LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replaced ECT Sensor after 55,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 08:38 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Replaced ECT Sensor after 55,000 miles

Was experiencing barely discernible misfire on cold start.

Maintenance related parts; MAF, O2 sensors and spark plugs are new...

However, the ECT sensor was replaced about 55,000 miles and 5 years ago...

On a hunch, acquired a new sensor from Lexus and installed it today..and there was an improvement.

Observed the plastic connector on old sensor was cockeyed and separated from the brass probe.

Anyone with an original ECT Sensor will see noticeable improvement by replacing it.

Image depicting separation from connector to probe base. My best guess is water or condensation accumulated and then froze causing separation.
Old 01-15-22, 09:02 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Water freezing I could see that. Any signs of coolant leakage?

Last edited by RA40; 01-16-22 at 12:50 PM. Reason: wording
Old 01-16-22, 01:43 AM
Yamae

Received 887 Likes on 669 Posts

Would you mind informing us the resistance of your failed ECT sensor?
Old 01-17-22, 05:38 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae
Would you mind informing us the resistance of your failed ECT sensor?
Please excuse the late response, had to retrieve sensor from trash bin to provide readings.

Probe was at 6.4 @ ~32 Fahrenheit before image was taken...
Old 01-17-22, 05:39 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
Water freezing I could see that. Any signs of coolant leakage?
No coolant leakage...
Old 01-17-22, 05:52 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Replaced Connector Shell on ECT Sensor

The ECT sensor wiring harness side plastic connector shell does not hold up to engine heat and so the locking tab breaks after first or second removal. My second replacement.

New connector shell depicting locking mechanism. Due to design and compound, coupled with the tight confines, it is challenging to depress the lance to release it from the ECT sensor.

When replacing any component that plugs into the engine wiring harness, you will save time and a second visit to the dealer by purchasing the connector shell in advance.
Old 01-18-22, 03:30 AM
Yamae

Received 887 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Please excuse the late response, had to retrieve sensor from trash bin to provide readings.
Probe was at 6.4 @ ~32 Fahrenheit before image was taken...
Thanks for measuring it. According to the service manual, the resistance of the ECT sensor should be within the range shown below. And I though yours was out of it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
BNastee (01-18-22), RA40 (01-18-22)
Old 01-18-22, 08:07 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

The last OEM sensor I bought snapped on install by just snugly tightening. (no torque) So I got another OEM and it's made different. Go figure.
On this OEM I have from the dealer here, the plastic connector sits inside the brass and is sealed somehow. I feel this is better made then like yours with the plastic sitting on top of the brass, which is what I had last time from a different dealer. All depends on which supplier each dealer uses I guess. Ya never know what you're gonna get when you buy a part.
Was yours bad because of the separation or did it just wear out like they do over time?
Old 01-18-22, 12:31 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by deanshark
The last OEM sensor I bought snapped on install by just snugly tightening. (no torque) So I got another OEM and it's made different. Go figure.
On this OEM I have from the dealer here, the plastic connector sits inside the brass and is sealed somehow. I feel this is better made then like yours with the plastic sitting on top of the brass, which is what I had last time from a different dealer. All depends on which supplier each dealer uses I guess. Ya never know what you're gonna get when you buy a part.
Was yours bad because of the separation or did it just wear out like they do over time?
Had to go through 5 deep well sockets before locating one that would properly clear the connector shell on sensor...then it is like changing a sparkplug using a socket without a rubber insert...you have to be in perfect angular alignment when tightening.

It appeared I had an out of range issue at colder temperatures..
Lexus Shop Manual ECT sensor resistance vs temperature chart is not as accurate or legible as what Yamae posted...

55,000 miles is nothing on these sensors..so perhaps the ECT pins were not properly aligning and making full contact with wiring harness connector contacts...

The separation issue is likely an aberration on this sensor
Before purchasing, Lexus dealer advised not a superceding part number, and still made in Japan, so unclear how dealer location impacts ECT sensor configuration.

