LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Tint removal question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-21 | 08:42 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Default Tint removal question

My 98 has a slight coloration on most of the glass (windshield and sides) that I'm 99% sure is some factory UV coating. It's not the Bronze glass that came on some colors.

My rear window has tint applied and it's bubbling. I'd like to remove it. Is there a possibility that I might damage what I think is a factory coating on the rear glass if I do a terrible job of removing the aftermarket tint? Or is the coloration in the glass?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-21 | 08:59 AM
400fanboy
Racer

The stock windows do have coatings applied that give a subtle color shift. You can see these color codes on the windshield glass codes for example:

*TL,T=5.3,BRONZE

*TL,T=5.3,GREEN

If there is aftermarket tint on the car, removing the tint on the side windows is blindingly easy.

If there is aftermarket tint on the car, removing the tint on the rear window is not a walk in the park. Shops have told me in the past they can't guarantee they won't damage the embedded heater elements in the glass when they are removing the tint. I've also never had the heater elements ever be damaged in the tint removal, but I'm one person with a small sample size.

I'm not sure on whether tint removal will damage the factory green\bronze tint to the glass. I doubt this is the case, but I'm not sure.

If you want to get a job done, you can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two. I would avoid the "cheap" option here due to the risk. Get a pro to do it rather than John Doe's Tint haircair restaurant massage and tire service.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 04-16-21 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-16-21 | 11:30 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
John Doe's Tint haircair restaurant massage and tire service.
Wow, I didn't know that was a franchise. I thought we had the only one here in Ct.
The following users liked this post:
Bylan (04-16-21)
Old 04-19-21 | 06:48 AM
Einzelherz
Driver

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
The stock windows do have coatings applied that give a subtle color shift. You can see these color codes on the windshield glass codes for example:

*TL,T=5.3,BRONZE

*TL,T=5.3,GREEN

If there is aftermarket tint on the car, removing the tint on the side windows is blindingly easy.

If there is aftermarket tint on the car, removing the tint on the rear window is not a walk in the park. Shops have told me in the past they can't guarantee they won't damage the embedded heater elements in the glass when they are removing the tint. I've also never had the heater elements ever be damaged in the tint removal, but I'm one person with a small sample size.

I'm not sure on whether tint removal will damage the factory green\bronze tint to the glass. I doubt this is the case, but I'm not sure.

If you want to get a job done, you can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two. I would avoid the "cheap" option here due to the risk. Get a pro to do it rather than John Doe's Tint haircair restaurant massage and tire service.
Reading up on what's involved it seemed like more work than I was interested in doing myself so I'll likely take it to a shop. Since it's one window and removal only I don't even think cutting corners with Billy Bob's Woodchips N' Window Tint would save me that much. Thanks for the info!
The following users liked this post:
400fanboy (04-22-21)
Old 04-21-21 | 08:52 AM
wolfy53
Driver

Windex will take off window tint film glue.

I have done this on several vehicles. But for my LS when i got it, the window tint was shot. I just paid my tint guys an extra 80 bucks to remove all the tint.Then I had them replace it with new.