LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Leaking steering rack component

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-21, 08:09 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Leaking steering rack component

I recently developed a pretty severe power steering fluid leak from this piece on my steering rack and need some help diagnosing the error, as well as identifying the part itself. The photo was taken while held at full lock, it does not leak as much when the wheel is not being turned.

Looking through photos of people's ucf20 steering racks online, I cannot find another with this same piece as me; I had originally thought it was the solenoid/filter, but mine does not have the big "nut" attached to the bottom of the cylinder. It also does not look like any of the new/reman steering racks come with this part included, so getting a new one would be seemingly pointless. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-06-21, 08:19 PM
datstockls
Rookie

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ing-issue.html

Just came across this thread after removing filter from my search terms. Still can't find any for sale online, does anybody have a part number or a link to one for sale???
Old 06-06-21, 08:59 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

What year is the car?
It's the PPS solenoid. You won't find an aftermarket replacement and I'm not even sure if dealers sell them individually...? The leak might just be an O-ring but from the pic the fluid appears to be escaping away from the union area where a failed o-ring would leak It's simple to remove and doing so should reveal a compromised, or not, o-ring. You will lose a fair amount of fluid if you pull it out.
Old 06-06-21, 09:05 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
What year is the car?
It's the PPS solenoid. You won't find an aftermarket replacement and I'm not even sure if dealers sell them individually...? The leak might just be an O-ring but from the pic the fluid appears to be escaping away from the union area where a failed o-ring would leak It's simple to remove and doing so should reveal a compromised, or not, o-ring. You will lose a fair amount of fluid if you pull it out.
The car is a 99! And yes sadly I have yet to find anything online even remotely related to that individual part - it looks like the only way to get a hold of another one would be to search a junkyard (but there are no ucf20s in my state) or to buy a used steering rack that still has the solenoid in it. ((
Old 06-06-21, 10:05 PM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by datstockls
The car is a 99! And yes sadly I have yet to find anything online even remotely related to that individual part - it looks like the only way to get a hold of another one would be to search a junkyard (but there are no ucf20s in my state) or to buy a used steering rack that still has the solenoid in it. ((
Try https://www.car-part.com/
You might be able to find a salvage yard that will pull one out and ship to you...? Don't rule out a simple o-ring though.
Old 06-06-21, 10:08 PM
datstockls
Rookie

Originally Posted by bradland
Try https://www.car-part.com/
You might be able to find a salvage yard that will pull one out and ship to you...? Don't rule out a simple o-ring though.
Definitely - I'll pull it out tomorrow and get a close look at the seals. My luck seems so insanely bad, this happened right after I worked on the car for the first time in a month while adjusting the coilovers and I have no idea how I could have broken this, didn't even come close to the solenoid lol! I'll keep this thread updated