LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1999 ls400 timing belt/water pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 09:58 AM
dryyfood
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 ls400 timing belt/water pump replacement

Recently I have bought a new timing belt and water pump for my 1999 ls400, the problem is I dont have the money to have someone else do it or the knowledge to do it my self. Is there any step by step guide or youtube video that could help. I took apart the front end a little detaching the radiator and tubes from the engine that seemed to be need to be moved in order to get to the belt and water pump, its been sitting there like that since december because it started to snow and get really cold where I live. I had someone help me a little and he ended up faking out and not wanting to help anymore, so i'm tired of my car just sitting there, I dont want it to just die from sitting and not being ran so I need to get it done soon to get it back on the road. I have all the needed tools I just need to know how to replace the stuff and what and how to take the stuff apart.
Thank you.
Old 01-21-22, 04:24 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoW2NMJ
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoWgr21

Good tutorials, but put the belt over the pulleys before you bolt in the tensioner. Also, if I recall, you should install the passenger side timing cover before the thermostat housing, as the housing blocks the install of the timing cover.

Last edited by aptoslexus; 01-21-22 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 04:33 PM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Disregard this useless post.

Last edited by aptoslexus; 01-21-22 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 04:38 PM
bradland

Received 682 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by dryyfood
Recently I have bought a new timing belt and water pump for my 1999 ls400, the problem is I dont have the money to have someone else do it or the knowledge to do it my self. Is there any step by step guide or youtube video that could help. I took apart the front end a little detaching the radiator and tubes from the engine that seemed to be need to be moved in order to get to the belt and water pump, its been sitting there like that since december because it started to snow and get really cold where I live. I had someone help me a little and he ended up faking out and not wanting to help anymore, so i'm tired of my car just sitting there, I dont want it to just die from sitting and not being ran so I need to get it done soon to get it back on the road. I have all the needed tools I just need to know how to replace the stuff and what and how to take the stuff apart.
Thank you.
Are you doing the work because of mechanical issues or as a precautionary measure?
Old 01-21-22, 07:35 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by dryyfood
Thank you.
I suggest you reassemble until warmer weather and you can find a mechanic...

This is an interference engine...and not one to learn on the hard way.

Certain areas require use of FIPG, which will not cure in cold weather....

Obtain a Lexus Shop Manual and collect the necessary special tools.

Why count on anyone to volunteer on this...

Find a mechanic who wants to make $$ on the side..offer at least $300.
Old 01-22-22, 03:33 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE

This is an interference engine...and not one to learn on the hard way.

Certain areas require use of FIPG, which will not cure in cold weather....

Obtain a Lexus Shop Manual and collect the necessary special tools.

Why count on anyone to volunteer on this...

Find a mechanic who wants to make $$ on the side..offer at least $300.
This is ALL good advice. The reason my car has sat for almost 2 months already is cuz of the cold weather. (not as young as I used to be) Yesterday, only 7* outside.

If you do take this on yourself, and you're not a seasoned mechanic, the Lexus service manual is a must. First, and best, investment I made when I got my first LS400. You don't want to do all this work, turn the key, and waste the engine.

Most of the tutorials you'll find are for the earlier model engine so make sure ya follow the directions for the '99.
Old 01-22-22, 12:53 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 806 Likes on 598 Posts

I don't believe this is a diy thing unless you have some experience doing similar types of repairs and have a service manual to refer to. The front comes apart and is reassembled in layers if you know what I mean, also there are pulleys and tensioner assy that may need replacement...crank seal should be done once you are into that area for sure. These pics are from a 96 but they are similar to what you will see when you are just getting into the repair.

The following users liked this post:
dryyfood (01-23-22)
Old 01-24-22, 10:16 AM
timmy0tool

Received 424 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by YODAONE
i agree here! since it sounds like you just removed the radiator, reinstall it and get the car running again and wait for better weather and/or funds available.

if you still want to see what it takes to get this job done, aptoslexus gave two great links!
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (01-25-22)