LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Celsior (LS400 Gen1) Ignition Barrel and Key

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-21, 08:26 PM
PhilipMidd
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Celsior (LS400 Gen1) Ignition Barrel and Key

Hello Guys.
My Trusty 1989 Celsior just broke down (sort of) today.
Over the last week I have been noticing the key has been getting harder and harder to insert into the ignition barrel.
This as literally gone from perfectly OK a week ago to impossible yesterday. So its happened FAST considering I literally use it only twice a day most of the time (home to work and work to home).
Yesterday at work I was unable to insert the key. It would get really tight at several points as I tried to in insert the key into the lock.
It still operated the door lock and the boot lock no problems. After jiggering around with it for 3/4 hour, it went in. Cool. I drove home.
I would like to note here that I checked the key for wear and it seemed OK. The leading edge was a little polished, but it is a 32 year old key. It was also perfectly straight and not twisted at all.
I also only have the one key from when I purchased the vehicle.
A home before I thought about what I was doing I removed the key.
That was a huge mistake. Try as I may I could not get the key back in. Eventually I snapped the key (the plastic fob off the top end of the key).
2 hours later I finally gave up trying to get the key back in (tried everything - wiggling, tapping, holding my tongue the 'right way', etc. And lots of CRC, Lithium grease, pointless cursing etc).
Now I'm stuck.
I need a new key and barrel.
The alarm has been disabled but I dont know if this original 1989 Celsior uses the fob at all if the alarm is disabled.
When I purchased the car (about 3 years ago) the old owner told me he had disabled the alarm. He didn't tell me how he had done that, and I can no longer find out as he died months after selling me the car.
The fob has a good battery but it does not lock or unlock the doors. It appear to have no effect what-so-ever, so I have not ever bothered with the single button on it. Everything worked fine without using the button, (except the alarm and that's fine with me).
So my questions are thus:
Q1. With the alarm disabled, does the key fob have any interaction with the ignition that would stop the car from starting if it was either not there or a different fob (I'm thinking a key and barrel from another car like from a wreckers?
Q2. My 1989 Celsior is a JDM import to Australia. Will a replacement key and barrel work from another Celsior or Lexus LS400 Gen 1?
Q2.2 To add to that, what about an LS400 Gen 2? Does anyone know if that would work? (in Australia, there are more Gen2 models and so more Gen2 Wrecking and a greater chance of getting a matching barrel and key)
Q3. Can I get another Barrel and Key from Toyota at a reasonable price? (keeping in mind that I purchased this vehicle for a princely some of $2000 aud 3 years ago (about $1400 usd).
Q3.2. Can I get another Barrel and Key from Toyota keyed to my specific vehicle (VIN 6U900UCF100012884) at a reasonable price? Without the alarm, would it need to be keyed to my vehicle?
Q4, How to remove the Barrel without being able to insert the key and put it to the ACC position to release the barrel. I understand the standard method is to drill out the hardened steel pin(s) but that invariably turns into a disaster as the pin(s) are hardened steel and the surrounding barrel holder is made of relatively soft metal. You wind up making a mess to say the least.
Q5. Am I missing something? Is there any other way of getting around this I have missed?
Q6. How do I manually power the Windows to wind them up? 2 of the windows are part way down. I cant close them as I need ignition on to power the windows. Is there a relay somewhere I can bridge or do I need to take the switches off and play with earthing and powering pins? Has potential of frying a switch.

Any help appreciated. This is currently my only method of transport and I'm borrowing a car to get 2 and from work.
Old 11-24-21, 08:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Can't answer your questions about the remote, but the LS and Celsior have the same steering column, or almost. Does your key have the inner style cut or outer, conventional style? I'm thinking you could put an LS400 lock into your column.

Never removed the barrel on an LS400, other cars if I don't have the key I hammer the pin with a punch it ruins the lock but it comes right out.
The following users liked this post:
PhilipMidd (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 09:12 PM
PhilipMidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Can't answer your questions about the remote, but the LS and Celsior have the same steering column, or almost. Does your key have the inner style cut or outer, conventional style? I'm thinking you could put an LS400 lock into your column.

Never removed the barrel on an LS400, other cars if I don't have the key I hammer the pin with a punch it ruins the lock but it comes right out.
Thank you for your answer.
My key is the flat bar type with the inner style cut. (not like a conventional house or padlock key for example).
Punch the pin out? Cool idea. Dont care about the old barrel so I'll probably do that after work tonight. Then I can manually turn the switch the barrel attaches to with a set of long nose pliers and 1. Close the windows 2. start and move the car.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
Old 11-24-21, 09:44 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K

Electronics aside, the key shank wears with use and so the barrel mechanicals tend not to recognize its insertion. (My layman's terms..perhaps a locksmith could better articulate)

Try having a new key laser cut at dealer using VIN #.

The following 2 users liked this post by YODAONE:
LeX2K (11-24-21), PhilipMidd (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 10:04 PM
PhilipMidd
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Electronics aside, the key shank wears with use and so the barrel mechanicals tend not to recognize its insertion. (My layman's terms..perhaps a locksmith could better articulate)
Thanks. I will try calling today. Hopefully I have not damaged the barrel, but I suspect the battel is the issue (or it is now...) :
Old 11-24-21, 11:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Good suggestion, I've had this solve a lock/key problem where I could pull the key out of the lock in any position.
Old 11-29-21, 11:05 PM
PhilipMidd
Pit Crew

OK.
Lexus Australia are just saying "We dont think its still available, sorry." Please send us a pic of the build plate. I sent the pic and no more contact. End of story, no more contact and not more replies to my emails.
So, trying second option. Look for second hand one and see if it does some magic with the fob or not. I still have the head of the key, so should be able to make things work if it does have security in the key electronics
I know (or I'm pretty sure) the 89 Celsior ignition lock is the same as the LS400 Gen1 Lock, but is there any difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 locks/barrels?
I cant find another Gen1 barrel and key second hand, so wondering if I can expand my search to LS400 Gen2 (1990-2000)?
Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.