LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 LS 400 Strange Beeps

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 05:43 PM
Melissa8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 1994 LS 400 Strange Beeps

Hello,

I have a 1994 LS400 that will beep after turning off the car and sitting in it for a little bit. It's NOT immediately after I take the key out. It will beep a few times in a row and then just stop.

Does anyone know what that could be warning me of?

Thank you for your help.

Melissa8
Old 09-29-21, 12:24 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

Hi Melissa,

First, we need to understand what kind of beep your car is making. A recording of the sound would be the most helpful.

1. Does the car have an aftermarket alarm system equipped with a key fob remote? It could simply be that the car is arming the alarm system after sitting turned off.

2. Does your car have a moonroof, and does the beeping sound happen to sound like this?

Example video:

If it's this exact sound, then it's the moonroof open alert, even if it's chiming after the car is sitting for a little bit.

This could happen either because the moonroof is not fully closed, or the car thinks that it is partially open from a failing switch.

Try to re-close your sunroof, and make sure that it does this fully to resolve this issue.

3. Does it sound like the lock/unlock beep (included in LS 400 models starting in 1993)?

Example:

In this video, the car plays the unlock sound (2 beeps), followed by the lock sound (1 beep).

If your car is doing this multiple times, then it could be that the car for some reason is auto locking or unlocking after sitting. It would be important to note if the car's door locks move during the beeping.

------

These are just a few thoughts I have off the top of my head. Please let us know. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-21, 02:25 PM
Melissa8
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Celsior Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I went into the car today and opened and closed the moonroof. It no longer beeps!

Thanks a million!

Melissa8
The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (09-29-21)
Old 10-02-21, 06:51 AM
JRF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of beeps. I have a LS 400 2000 model. Recently, my right blinker, not left, and right blinker only on an incline will make a deep beeping sound akin to how the blinkers on 60's cars use to make. It seems to be coming from the right rear (maybe trunk) of the car.

As soon as I turn and the blinker is off the sound stops. It does not make the sound on a flat road. This makes me think a fluid is involved or a metal contact influenced by gravity.

Trusted tech guy thinks (without really looking at it) that there is a module that controls the blinkers that may have a problem.

This just started after I used a cell phone charger plugged in to the cigarette lighter. I wonder if this is what caused the problem.

Thank you,

John