LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 with lower mileage vs 2000 with higher mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 01:35 PM
Kdar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 with lower mileage vs 2000 with higher mileage

Hey everyone,

I’ve recently become enamored with the LS400, and I’m hoping to pick one up within the next couple of months. (Even in this economy).

I’m looking at two different models right now, and I’m curious what ya’ll think about them. The first is a ‘95 with 100k miles, and it’s priced at 9k; the second is a ‘00 with 138k miles priced at 8k.

Provided both cars are in excellent condition, Is a nearly 40k difference in mileage a big difference? I’ve read testimonials on this forum that claim it’s insignificant. If so, would it make the ‘00 a better deal?

I’m really looking for the most reliable and cheapest car to upkeep at the end of the day. I hope to have this car for at least 8-10 years, and though I would want to keep whatever ls400 I get in as good a shape as possible, I would also want to do it as cheaply as possible. So, is one model (generally) cheaper to maintain than the other? Does the ‘00’s better fuel economy factor into that?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-02-21, 02:58 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 411 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdar
Hey everyone,

I’ve recently become enamored with the LS400, and I’m hoping to pick one up within the next couple of months. (Even in this economy).

I’m looking at two different models right now, and I’m curious what ya’ll think about them. The first is a ‘95 with 100k miles, and it’s priced at 9k; the second is a ‘00 with 138k miles priced at 8k.

Provided both cars are in excellent condition, Is a nearly 40k difference in mileage a big difference? I’ve read testimonials on this forum that claim it’s insignificant. If so, would it make the ‘00 a better deal?

I’m really looking for the most reliable and cheapest car to upkeep at the end of the day. I hope to have this car for at least 8-10 years, and though I would want to keep whatever ls400 I get in as good a shape as possible, I would also want to do it as cheaply as possible. So, is one model (generally) cheaper to maintain than the other? Does the ‘00’s better fuel economy factor into that?

Thanks for your help!
First, the pricing is about 3 times what one would expect to pay. Condition and color options affect price further... Air suspension?

Second,. Verify the service history through Lexus and sellers repair receipts. Timing belt service is a big $$ if no proof of timing belt service within 6 years and 90,000 miles...

Third, have each vehicle surveyedt by a Toyota or Lexus mechanic...
The following users liked this post:
Kdar (09-03-21)
Old 09-02-21, 07:56 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 255 Likes on 166 Posts

Here's my thoughts with the 430s, and especially the LS400s -- mileage is pretty much irrelevant unless we're looking at something with 400k miles vs. one with 100k or something. After all, we're dealing with cars equipped with engines that can go literally one million miles without being opened up, and transmissions that routinely hit half a million without rebuild. So for your question, as it relates to miles -- 40k difference means nothing.

I've now bought 5 different LS400s/LS430s and each time I buy one mileage is the last thing I consider. The interior condition of these cars by now will tell you almost everything you need to know. Is the driver seat worn? What about the center console? I've seen 400s with 250k miles with pristine seats and center consoles -- what does that say about the person that owned it and how they drove it? On the other hand, I just looked at a 400 with 95k miles with a significantly worse interior. Mechanicals aside, someone that never bothered to condition the leather, clean the carpets, was indifferent to wear on the armrest and door grab, probably didn't do much else.

The other thing I always look for on the 400s is deep red ATF in the power steering pump and pink/red coolant in the reservoir. Your power steering pump will leak, bet on that. If it is leaking already, be prepared for a new alternator too. Just inevitable.

The 98-00 is pretty far superior to the 95-97 400, too. On top of the 5 speed trans (which is the same 5 speed Lexus used in the 01-03 430), it also has the variable valve timed engine, better headlights (with the HID option), better sound system, and just simply looks better (IMO). Probably the most underrated aspect of the 98-00 also is the fact that they don't seem to suffer from the ECU cap. leakage issue like the 90-97s.

