LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replaced everything in the power steering but it still won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 04:16 PM
Penultimat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced everything in the power steering but it still won't work!

I have a 1999 LS400 and months ago it developed this horrible noise everytime it turned. Despite filling it up with power steering fluid the power steering eventually gave out. So I decided to fix it. Flash forward to now and so far I have completely replaced the power steering rack, power steering pump, power steering pressure hose, reservoir, serpentine belt, vacuum switch on power steering pump, and cylinoid on power steering rack. Taking it out for its latest test drive I find myself astonished at the fact that it's harder to turn than ever. It's almost like the power steering doesn't exist.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 08-21-21, 04:51 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 415 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Penultimat
I have a 1999 LS400 and months ago it developed this horrible noise everytime it turned. Despite filling it up with power steering fluid the power steering eventually gave out. So I decided to fix it. Flash forward to now and so far I have completely replaced the power steering rack, power steering pump, power steering pressure hose, reservoir, serpentine belt, vacuum switch on power steering pump, and cylinoid on power steering rack. Taking it out for its latest test drive I find myself astonished at the fact that it's harder to turn than ever. It's almost like the power steering doesn't exist.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
1.) Where did you purchase parts?
2.) What brand and type of hydraulic fluid?
3.) Power steering solenoid function verified or replaced? Continuity checked?
4.) Who performed work?
5.) Alignment performed?
6.) What tools and method employed when transferring power steering pump pulley to replacement pump??
7.) Did you flush the hydraulic reservoir?
Old 08-21-21, 05:20 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts

That sounds like a system that is need of a good bleeding to compliment the rest of your work. Put the front end on jackstands so both front tires are a few inches off the ground, start it up and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock it'll be a fight for a few rounds it'll suddenly tap out, and submit to hydraulic pressure, it’ll be as good as new. Make sure the fluid is topped off before and after

Last edited by dwoods801; 08-21-21 at 09:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (08-24-21)
Old 09-26-21, 07:00 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts

@penultimate. You haven’t posted any follow up on your Power Steering rebuild project. We’re you able to get it figured out? What was the solution? It’s always nice to have the correct solution included with any post, along with the symptoms and the situations that you encountered. So future members can learn how to fix their car if they have the same issues you did.