LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help appreciated(1990 LS400) -oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-21, 10:36 AM
AlumRock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help appreciated(1990 LS400) -oil leak

Hello,

My 1990 LS400 has a major oil leak, and I'm trying to figure out where it could be from.
I first thought it was from the Oil Filter area, but I cleaned it up and it's not coming from there.

My LS400 is an early production model, May 1989 I believe, before the official dates I could find.

ANY help is appreciated,
Thank you. Video and picture of car attached.
Video:

Last edited by RA40; 12-10-21 at 12:05 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 12-10-21, 10:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Serious leak. Clean the engine as much as possible then start it and watch carefully. First glance looks like crank seal but that is not a seal that generally leaks that badly.
The following users liked this post:
AlumRock (12-10-21)
Old 12-10-21, 10:49 AM
AlumRock
Driver School Candidate

It is serious, don't want to risk driving it like this.
Oil pressure light came on and that's what alerted me at first.

Thank you!
Old 12-10-21, 11:09 AM
bradland

Received 685 Likes on 561 Posts

The only way to know for sure is by removing the timing covers from the front of the engine.
But, based on the rapid flow and the proximity of the crank directly above in the video, I'd say the crank seal is a likely candidate.
For example, if it were coming from a cam seal, at least a foot higher, the flow would slow considerably as it washed down the front of the block and likely dispersed (sprayed) by rotating parts.
The crank seal is inexpensive and relatively easy to replace unfortunately there's a substantial amount of labor involved just to get to it.
AlumRock (12-10-21)
Old 12-10-21, 01:36 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

Welcome! Wow, that's a very early production model. How long have you had this car?

I agree with bradland. Might as well do a timing belt change at this point, since you'll have to take everything off to inspect it, too.

It looks like the crank seal based on the location and how fast it's coming out. I would not drive the car until the job has been done.
AlumRock (12-10-21)
Old 12-10-21, 01:45 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Without a doubt in my mind, that's coming from your crank seal. That's the only thing above the oil leak.
The crank seal is only about $12 from the dealer but here's the work involved to change it; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html I'll be doing mine next week, if it stays warm here.

Plus, with that much leaking inside there, you must have oil going on the timing belt.
AlumRock (12-10-21)
Old 12-10-21, 01:47 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Use Proper Harmonic Balancer Removal Tool

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Welcome! Wow, that's a very early production model. How long have you had this car?

I agree with bradland. Might as well do a timing belt change at this point, since you'll have to take everything off to inspect it, too.

It looks like the crank seal based on the location and how fast it's coming out. I would not drive the car until the job has been done.

To perform front crank seal replacement and timing belt service will require removal of harmonic balancer...

Do avoid damaging the 30.year old rubber Harmonic Balanced element requires a special tool.

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ct-wrench.html

AlumRock (12-10-21)
Old 12-10-21, 03:40 PM
AlumRock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
To perform front crank seal replacement and timing belt service will require removal of harmonic balancer...

Do avoid damaging the 30.year old rubber Harmonic Balanced element requires a special tool.

See:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ct-wrench.html
Thanks YODAONE! Very helpful information needed to tackle this job.

Originally Posted by deanshark
Without a doubt in my mind, that's coming from your crank seal. That's the only thing above the oil leak.
The crank seal is only about $12 from the dealer but here's the work involved to change it; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html I'll be doing mine next week, if it stays warm here.

Plus, with that much leaking inside there, you must have oil going on the timing belt.
Thank you deanshark, for the link! I'm glad it's inexpensive.

Originally Posted by CELSI0R

Thanks CELSI0R, I've had the car about 10 years now, made a mistake on the production date. June 1989, see picture.

Originally Posted by bradland
The only way to know for sure is by removing the timing covers from the front of the engine.
But, based on the rapid flow and the proximity of the crank directly above in the video, I'd say the crank seal is a likely candidate.
For example, if it were coming from a cam seal, at least a foot higher, the flow would slow considerably as it washed down the front of the block and likely dispersed (sprayed) by rotating parts.
The crank seal is inexpensive and relatively easy to replace unfortunately there's a substantial amount of labor involved just to get to it.
Thank you bradland, crank seal definitely looks like it now thanks for the explanation 👍
CELSI0R (12-10-21)
Old 12-10-21, 06:36 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

Wow, that's incredibly early as #1358! Probably the second month of production if I recall correctly.

Is your car equipped with the blue cloth interior too? Mine has grey cloth, and the headrests and seats from mine look very similar to yours. The leather headrests look a lot smoother at the seams, so the cloth has a very distinct appearance.

Production date for my car is Oct. 1990
Old 12-13-21, 09:41 AM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

i agree it's the front crank seal. easy to replace, hard to get to...it's essentially a timing belt job at that point!
Old 12-13-21, 12:09 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

The crank seal in my 97' blew and coated the belt in oil. I would suggest doing a timing belt service and be prepared to clean up surrounding covers
Old 12-13-21, 05:22 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 249 Likes on 203 Posts

Seems like replacing the crank seal is regularly overlooked when doing the timing belt and water pump. Which is crazy cause it only takes about 5 minutes to replace after the water pump has been removed. I think I could actually replace it after removing the harmonic balancer, and lower timing cover if I needed too, but you can’t leave the old timing belt in there after it’s been soaking in all that oil.
Peacebay (12-13-21)
Old 12-14-21, 03:21 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoods801
Seems like replacing the crank seal is regularly overlooked when doing the timing belt and water pump. Which is crazy cause it only takes about 5 minutes to replace after the water pump has been removed. I think I could actually replace it after removing the harmonic balancer, and lower timing cover if I needed too, but you can’t leave the old timing belt in there after it’s been soaking in all that oil.
you can't remove the seal w/o removing the lower timing sprocket on the crank. you cannot remove the sprocket w/o removing (or at least loosening) the t-belt.

i agree the crank seal should be replaced during a t-belt replacement, and is not emphasized enough. i didn't do it and my driveway still bears the stains!