The "old" ECT sensor is OEM, as is second sensor...

Any images of yours?

Thanks.

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-18-22 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 07:41 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Had to go through 5 deep well sockets before locating one that would properly clear the connector shell on sensor...then it is like changing a sparkplug using a socket without a rubber insert...you have to be in perfect angular alignment when tightening.

Before purchasing, Lexus dealer advised not a superceding part number, and still made in Japan, so unclear how dealer location impacts ECT sensor configuration.

Any images of yours?

Thanks.
I tried 3 sockets before finding the correct one cuz of that darn connector. And every one I pulled out the connector broke right off due to the corrosion.

I have no images of the sensor I have now cuz of the garbage camera I have on my cheap phone. (which is changing next month due to a service change) I have no need for a camera, nor do I like technology. (that's a whole nother story)

But anyway, this sensor looks exactly like this one. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...tra2=&filter=()
The first one I got was from Bell Lexus (which looks like yours) and this one I have now I got from the Lexus dealer here in Ct. Both ordered with same part #.
Old 01-19-22, 09:48 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

I tried 3 sockets before finding the correct one cuz of that darn connector. And every one I pulled out the connector broke right off due to the corrosion.

I have no images of the sensor I have now cuz of the garbage camera I have on my cheap phone. (which is changing next month due to a service change) I have no need for a camera, nor do I like technology. (that's a whole nother story)

But anyway, this sensor looks exactly like this one. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...tra2=&filter=()
The first one I got was from Bell Lexus (which looks like yours) and this one I have now I got from the Lexus dealer here in Ct. Both ordered with same part #.

The ECT housing on replacement is black.

This must be a stock image

Stock ECT image? The OEM crush washer is copper...
Old 01-19-22, 12:22 PM
bradland

Received 678 Likes on 554 Posts

It appeared I had an out of range issue at colder temperatures..
Lexus Shop Manual ECT sensor resistance vs temperature chart is not as accurate or legible as what Yamae posted...

Thanks.
Someone must have spilled coffee on that page of your shop manual.

Old 01-19-22, 02:48 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bradland
Someone must have spilled coffee on that page of your shop manual.

The Japanese version is better.

In view of size, do you think this chart is user friendly or accurate?

Tiny chart, so in the same space, the better practice would be to provide acceptable resistance ranges at various temperatures.
Old 01-19-22, 04:09 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

The ECT housing on replacement is black.

This must be a stock image

Stock ECT image? The OEM crush washer is copper...
What year is yours for? Every ECT I bought for my '93 or '94, whether it be OEM or aftermarket, has had a green housing.
This last one I got didn't even have the crush washer with it. But I do have some extras. (copper)

Going by the pics in this thread; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ange-pics.html
On his '95 the OEM ECT connector is green. The aftermarket ECT he bought from Azone has the black connector. Both have the plastic inside the brass, like the stock image you posted.
Old 01-19-22, 07:02 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

What year is yours for? Every ECT I bought for my '93 or '94, whether it be OEM or aftermarket, has had a green housing.
This last one I got didn't even have the crush washer with it. But I do have some extras. (copper)

Going by the pics in this thread; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ange-pics.html
On his '95 the OEM ECT connector is green. The aftermarket ECT he bought from Azone has the black connector. Both have the plastic inside the brass, like the stock image you posted.

1999 LS400 ECT sensor depicts part number is 89422-30030.
1993 and 1996 LS400 depicts ECT sensor part number is 89422-20010.

1993 ECT sensor

1996 LS400 ECT sensor

1999 LS400 ECT sensor

1999 LS400 sensor does not have a brass collar around the plastic base to bettee secure it as does earlier versions. Based (no pun intended) on the issue with mine, the newer style does not appear to be a mechanical improvement.

The earlier version employs a collar around the plastic base which appears more durable.

Anyone know if sensors are interchangeable?

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-19-22 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Replaced ECT Sensor after 55,000 miles