LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

EFI Relay problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 09:29 AM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Ok guys here we go. Seems it's the ECU.

The ECU that I was using is one I had got from Ebay and was not of the best but still it was working so I went with it.

I have another ECU (actually the one that came with the car) that, although it does not start the car, when I connect it up I immediately get the B+ back from the engine Diag connector and the CEL is back on. I know I didn't mention about the CEL before but that is something that I also noticed when I was having the no-start issue yesterday- it was off.

Now I had sent that original ECU for repair already to a firm in the US and when it came back it was not starting the car. The engine would fire like if it wanted to start but it would not run. On jumpering Te1 and E1, the ECU is giving me a TPS code but that is obviously bogus because there is nothing wrong with the TPS.

So here's my plan of action. I'm going to send the original ECU up to Texas to a company called Relentless Motor Sports who have a very good reputation and hope they may be able to fix it properly. In the meantime I'm going to open up the one from Ebay and play around with its insides and see what happens. It worked already and I may be able to get it to work again.

I'll post some more when I can. And once again if any of you guys want to jump in, please be my guest. Your helpful ideas are always extremely important to me and I am so grateful that you can actually take an interest in helping me out You know who you are. So thanks a whole lot until the next time.

Anthony

Last edited by avhart; 08-22-21 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-22-21, 10:54 AM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by avhart
Ok guys here we go. Seems it's the ECU.

The ECU that I was using is one I had got from Ebay and was not of the best but still it was working so I went with it.

I have another ECU (actually the one that came with the car) that, although it does not start the car, when I connect it up I immediately get the B+ back from the engine Diag connector and the CEL is back on. I know I didn't mention about the CEL before but that is something that I also noticed when I was having the no-start issue yesterday- it was off.

Now I had sent that original ECU for repair already to a firm in the US and when it came back it was not starting the car. The engine would fire like if it wanted to start but it would not run. On jumpering Te1 and E1, the ECU is giving me a TPS code but that is obviously bogus because there is nothing wrong with the TPS.

So here's my plan of action. I'm going to send the original ECU up to Texas to a company called Relentless Motor Sports who have a very good reputation and hope they may be able to fix it properly. In the meantime I'm going to open up the one from Ebay and play around with its insides and see what happens. It worked already and I may be able to get it to work again.

I'll post some more when I can. And once again if any of you guys want to jump in, please be my guest. Your helpful ideas are always extremely important to me and I am so grateful that you can actually take an interest in helping me out You know who you are. So thanks a whole lot until the next time.

Anthony

if you know a competent electronics repair shop, acquire correct capacitors (see massive ECU Capacitor post this forum) and have it repaired locally.
The following users liked this post:
avhart (08-22-21)
Old 08-22-21, 10:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Anyone have a wiring diagram they can post?
The following users liked this post:
avhart (08-22-21)
Old 08-22-21, 12:55 PM
avhart
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

The problem is contained within your comment my friend Yodaone. If there are any electronic technicians in this country with the proper competence I assure you they are well hidden. Very well hidden.

That being said, I have my doubts that it is a capacitor problem as the ECU was recently overhauled by a firm in the US. The problem with it is, although its getting the engine to fire, it doesn't run, just shuts down immediately. Any ideas what could cause that? Or maybe you can recommend somebody else that could check it out for me?

It's also throwing a TPS error code which is bogus because the TPS is fine.

Last edited by avhart; 08-22-21 at 02:27 PM.