LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

rotted brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 02:08 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts
Default rotted brake lines

I had a rear brake line rot out (along with half the rear of the car) and I had someone cut it and fix it. Well, as they were bleeding the brakes the same line sprung another leak. I was wondering, (as a temporary fix) is there a way I can plug the rear brakes, like maybe at the master cylinder, so no fluid goes to the rear. I only drive maybe 2-3 miles a day now and I am looking for another car anyway. So I would like to plug it so I can get maybe a few more weeks out of the car. It's not worth changing the line from front to back.
Old 09-16-21, 02:56 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
I had a rear brake line rot out (along with half the rear of the car) and I had someone cut it and fix it. Well, as they were bleeding the brakes the same line sprung another leak. I was wondering, (as a temporary fix) is there a way I can plug the rear brakes, like maybe at the master cylinder, so no fluid goes to the rear. I only drive maybe 2-3 miles a day now and I am looking for another car anyway. So I would like to plug it so I can get maybe a few more weeks out of the car. It's not worth changing the line from front to back.

Few see brake fluid as necessary maintenance.

In your case, if one line was replaced and another immediately ruptures portends an accident waiting to happen.

All brake lines should be replaced.

Do not accept advice on how to
band aide an unsafe braking system.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (09-18-21)
Old 09-16-21, 03:21 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 187 Posts

The entire hard line needs to be replaced. Depending on the production date of your car, some of the lines might still be available from Toyota. There might be a shop someplace near you that can fab up a line using the original as a pattern.
Old 09-16-21, 03:39 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YODAONE
In your case, if one line was replaced and another immediately ruptures portends an accident waiting to happen.
All brake lines should be replaced.
I knew that answer was coming. They cut and fixed part of the hard line but another section was also rotted so that 1 whole line is bad. I'm not going to put in the time, money, and effort of changing all lines when I'm, like I said, getting rid of the car. But, if I was to keep the car I would accept your advice. Thanks.

Originally Posted by paulo57509
The entire hard line needs to be replaced. Depending on the production date of your car, some of the lines might still be available from Toyota. There might be a shop someplace near you that can fab up a line using the original as a pattern.
Turns out the whole line is bad and it's....discontinued.

Oh well, looks like I gotta get off my *** and find another car. As some people here know, this frame is rotted and alot of other stuff bad. I have driven with brakes alot worse then this for many miles.....but I was young and dumb then.
Old 09-16-21, 05:06 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

whoa! sorry to hear. i'm sure you can plug the line somewhere at the ABS module or just cap it up the stream where there is least corrosion (for a short term fix of course).

best wishes to get you going again, and if you replace the car entirely, to find you in another LS!
Old 09-16-21, 06:42 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
whoa! sorry to hear. i'm sure you can plug the line somewhere at the ABS module or just cap it up the stream where there is least corrosion (for a short term fix of course).

best wishes to get you going again, and if you replace the car entirely, to find you in another LS!
You advocate driving with capped brake lines?
Old 09-16-21, 09:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Not worth the risk on a public road, I would not suggest driving it. To bad that car prices are crazy now. Any thoughts on what you may be looking to get?
Old 09-17-21, 09:01 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Thanks Bud, that's the answer I was looking for. Yes, it would be "short term". It's more of a "IF I need to get to the store car," seeing how I'm by myself now. I'm just glad I fixed the E-brake a couple years ago. That, low gear, and neutral is all I need.......for now.

Originally Posted by RA40
Not worth the risk on a public road, I would not suggest driving it. To bad that car prices are crazy now. Any thoughts on what you may be looking to get?
What I am looking for is a well taken care of (hopefully one owner) 93-00 LS400 for under $6K, which is pretty hard to find nowadays.

Thanks Mike for the advice but to everyone else that is gonna say "it shouldn't be driven", I know that.
It's not like I drive on a NASCAR road course or I'm some kid that just got a license, I've driven a heck of alot worse vehicles in worse situations for alot longer time and distance. To me it's still drivable, just by adding fluid. It's only a pin hole where it's rotted so it's not like it's guzzling out, but it would be better if the line was blocked somehow cuz of the other rust on the line.
Yesterday I went to one of the major "muffler and brake" chain stores (I won't mention which one) and they said they want $700 to run two new lines to the front. That's outrageous. I'm not gonna take that out of my new (used) car money.
The following users liked this post:
timmy0tool (09-17-21)
Old 09-17-21, 09:24 AM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
You advocate driving with capped brake lines?
yes, only to get the car positioned for further repair. i'm sure dean is fully aware of the ramifications driving on public roads.

we've all driven on flat tires; i always tell my wife do not pull over on the highway as much as you can help it for your safety. drive on the flat tire and ruin the rim if it gets you out of harm's way!
Old 09-17-21, 10:15 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

yes, only to get the car positioned for further repair. i'm sure dean is fully aware of the ramifications driving on public roads.

we've all driven on flat tires; i always tell my wife do not pull over on the highway as much as you can help it for your safety. drive on the flat tire and ruin the rim if it gets you out of harm's way!
.."and ladies and gentlemen of the jury in your deliberations in awarding damages for my grievously injured client refer you to the recommendation of Defendant that my client modify and drive a vehicle with an unsafe braking system, for any distance..."
Old 09-17-21, 11:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

We've established and Dean is aware of the risks. Let's move on from that going forward please.
The following 2 users liked this post by RA40:
bradland (09-17-21), deanshark (09-17-21)