LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

This '96 Lexus LS400 is still bulletproof even with 230K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-21, 06:21 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 183 Posts
Default This '96 Lexus LS400 is still bulletproof even with 230K miles.

This '96 Lexus LS400 is still bulletproof even with 230K miles. The CAR WIZARD shows what he found on this high mileage LS400, how simple it was to fix, and why these makes of cars are so trustworthy.

The following 3 users liked this post by 430SLOwner:
BMR95LS400 (10-25-21), Lex212 (10-30-21), wnyjazz (12-11-22)
Old 12-11-22, 08:43 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The car is back in his shop. He diagnoses and then shows the repair for a misfire.

Old 12-13-22, 05:12 PM
Entropic86
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like car wizard generally. What I don't understand is why the automotive Youtuber's talk about our older LS cars as if they are a good idea for your average Joe to go out and buy as a commuter. I've owned two LS400s. They are great cars. But what makes them great is that the designers were given the time and budget to do things the right way, so they are generally very well made. However, if a person wants a $4000 car to get them around, an LS is not for them. They don't talk about the cost to keep them going. The power steering issues, the complexity of a simple timing belt job or alignment, the amount of electrical gadgets that break, the large number of soft rubber bushings in the suspension and engine mounts with a limited lifespan, or just the general high cost to keep them running well. One of the youtubers that borrowed Matt Farah's Million Mile Lexus LS400 said that he keeps a spreadsheet of running costs of all his vehicles. He said that the Million Mile Lexus has by far the highest running costs of any of his vehicles in $/mile... To be expected with that many miles I suppose, but things still break and they aren't easy to fix when you have 32 valve, 4 cams, 2 catalytic converters, 5 mufflers/resonators, two sway bars, and 982 control arm bushings jammed under a low slung sedan. I replaced the valve cover gasket on my Corolla in 12 minutes, fuel injectors took 20 minutes, there are two bushings in the rear suspension... the thing is cake. I like working on my old cars and keeping them running right, so I also have a 24 year old LS because it rides awesome on the highway. But if a potential buyer is thinking an LS might be a stylish ride on a budget, consider a Camry or Avalon. Rant over.
Old 12-13-22, 09:20 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

I'd just like to add that most of the bushings in the rear, well half of them, are pressed into the knuckle. Which means if you want to refresh them you replace the whole thing. Wheel bearing included. And that takes more than a smile. I'm not aware of the bushings, OEM ones, being sold independently of the knuckle. Oh! And hope you don't have to do the upper A-arm in the rear either, it's an absolute PITA to get to. And the front A-arms are $300+\ea now.

And all those things are just the suspension. Then you've got the the cam\crank seals. Starter motor. Not to mention the ECU which will lead the uninitiated on quite the goose chase if they don't know about it.

The value it delivers is it's exceptionally affordable for providing a certain experience - that of luxury and general ride quality and mild horsepower. And how well it can maintain such a high quality experience even after so much time, and miles, have passed. But on the other hand, you still can't beat an already-depreciated Corolla with a ****load of deferred maintenance in terms of cost-per-mile to own and operate. But, that corolla is a ****box. You get what you pay for. Which for many people, just want the cheapest possible appliance of a car. And for that, it's nearly unrivaled.

So yeah I generally agree, most don't really talk about the excess cost, or rather, the asterisk that should be present. 400's can defer a lot of maintenance too, but if you want to maintain the experience and do things right, they do cost a bit of money. All-aluminum parts aren't cheap. Nor are the bushes and components made to such standards.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 12-13-22 at 09:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Entropic86 (12-13-22)
Old 12-13-22, 10:51 PM
Entropic86
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely agree 400FB. The Corolla is just an example. It's absolutely a ****box but its the perfect car when I want to get somewhere around town and not worry about door dings or warming up the engine just to go to the grocery store. Even brand new the thing is terrible on the highway. It just doesn't have the wheelbase, weight, suspension, sound deadening, door seals, etc., to be comfortable on a long trip.

I guess my point is that these endorsements about "The Bulletproof LS400" are horse**** and drive a lot of people to buy an overly complex machine when they don't really talk about the cost to fix that "clunk" when you hit the brakes or that power steering leak, or starter, etc.

Maybe it's for the best. I bought my first LS 14 years ago and it got me into learning how to fix things, got me to buy my own tools, taught me basic diagnostics, how to trace voltage, how to research parts compatibility, how to read schematics... ended up pushing me towards mechanical engineering and an appreciation for vehicle dynamics. But for a young kid's first car they intend to use to learn how to wrench, I'd recommend learning what a PITA a stripped engine bolt can be on the Corolla...

Last edited by Entropic86; 12-13-22 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
400fanboy (12-13-22)