LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Quality aftermarket led bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 11:28 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Quality aftermarket led bulbs

Incandescent bulbs used throughout LS400...
LED's offer improvement in power consumption, but is challenging to locate bulbs that actually offer improved luminosity.
A lot of aftermarket junk out there.
Toyota used numerous T-3-1/4 incandescent bulbs in the Celsior AKA LS400.

The dim watt trunk light is but one "glaring" example of inadequate light output.

The front side marker lenses, rear taillamps (side corner), door pocket lamps, footwell lighting are examples of poor/inadequate light output. Quality incandescent bulbs, but not up to the task.

Not easy to develop LED bulbs in the same glass envelop size and shape as T-3-1/4 incandescent bulbs...and therein lies the challenge....
The answer then is...you don't. No need.

Successful projects using bulbs developed in tandem with Dr. LED:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/844008-1995-2000-ls400-trunk-light.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/846308-door-panel-interior-lamps-2.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/874861-side-marker-lenses-improving-color-uniformity.html

The bulbs have been working well for ~ two years now...

Remaining projects include license plate lamps and headlamp bulbs (T-3-1/4 incandescent used(in addition to high and low-beam) in headlamp assembly of 1999 LS400)

Based on field test results, (mine included) am informed today Dr. LED has posted T-3-1/4 , T-5 replacement bulbs on it's online store:

https://www.doctorled.com/store/LED-Bulb/12V-LED-Bulb/Wedge/Single-Sided-T5-Wedge-LED-2041

Actually double-sided - total 8 surface mount LEDs. T-3-1/4 and T-5 share same wedge base...

Welcome comment on bulbs or suggestions on additional information to post on website.

Thank you.

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-11-21 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 06:10 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally prefer the behavior and experience of incandescents in most situations. For interior lights it's nearly impossible to match the brightness and especially the color of a filament burning w/o doing a lot of diggging. And for tail lights I hate the on/off nature of LEDs. There's no ramp up or fade out and more often than not, they're just far too bright to the point that it feels like laser pointers shooting at you.

But to each their own.
Old 03-12-21, 06:35 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Einzelherz
I personally prefer the behavior and experience of incandescents in most situations. For interior lights it's nearly impossible to match the brightness and especially the color of a filament burning w/o doing a lot of diggging. And for tail lights I hate the on/off nature of LEDs. There's no ramp up or fade out and more often than not, they're just far too bright to the point that it feels like laser pointers shooting at you.

But to each their own.
LED bulbs in brake lights have a faster turn on time which improves safety.

A great majority of OEM LED tail lamps, brake lamps and especially third brake lamps resemble LED rope lamps - pure crap in diffusion and overall execution.

Contemporary LED tail lamps in luxury brands are starting to address these issues, but still have a way to go.

Have considered adding LED bulbs in the third brake lamp to T-5 incandescents: two Dr. LED bulbs...in that way the driver behind is informed earlier that I have applied brakes, and the incandescent lamps fade off when pedal is released to avoid notchiness of LED turn off time.

Toyota and Lexus still have not gotten their act together on interior, and especially trunk lighting....color temperature and brightness are sorely lacking.

I have not replaced incandescents with LED bulbs in brake or tail lamps because they trigger the bulb out dash lamp...and choose not to deactivate it.

Too many unethical suburban cops out there who use whatever probable cause for a stop they can conjure up.

Last edited by YODAONE; 03-12-21 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 12:20 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

adding LEDs to any tailight including the 3rd brake light will result in a "taillamp failure" unless you add the appropriate load resistor.
pre-98s

Old 03-12-21, 12:25 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Einzelherz

But to each their own.
Finally, someone who agrees with me. Brighter is not always better. People don't think, or care, about the rest of us that have to look at those stupid bright tail and brake lights. What is wrong with originality?......... Nothing.
The following users liked this post:
bradland (03-12-21)