LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

BEST aftermarket MAF sensor for 1992 Lexus LS400

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-21, 09:38 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BEST aftermarket MAF sensor for 1992 Lexus LS400

Hello everyone, I own a 1992 LS400. I am in need of a replacement MAF sensor because my car does a little jerkiing at high speeds as well as engine intermittent hiccups. Unfortunately, they no longer make OEM maf sensors for this car. Fuji the manufacturer, nor does Denso. All of the OEM maf sensors I see on ebay are old and in rough shape. Anyone know THE BEST brand aftermarket MAF sensor for this particular model I have? Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated from one car guy to another. Thanks
Old 05-26-21, 10:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,914 Likes on 2,457 Posts

OEM is best even if used, get one with a warranty. I see a few clean 22250-50010 sensors on Ebay.
Old 05-26-21, 10:24 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Thanks for your response. What do you feel about the remanufactured ones on ebay? Any reputable sellers out there? All of the ones I see are from China.
Old 05-26-21, 10:33 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Reman in this case to me means they cleaned it up that's about it. Which is fine, but it may not work so like I said get a warranty. I have not tried the aftermarket ones they could be perfectly fine would not rule it out. BTW 22250-50010 is actually the number for the entire assembly there is no Lexus part number for the sensor itself. 22204-42011 on the part itself is not a Lexus part number but also search this number.

Unfortunately this part was only used on the LS400 and Celsior so not much of a pool to source from.
Old 05-26-21, 10:35 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
Old 05-26-21, 10:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Amazon shows they have this. Also says fits Supra?
Amazon Amazon

Not sure I believe this is actually in stock. One year warranty.
Old 05-26-21, 10:55 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Hi. Thanks. I just checked. It is in stock from another seller named Tapeak under Amazon. His reviews are only 71% though. Don't know what I should do.

QUOTE=LeX2K;11058986]Amazon shows they have this. Also says fits Supra?
Amazon Amazon

Not sure I believe this is actually in stock. One year warranty.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-26-21, 11:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Worst case Amazon gives you your money back.
Old 05-26-21, 11:21 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

True. The brand is Aotop. So, it would be an aftermarket one. Not OEM. Don't know if you have ever heard of that brand before.
Old 05-26-21, 11:33 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

If I were to buy that part, do you think I would be better off just swapping out the new aftermarket maf meter to my current OEM assembly. Or should I replace the whole thing entirely? Thanks
Old 05-26-21, 11:34 AM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

If I were to buy that part, do you think I would be better off just swapping out the new aftermarket maf meter to my current OEM assembly. Or should I replace the whole thing entirely? Thanks
Old 05-26-21, 12:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Picture is too fuzzy to see if the sensor is OEM or aftermarket. Could be OEM reboxed, if not probably better off buying the generic ones for cheaper. I would keep using the original housing.
Old 05-26-21, 12:57 PM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

That is what I was thinking too. Better off keeping the original OEM housing. I messaged him asking if it is a brand new OEM part. Still waiting for an answer. I also thought about of just buying a aftermarket part on walmart.com just for the hell of it to try. They come with a 30 day warranty and if it doesn't work, I can just take it back to any Walmart store which is a lot easier and less of a headache than returning a bad part back to a seller on Ebay. Which was a headache because I bought a used OEM maf sensor already on Ebay before and it was giving me issues. It seems like it is hard to find a perfectly working maf sensor because they are so fragile and can get easily ruined when shipped. No local junk yards here in San Diego where I live have the part I need.
Old 05-26-21, 02:17 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

First off, have you checked to make sure the AFM is bad with a multi-meter? I forget what the specs are supposed to be but if you search this forum it's here somewhere. Is it throwing a code 24 or 31? http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html
I wouldn't buy something that is "refurbished" cuz all that means, like said before, is they clean it up. Inside the AFM is a sensor for Intake Air Temp (IAT) which can not be changed by itself.
Also, like said before, if you buy one make sure it has a warranty. I think you're much better off ordering an OEM original (used) from a junkyard. (with warranty) They're really cheap nowadays. From $25 to $300. You can get 4-5 for the price of 1 so called "refurbished" https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sea...ey=&userPage=1
Old 05-26-21, 02:34 PM
ForzaRoma
Rookie

Thanks for the link and info. I am pretty sure it is the MAF sensor because I saw online how you can check by disconnecting the sensor when the car is running and if the engine dies, it means it is working properly. If you disconnect it and the engine keeps running it is bad. I saw this video on YouTube. When I disconnect mine the engine keeps running. I have no CEL. No stalling. Just a little jerking that comes and goes at high speeds and occasional intermittent engine hiccups. The jerking seems to be more noticeable when I go over 70mph. For the most part, my car drives fantastic in city driving. No issues there. When I bought my last MAF sensor on ebay, a mechanic checked it and said it was bad. So...I replaced it with another one that made it run smoother than before, not stalling like before. But still has the little jerking at high speeds, so I figure this one is bad too. It seems like there would be a reputable company out there, Lexus certified that you could mail your old, broken MAF sensors to and they would rebuild your sensor to factory specs that make it like new again. I contacted Lexus which never knows anything. They just leave you in the dark and say talk to your local dealer. It seems like Lexus would have more respect for this car model in particular which was the flagship model of their brand of what made Lexus what it is today with the original LS400.

Quick Reply: BEST aftermarket MAF sensor for 1992 Lexus LS400