LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Shifter moves but won't engage gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 07:35 PM
Italdre9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter moves but won't engage gears

Hi, i purchased a 1995 LS400 with 160k miles for my son. The car was well maintained, single owner according to Carfax. I've had it for a month and already put 1000 miles on it. I just changed the timing belt kit, water pump, serpentine, hoses at a shop for convenience. Later that night while my son was driving around, the transmission started to "slip" and act strange (while on a bridge) so he parked it. When I went to check the car out, the transmission won't engage in gear. The shifter moves to all gears, the dash shows which gear it is in, however it is acting as the shifter is not connected to the transmission. The speedometer sometimes needs a tap. Oil is pink, if anything it might have too much oil. The wire in the trunk hinge looks fine. No codes. Does anyone know if the transmission crapped out, or is there something I can do to fix it. I usually fix my own cars.

I've tried searching posts and the internet but can't find my exact problems. Before this problem, two mechanics had told me the car is suitable for a full flush and the transmission mount is fine. I just wanted the belt changed first before working on the transmission. 🧐🤔👴👴👴

Last edited by Italdre9; 09-29-21 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-29-21, 08:47 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by Italdre9
Hi, i purchased a 1995 LS400 with 160k miles for my son. The car was well maintained, single owner according to Carfax. I've had it for a month and already put 1000 miles on it. I just changed the timing belt kit, water pump, serpentine, hoses at a shop for convenience. Later that night while my son was driving around, the transmission started to "slip" and act strange (while on a bridge) so he parked it. When I went to check the car out, the transmission won't engage in gear. The shifter moves to all gears, the dash shows which gear it is in, however it is acting as the shifter is not connected to the transmission. The speedometer sometimes needs a tap. Oil is pink, if anything it might have too much oil. The wire in the trunk hinge looks fine. No codes. Does anyone know if the transmission crapped out, or is there something I can do to fix it. I usually fix my own cars.

I've tried searching posts and the internet but can't find my exact problems. Before this problem, two mechanics had told me the car is suitable for a full flush and the transmission mount is fine. I just wanted the belt changed first before working on the transmission. 🧐🤔👴👴👴
Sorry for your trouble. Sounds like the line pressure is lost or too low. Since there's no code and solenoids seemed to be OK. The gear engagements are finally done by the hydraulic energy so called the line pressure. The confirmation of the line pressure can be done like this below. It requires a pressure gauge and an adapter though. A badly clogged strainer, pressure lines or cooling lines causes the low pressure problem. Also the insufficient amount of ATF level causes the low pressure problem too.

Old 09-30-21, 03:11 PM
Italdre9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamae
Sorry for your trouble. Sounds like the line pressure is lost or too low. Since there's no code and solenoids seemed to be OK. The gear engagements are finally done by the hydraulic energy so called the line pressure. The confirmation of the line pressure can be done like this below. It requires a pressure gauge and an adapter though. A badly clogged strainer, pressure lines or cooling lines causes the low pressure problem. Also the insufficient amount of ATF level causes the low pressure problem too.

Thank you for your reply. I will do a pressure check. I am guessing the pressure gauge kit sold at harbor freight does not include the adapter..

Is that something the mechanic who did my timing belt kit may have touched? (Pressure, cooling lines) My transmission problem happened later that night.

Thanks again for your help!!