 3UZ-FE, I transferred the extrude-honed intake from 1UZ-FE, so had a look down cylinder head intake ports.

There was slight, but noticeable build-up on intake ports and valves consistent with PCV vapor deposits.

Used small brushes and solvent to clean as much as accessible. (sparkplugs removed and engine turned over to avoid hydrolock)

I think a PCV system catchment (catch can) would alleviate; throttle body, intake runner, intake valve stem and combustion chamber deposits.

Old 06-16-21 | 08:45 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Default Toyota top engine cleaning results

Ordered minimum case quantity - twelve 11oz cans of Toyota Top Engine Cleaner and Atomizer-Diffusion tool from Lexus.

Very potent aroma.

Cleaner and atomizer tool work as shown in video.

At times had to close valve and increase RPM to avoid stalling.

Noticeable Improvement accelerating off idle.. the pedal feels slightly more responsive...no hesitation
Idle quality improved.
Overall, very satisfied with results..

Top Engine Cleaning Instructions

Nozzle/diffuser tube and siphon tube assembly

Diffuser Nozzle attached to vaccuum line nearest throttle body.