No matter which one you buy, no matter how much you pay, or how perfect it is, you will still need to fix random odds and ends. That's just how it is, so be prepared for that. They are wonderful cars, with the 98-00 400 being my favorite of all the LS's. Good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by Peacebay:
Kdar (09-03-21), LS400FAN (09-04-21)
Old 09-02-21, 10:33 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

8K for a 2000 LS400 with 138K. Wow they sure have gone up in the past couple years..Gone are the days where you could score one of these on the cheap commonplace I guess. It's kind of controversial to say which one is a better deal because there are purists that like 1st gen better, that's why that 1st gen is 9K. It really depends on you, what matters to you, and what you like. Because both cars are collectible in my book. You'll figure it out.
The following 2 users liked this post by CLLEXUSS:
Kdar (09-03-21), LS400FAN (09-04-21)
Old 09-03-21, 03:30 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by CLLEXUSS
8K for a 2000 LS400 with 138K. Wow they sure have gone up in the past couple years. Gone are the days where you could score one of these on the cheap commonplace I guess. It's kind of controversial to say which one is a better deal because there are purists that like 1st gen better, that's why that 1st gen is 9K. It really depends on you, what matters to you, and what you like. Because both cars are collectible in my book. You'll figure it out.
$8K is alot cheaper then I've seen 90% of them in the last year. I've been looking alot. Are these cars near you or did you see them online? Are they at a dealer or private party? I'd be interested in the 2000 if it's in good shape. Just like "peacebay" said about the interior, if it's in bad shape then the rest of the car probably is and it's not taken care of too good. I've always sworn by the 93-94 and nothing else but lately, while I've been searching more, I like the 98-00. To the 95-97 I'd say yuk.
Old 09-03-21, 06:27 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
$8K is alot cheaper then I've seen 90% of them in the last year. I've been looking alot. Are these cars near you or did you see them online? Are they at a dealer or private party? I'd be interested in the 2000 if it's in good shape. Just like "peacebay" said about the interior, if it's in bad shape then the rest of the car probably is and it's not taken care of too good. I've always sworn by the 93-94 and nothing else but lately, while I've been searching more, I like the 98-00. To the 95-97 I'd say yuk.
It really is something to think how the market changed. I bought mine a little over 2 years ago for about half that, a little more than half that. And mine is under 150K beautiful condition, southern california garaged its entire life... They didn't necessarily have a easy time selling it back then lol, just the way it was 2 years ago, they weren't in a hurry to sell it either though. Doesn't seem that long ago though. The guy that got there before me was a LS 400 guy too, he tried to get it for like 3K or something like that lol for a beautiful 2nd gen, I got there and just paid her, its been awesome ever since. He must be kicking himself now that he just didn't come up a little back then, and just bought it. But my thinking still hasn't caught up to current day I guess, I'll have to look at the market and see what's going on here. I mean I knew the market went up but still that seems excessive.
Well I just did a search, local and nationwide, wow, yea people are asking a lot sheesh. Well, LS 400 market price not immune from the price increase craziness. If I were in the market for one now I'd have alerts set up if possible, and scan frequently for new listings, you never know, could come come across an awesome deal, just have cash on the ready, and be patient.
The following users liked this post:
LS400FAN (09-04-21)
Old 09-04-21, 01:43 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

Get the 00' model. Its a lot better of a car, more advanced, better power, fuel economy, safety and in my opinion, looks better. The 95 will have ECU capacitor issues and runs with a distributor cap and rotor vs. coil packs on the more advanced VVTi version of the 1UZ V8.

I upgraded my 97 which was running perfectly to a 99' and I'm so much happier, its a way better car in my eyes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Losiracer2:
Lavoisier (09-04-21), LS400FAN (09-04-21)
Old 09-04-21, 01:14 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Get the 00' model. Its a lot better of a car, more advanced, better power, fuel economy, safety and in my opinion, looks better. The 95 will have ECU capacitor issues and runs with a distributor cap and rotor vs. coil packs on the more advanced VVTi version of the 1UZ V8.

I upgraded my 97 which was running perfectly to a 99' and I'm so much happier, its a way better car in my eyes.
I agree on all counts, but as long as my 95 (w/upgraded ecu), is still doing the job I can't justify getting rid of it. I also own a 98 vvti which we use as the road vehicle on long distances, both are rock solid but if there comes a time when I need to let go of my 95 I will be looking for another vvti (98-2000), best sedans ever made imo.