LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ls400 wms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 10:34 AM
YEAUX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ls400 wms?

Long story short. We are building a 4wd LS400. Looking for WMS to WMS on a 1st gen LS400. Trying to decide which Toyota truck frame we need to drop in on. Want to run long travel suspension, but if stock is wide enough, I'll just leave it. We prefer a tundra/sequoia since they both have a 2uzfe and can drop the 1uzfe in place perfectly, I think its going to be far to wide. I have a Tacoma available. Have a spare 1uzfe with an adapter kit to a transfer case from a previous project. She's going to be 4 Linked in the rear, Long travel up front (pending) on 35's. A ton of fab is going to have to happen to get it sitting low. Preparing to purchase the LS400 soon for this project, but I want to over prepare for this.
The following users liked this post:
beefyqueef (04-12-24)
Old 10-18-21, 11:44 AM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

i admit i had to look up what WMS is; wheel mount spacing. so you are asking for the distance from hub to hub up front in an LS400, correct? or did you need the rear? is this with the suspension in the air or on the ground (to account for suspension swing)? the LS has an IRS.

not sure how experienced you are converting a uni-body chassis car to accept a front transfer case meant for H-frame chassis like the tundra/sequoia/tacoma but i gotta see how this will be done!
Old 10-18-21, 12:12 PM
YEAUX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
i admit i had to look up what WMS is; wheel mount spacing. so you are asking for the distance from hub to hub up front in an LS400, correct? or did you need the rear? is this with the suspension in the air or on the ground (to account for suspension swing)? the LS has an IRS.

not sure how experienced you are converting a uni-body chassis car to accept a front transfer case meant for H-frame chassis like the tundra/sequoia/tacoma but i gotta see how this will be done!
Sorry man! Use to 4wd talk I guess lol. We use WMS to WMS for solid axle widths. But yes, hub to hub in the front on the ground, but even measured on jack stands at full droop isn't much to worry about at least gives me an idea of what axle combos I can run. By the rear axle of the trucks the WMS to WMS of a Tundra is 67" and Tacoma/Pickups are about 60".

We build Rock Bouncers, if you want to give that a search to see what that's all about, so fabrication is no sweat on our backs. This is a build I been wanting to do for a while for a 4x4 car offroad event. A lot of cutting and paneling on the floor board will happen to clear the frame, transfer case and whatever else. Some body mounts fab'd will get this car on the frame. Cars been put on frames for a long time and plenty come out amazing. I'm leaning towards a late model pickup just because they are cheap enough with rusted out cabs and solid frames. Tundra was the main option strictly for the motor mounting. If you clear the engine compartment, the 1uz will bolt in place on the frame in place of the 2uz. However Tundra frame is long, so shortening the frame will have to happen.

Of course I will get a build thread going here as well! I'm just on paper kind of guy, so pre planning is a must to get what I need collected.
Old 10-18-21, 07:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

ah gotcha, well sadly i don't own my LS400 any longer or i would go out and measure! sounds like such a wild idea i want to help in any way i can!

i have owned a 2003 tacoma (albeit 5-lug) and currently own a 2005 sequoia (similar to a tundra) so for sure the tacoma is so much more narrow compared to the LS. the tundra will be a much better fit in my eyes (but i applaud you for wanting to confirm with hard numbers).

what gen tundra/tacoma are your WMS-WMS measurements? i'm willing to bet the later gens have a slightly wider track.
Old 10-18-21, 09:52 PM
YEAUX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
ah gotcha, well sadly i don't own my LS400 any longer or i would go out and measure! sounds like such a wild idea i want to help in any way i can!

i have owned a 2003 tacoma (albeit 5-lug) and currently own a 2005 sequoia (similar to a tundra) so for sure the tacoma is so much more narrow compared to the LS. the tundra will be a much better fit in my eyes (but i applaud you for wanting to confirm with hard numbers).

what gen tundra/tacoma are your WMS-WMS measurements? i'm willing to bet the later gens have a slightly wider track.
1st gen Tundra 00-06 or 1st gen Tacoma 95.5-04. Tundras obviously wider, but same as the previous "full size" T100. Also an option but harder to find. They make pre fabd brackets for the tacoma for 1uz swaps so that's pretty simple buy if needed. Later gen tundras are longer wheelbase and axles I believe are wider, comparable to a 1 ton axle like a 14bolt but the ring gear is 10.5" and that's just a lot of axle for this build.

I want to try and keep the car look as much as possible. There will be a build thread once I get an LS400 and whatever truck needed in the driveway!