LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Celsior has arrived from japan!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21 | 05:21 PM
JDMUCF21
Rookie

Default Celsior has arrived from japan!

What can I say the car looks way better than we ever anticipated, The export company and customs broker we worked with were amazing! The car is so fun to drive, and Demands attention everywhere we go. Not only is it rare in USA but they are getting harder and harder to find in Japan as well. Enjoy!

The Stock 16 inch Chrome Toyota Celsior wheels may be for sale soon, still trying to decide what to do with them, for now they are in storage out of weather and stacked using foam pads to keep them safe.

The following users liked this post:
Littlebr4d (06-15-21)
Old 06-03-21 | 07:44 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Not a bad car, just wondering, how much did you pay for it and customs charge? (US of course) Although it's nice and with different options, such as the rear curtains, I'm not a fan of your wheel choice. Especially the color, it clashes with the white and I didn't think anything could clash with white. But it's all you, to each his own. I'm a pure stock guy and feel these cars should be left alone. Just my opinion. Also, just wondering, what's the 2 black things on the rear bumper? Are they some kind of sensor for back up distance?
Old 06-03-21 | 11:37 AM
JDMUCF21
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Not a bad car, just wondering, how much did you pay for it and customs charge? (US of course) Although it's nice and with different options, such as the rear curtains, I'm not a fan of your wheel choice. Especially the color, it clashes with the white and I didn't think anything could clash with white. But it's all you, to each his own. I'm a pure stock guy and feel these cars should be left alone. Just my opinion. Also, just wondering, what's the 2 black things on the rear bumper? Are they some kind of sensor for back up distance?
Thanks, the wheels are on for 1 season but i will probably be doing something less conflicting in the future. Though, I think they look way better in person. I think a lot of people are so used to the stock/VIP builds that anything outside that box is strange haha. The price was decent, I don't want to disclose entirely because I also help people import cars for a living. But I will say it was far less than most businesses here in the states mark theirs up and sell for. Even if I wasn't keeping this one and instead sold it for profit I would be below any currently for sale in US from "reputable" dealers. As for the corner sensors, yes that is exactly what they are. Back up sonar sensors which was an option in Japan, not sure if they were offered on the US (LS400) versions.
Old 06-05-21 | 07:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

congrats it's in great shape! those wheels would look great on a skyline or evo but not this... either way i'm never unhappy when someone is happy with their LS haha

p.s. once again sorry to hear about your landlord with the fence... my best wishes on that getting fixed
JDMUCF21 (06-05-21)
Old 06-05-21 | 09:43 PM
JDMUCF21
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stroock639
congrats it's in great shape! those wheels would look great on a skyline or evo but not this... either way i'm never unhappy when someone is happy with their LS haha

p.s. once again sorry to hear about your landlord with the fence... my best wishes on that getting fixed
Haha, yea the landlord thing still has me steaming but thanks. Only issue I'm having is people keep calling it an LS400 lol. Oh and the speedometer started not working intermittently, tach and odometer still ticking so hoping its a sensor and not the cluster since the mileage was verified in japan before it left, would be a shame to have to replace the cluster now considering it only has 65k original US Miles, 105,300km. Was working fine yesterday, parked the car started driving tonight and speedometer wasn't working for like 10-15min then started working fine rest of the trip, after we ate same deal didn't work half the trip then decided to kick to life again. Its not a huge deal as I use a APP on phone to track MPH, but still need to track down the issue. Gonna try to get an OBDII plug and see if i can trouble shoot the Speed Sensor or the cluster, Pray for me lol.
Old 06-05-21 | 10:59 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Not a fan of the blue wheels, but damn that is clean for an early 90's car, love the pearl white. Also leather was a rather rare option in Japan, so that's another thing to add to the oddball list along with the Toyota Celsior badge. Personally if I were importing a Japanese car, I'd demand that velour most Japanese luxury cars came with. Hell I think in the Century the upholstery was woven from 100% wool fibers, that same wool upholstery might have been an option in top trim Crown, Aristo, and Celsior cars as well.
Old 06-06-21 | 07:27 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by JDMUCF21
Haha, yea the landlord thing still has me steaming but thanks. Only issue I'm having is people keep calling it an LS400 lol. Oh and the speedometer started not working intermittently, tach and odometer still ticking so hoping its a sensor and not the cluster since the mileage was verified in japan before it left, would be a shame to have to replace the cluster now considering it only has 65k original US Miles, 105,300km. Was working fine yesterday, parked the car started driving tonight and speedometer wasn't working for like 10-15min then started working fine rest of the trip, after we ate same deal didn't work half the trip then decided to kick to life again. Its not a huge deal as I use a APP on phone to track MPH, but still need to track down the issue. Gonna try to get an OBDII plug and see if i can trouble shoot the Speed Sensor or the cluster, Pray for me lol.
Unfortunately your Celsior is not OBDII compatible and error codes can't be read by most of OBDII code readers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...atibility.html
Old 06-06-21 | 09:29 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDMUCF21
Oh and the speedometer started not working intermittently, Was working fine yesterday, parked the car started driving tonight and speedometer wasn't working for like 10-15min then started working fine rest of the trip, after we ate same deal didn't work half the trip then decided to kick to life again.
Sticky speedo needle is very common. Most of the time they start sticking when it's humid. As a matter of fact, mine just started again yesterday also, it's been fine since last summer but getting up into the 90*s now it's gonna stick alot.
It has to do with the electrical grease (or whatever it is) on the connections. I know someone did a tutorial on the fix somewhere on this forum, you'd have to search for it.
You could tap the dash if ya need the speedo but the more ya do that, the more you're gonna mess up in the cluster, so not recommended.
JDMUCF21 (06-06-21)
Old 06-06-21 | 10:08 AM
JDMUCF21
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Sticky speedo needle is very common. Most of the time they start sticking when it's humid. As a matter of fact, mine just started again yesterday also, it's been fine since last summer but getting up into the 90*s now it's gonna stick alot.
It has to do with the electrical grease (or whatever it is) on the connections. I know someone did a tutorial on the fix somewhere on this forum, you'd have to search for it.
You could tap the dash if ya need the speedo but the more ya do that, the more you're gonna mess up in the cluster, so not recommended.
Appreciate the reply, i was kinda wondering same thing, other day when i went out it was kinda more chilly, but last night was still very hot/humid, ill keep an eye on it but given that the milage ticked up and tachometer worked, combined with fact I use google maps to track speed in MPH anyway its not a huge deal, just dont want to have to replace the cluster with verified mileage on a RHD imported car.
Old 06-08-21 | 01:51 AM
ls400newbs
Driver School Candidate

How much for the wheels? I'm interested
JDMUCF21 (06-08-21)