LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

still can't decide if my 94 ls400 is worth repairing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 07:43 PM
colorsfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default still can't decide if my 94 ls400 is worth repairing

its so tough to make the decision - especially since mine only has 155Kmiles.

i have enough saved up for an 8-9K used car....but it would be newer with just as many miles likely...

things needed to be done: power steering pump, steering rack, ac... (i'm in LA - heat of the valley) probably a drivers seat replacement...replacing the car amplifier etc

no rust, seats are good for the most part...exterior was good- only was in 1 accident, rear ended but no bumper damage
the car runs well for the most part. i know it has a few other things needed but those are the main things...

how would you decide about dropping about 4K into the car vs getting something new & letting her go ?
Old 04-10-21, 08:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by colorsfan
its so tough to make the decision - especially since mine only has 155Kmiles.

i have enough saved up for an 8-9K used car....but it would be newer with just as many miles likely...

things needed to be done: power steering pump, steering rack, ac... (i'm in LA - heat of the valley) probably a drivers seat replacement...replacing the car amplifier etc

no rust, seats are good for the most part...exterior was good- only was in 1 accident, rear ended but no bumper damage
the car runs well for the most part. i know it has a few other things needed but those are the main things...

how would you decide about dropping about 4K into the car vs getting something new & letting her go ?
Dump it. You live in Cali, where they are absolute ***** about passing emissions tests. On a car of this age, unless its mint(which yours isn't), don't bother dumping $$$ into it, cause it will end up failing its next emissions test and needing another grand or two worth of work. Also at this point, condition/confirmed maintenance history is way more important than miles.

Also your car needs a bunch of EXPENSIVE work done. If it was just ONE thing, then yeah maybe go ahead and fix it, but at this point I think she's done.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (04-11-21)
Old 04-10-21, 10:08 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

I can tell you love the car that's why you're debating & asking for reassurance so here's the answer: It depends if you're a DIY'er or not. If you are then you can save a lot of money from not paying for the labor. Use the money to buy & replace the ps pump & rack first. Once you've got her back running then you can fix her up little by little & before you know it she'll be a gem in your eyes again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Superfast1:
avhart (04-14-21), sha4000 (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 06:18 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

If you can't do the work yourself then I suggest you move in to something else. . I would not put 4k into the car and believe me I was at the same crossroad a couple of years ago. I moved up to a 430 and and then a 460. I do not regret my decision one but. I kept the 400 as an emergency car for a couple of years and finally just have it to me brother last winter.
Old 04-11-21, 10:27 AM
colorsfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
If you can't do the work yourself then I suggest you move in to something else. . I would not put 4k into the car and believe me I was at the same crossroad a couple of years ago. I moved up to a 430 and and then a 460. I do not regret my decision one but. I kept the 400 as an emergency car for a couple of years and finally just have it to me brother last winter.
my family is saying not to put more money in the car- even my parents who i bought it from...it just drives sooooo smoothly though...maybe it can be a project car where i can try and learn to fix it myself...but i have 0 experience working on cars
Old 04-11-21, 10:28 AM
colorsfan
Driver School Candidate

yeah- everytime i drive it (once a week these days) i'm reminded of how smooth of a ride it is- the luxury of it....is the PS pump tough to replace myself if i have no experience working on cars? I have a driveway at lest to use...
Old 04-11-21, 12:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

The ECU is also part of this if it has not been checked. If it passed smog cleanly then unless something drastic changed since then the car may be running ok. Someitmes we like our old cars so the joy of driving them goes beyond practical reasons.
perfctreig (04-12-21)
Old 04-11-21, 01:58 PM
colorsfan
Driver School Candidate

i had my ECU replaced about 3 years ago- and also now have an extra ECU CA version since my car was brought in from out of state....it was not accelerating before i replaced it
Old 04-12-21, 10:37 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Replacing the power steering pump isn't easy but can be done. I did this on my '06 Avalanche. But that's a totally different animal. Here's a video on it:
Old 04-12-21, 10:48 AM
colorsfan
Driver School Candidate

thank you- appreciate the link
Old 04-12-21, 12:16 PM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

It's pretty easy if you know how. Once done, you'll have to flush & fill the system w/ new ps fluid. Here's the procedure on how to flush & fill the system that I had shown to another forum member. Good luck.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...placement.html
Old 04-13-21, 06:42 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

With the current covid tax on cars, if you're willing to learn how to work on it (it helps a lot if you have someone with experience who can assist) then I'd definitely keep it.

Having $8k for a used car doesn't mean that it, too, won't need a few thousand in repairs immediately/soon.
perfctreig (04-13-21)
Old 04-13-21, 10:47 AM
perfctreig
Intermediate

by the way, you still have 850,000 miles to go to catch up to Matt Farrah's LS400: The Million-Mile Lexus (roadandtrack.com)

FWIW, he had the power steering pump leak all over the alternator. Not sure where it is now, but I'm sure it is still running.

Old 04-13-21, 11:58 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by perfctreig
by the way, you still have 850,000 miles to go to catch up to Matt Farrah's LS400: The Million-Mile Lexus (roadandtrack.com)

FWIW, he had the power steering pump leak all over the alternator. Not sure where it is now, but I'm sure it is still running.

It lives in Tavarish's garage on Youtube! It's planned to be restored... Eventually. It took such a cosmetic and mechanical beating during the million mile journey

Old 04-13-21, 12:47 PM
perfctreig
Intermediate

Oh! Tavarish has it. I should have guessed. Well, there you go - like Enzelherz stated, if you can work on it, keep it.

Per Matt, "when its your birthday, and you're drunk, buying an 800,000 mile LS400 sounds like a good idea."

Last edited by perfctreig; 04-13-21 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: still can't decide if my 94 ls400 is worth repairing