LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lost ignition key 1990 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-21, 06:32 PM
McVilllain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost ignition key 1990 LS400

Hey all,

I had my key stolen out of my second vehicle while at work one day and came to find out that I was now unable to start my ls400. After a bunch of research and questions I ended up springing for a local mobile locksmith to try and cut me a new ignition key. The problem is, the passenger door and driver door are different locks but the driver door matches the ignition because I never had issues unlocking that door and starting the vehicle with the same key. I have no idea if the passenger door lock got replaced or if the ignition and driver lock got replaced together, but the locksmith was able to cut 2 keys, one for each door (which worked for respective doors), but neither turned the ignition at all.

I know the early models did not have transponder chips so that can't possibly be the issue, right?

My theory is that the ignition cylinder has more to it than the door lock cylinder so simply cutting a key out of a door lock wouldn't cut it (no pun intended), but I'm no locksmith or Lexus mechanic.

Does anyone have any experience with ignition cylinders and locks on these cars? I've heard I can give my vin to a locksmith or dealer and they should be able to cut a new key using my registration, but if the ignition was replaced, I may be SOL. Another plan of mine was to go to a junkyard to get an ignition cylinder and matching key but I don't know how simple that would be to replace, if I would need to do anything obd1 related at a dealer or if it would just drop in and start the car. I don't have unlimited money to experiment will all of these options so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Old 12-14-21, 05:30 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

1st gen models don't use transponder keys, so you don't have to worry about the extra complexity there.

If I recall, the ignition cylinder requires one additional cut I believe at the tip of the key, but I haven't cut the key myself before so I can't say for sure.

To have more confidence in figuring out which cylinders were replaced on your car, see which key works with the glove box and with the trunk.

If the key for your driver door and ignition works with the glove box and with the trunk, then it's very likely that only the passenger door cylinder was replaced.

However, if you find the opposite is true, then it's probably the case that the driver's door lock and the ignition cylinder were replaced.

Cutting a key at the dealer will be expensive and will probably cost a lot more than replacing the cylinder from a junk car (although, not ideal of course because you will have 3 keys... But not much that can be done at that point).

You will find some videos and posts about replacing the cylinder online. There are posts in this forum, too
Old 12-16-21, 10:04 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

On my 1995 LS400 i saw a 4 digit key code number in the user manual that was written down by hand on one of the first pages. A local helpful locksmith could not do even a copy of a existing key but pointed me to the only place in town (besides the very expensive dealer) in Stockholm Sweden where they could cut me a perfect new key from the 4 digit code. A Toyota/Lexus kapable key machine. Cost me 30 US$ and they did it in a 2 minutes flat. Automatic machine.

Very good solution even if the key is marked TOYOTA . Fit perfectly
Old 11-03-22, 10:17 PM
ShelbyGT
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McVilllain
Hey all,

I had my key stolen out of my second vehicle while at work one day and came to find out that I was now unable to start my ls400. After a bunch of research and questions I ended up springing for a local mobile locksmith to try and cut me a new ignition key. The problem is, the passenger door and driver door are different locks but the driver door matches the ignition because I never had issues unlocking that door and starting the vehicle with the same key. I have no idea if the passenger door lock got replaced or if the ignition and driver lock got replaced together, but the locksmith was able to cut 2 keys, one for each door (which worked for respective doors), but neither turned the ignition at all.

I know the early models did not have transponder chips so that can't possibly be the issue, right?

My theory is that the ignition cylinder has more to it than the door lock cylinder so simply cutting a key out of a door lock wouldn't cut it (no pun intended), but I'm no locksmith or Lexus mechanic.

Does anyone have any experience with ignition cylinders and locks on these cars? I've heard I can give my vin to a locksmith or dealer and they should be able to cut a new key using my registration, but if the ignition was replaced, I may be SOL. Another plan of mine was to go to a junkyard to get an ignition cylinder and matching key but I don't know how simple that would be to replace, if I would need to do anything obd1 related at a dealer or if it would just drop in and start the car. I don't have unlimited money to experiment will all of these options so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
It cost me $40 for a key made at the dealer. I have a 91 LS400. Its not the cool one with the alarm button. The dealer called it a valet key. BUT, prior to losing my original key, my daughter had locked my glovebox, (just because she could, lol), and my original key with the alarm button on the side would NOT unlock it! For months I couldnt get in to it! Then, bored one day I took a lock pick set to it and my car went on superlockdown, disabling the ignition and everything. Oddly enough, the valet key opened it no problem. Oh, and had to put the key into the passenger door and unlock to reverse the "superlockdown"! I did have to take my title down to the dealership but for $40 I had 2 made ...just in case. I was told the original key with the side button alarm would have been $453 IF they still made them.. I miss my side button alarm lock unlock feature so much. Sticking the key in the door to lock unlock seems so barbaric to me now.. so spoiled!