LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 Ls400, broken transmission dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 08:05 PM
Marino2847
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 99 Ls400, broken transmission dipstick

Hello all, i've noticed that my transmission dipstick won't stick all the way down making it unusable to get a good reading of the transmission fluid level. This is my fault because when I first got the car and dropped the transmission pan to replace fluid/filter, I couldn't figure out how to get the pan back in without forcing it (very stupid of me, it was my first time working on a car). Anyway, the metal pipe feeding out of the transmission pan is dented/bent. I know I reconnected it to the dipstick tube because the dipstick slides almost all the way in, it just sticks out about an inch above where it normally sits. The whole transmission pan situation was a nightmare but I figured it out and got the pan back on with no leaks. The car drives normally and still has smooth shifts (except when the engine is cold, the cars shifts are more noticable sometimes). I've been driving it for 6 months since I dropped the pan and it still drives fine, except that it sometimes feels sluggish/has to rev out to about 2000 rpm in order to move. I think the amount of auto transmission fluid might be off by a bit causing the car to sometimes shift weird in the cold. I put 3.5 quarts back in the car (same amount to what came out of the car) but I wish there was same way to measure how much fluid was really in there. Any input is much appreciated, thank you all.
Old 09-01-21, 09:33 AM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

If it is the damaged tube that's preventing you from getting an accurate reading, the best thing to do is just replace the pan. They're still available from Toyota or you can try finding a used one ~$150.

Lexus P/N: 3510630201
Old 09-01-21, 10:45 AM
Marino2847
Rookie

Originally Posted by paulo57509
If it is the damaged tube that's preventing you from getting an accurate reading, the best thing to do is just replace the pan. They're still available from Toyota or you can try finding a used one ~$150.

Lexus P/N: 3510630201
Thx for the part number. Do I need a new pan if the car works fine? I know I can't get an accurate reading but I think I have the right amount of fluid. I put 3.5 quarts into the car and everything seems to work. But in the long term, i'm afraid that having inconsistent amounts of fluid might damage the transmission over time. Also, i'm not sure how to safely replace the transmission pan due to the exhaust sorta of blocking the access. I've looked everywhere online and can't find much about how to replace the transmission pan on 98-00 cars
Old 09-01-21, 12:22 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Marino2847
Thx for the part number. Do I need a new pan if the car works fine? I know I can't get an accurate reading but I think I have the right amount of fluid. I put 3.5 quarts into the car and everything seems to work. But in the long term, i'm afraid that having inconsistent amounts of fluid might damage the transmission over time. Also, i'm not sure how to safely replace the transmission pan due to the exhaust sorta of blocking the access. I've looked everywhere online and can't find much about how to replace the transmission pan on 98-00 cars
Changing the pan would be done exactly the same as the first time you removed and replaced the pan when you changed the filter, except for forcing it in. If it came off without force then it should go back in without force. Never force something if it's not gonna go.
You don't need a new pan though. You say "the metal pipe feeding out of the transmission pan is dented/bent." That would be the only part which needs to be changed.
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...013-50060.html
Here's also a link for the pan and related parts. Don't know what year your car is but there are 2 different part #s for the pan depending on the production date of the 1998. (before or after 6-98)
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/page_p...ds=trans%20pan

Old 09-01-21, 07:04 PM
Yamae

Received 880 Likes on 664 Posts

(except when the engine is cold, the cars shifts are more noticable sometimes).
Your statement above reminds me of my past experience. It was fixed adding the ATF about a half qt. I worry that your car's ATF level is slightly lower than normal.
Old 09-02-21, 10:52 AM
Marino2847
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
Your statement above reminds me of my past experience. It was fixed adding the ATF about a half qt. I worry that your car's ATF level is slightly lower than normal.
I added 1/4 a quart of ATF and the car shifted a lot smoother when I drove it cold this morning. I have 3.75 quarts in the transmission pan so far. I'll just refill how much comes out when I do the next transmission drain/refill. I don't want to overfill it and i'm pretty sure i'm close to the correct amount since when I originally drained the pan, a lot came out.
Old 09-02-21, 11:14 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

I added 1/4 a quart of ATF and the car shifted a lot smoother when I drove it cold this morning. I have 3.75 quarts in the transmission pan so far. I'll just refill how much comes out when I do the next transmission drain/refill. I don't want to overfill it and i'm pretty sure i'm close to the correct amount since when I originally drained the pan, a lot came out.
No matter how much comes out, if you put in the same amount you could still be low seeing how the torque converter holds alot and you don't know how much is in that.
My suggestion would be find a junkyard with an LS400 of your same year and buy the tranny dip stick tube so you can fix yours the right way so you can check the level every now and then like you should. Preferably find a "pick and pull" junkyard so you can take it off yourself. The good thing about this way is you can see exactly how it comes off and if you break it while removing it then hey, it's not your car you're breaking. I say that cuz you mentioned this is your first time working on a car. Also, you will see how fun and useful junkyards are. Practice taking parts off a junk car, not yours. Ya learn alot that way.
Good to hear it's a little better now.
The following users liked this post:
Marino2847 (09-05-21)