LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

It’s probably your ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 07:05 AM
Allblack93
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default It’s probably your ECU

started have throttle issues out of nowhere, anything more than 2000 rpm would trigger the check engine light and cause the rpm to surge down as well as make the throttle unresponsive.
I checked the forums, ended up replacing my TPS. That helped, for about a week. Then I would have this issue seemingly on and off for a few weeks.
Time for more research, found a thread ECU capacitor leaks. This is a not just a “common issue” it’s inevitable failure. An Achilles heel.
First off, think about the capacitors in your ECU like scheduled maintenance, and your 20+ years overdue! If you haven’t had them replace by a seasoned professional familiar with the platform, do it ASAP.
that leakage can damage important connections and ultimately cause complete failure, it’s important to get on it, even if you’re not having any problems! These computers only get rarer and rarer
fix it once, and fix it right! Even if you get one from a junkyard or a “mint condition” one off eBay (RISKY), it’s still going to have these old faulty capacitors.
it’s easy to get your glove box and kick panel out of the way, there’s threads for that. Just take your time and don’t strip anything. open it up properly, this is really important.
you need to see the leakage for yourself, out of 8 capacitors, 5 of mine were toast. There was other damage from leaks as well.

Not only was my LS fixed from the first crank after reinstall, but because the engineering and development from members of ClubLexus , upgraded and proprietary OE quality “super capacitors” have been created to replace this major issue.
I have noticed the following
Increase in torque through every gear into that full throttle engage that I’m sure we all love so well, incredibly strong, no dead zones. The 1UZ is a de-tuned racing engine, don’t forget.
increased fuel economy
Smoother shifting
PWR mode preposterous, I have vintage plates on the thing, what a sleeper!
And as a side note, my sound system was louder too!
I couldn’t be happier, this LS is a whole new animal.

These brown cylinders are your capacitors, you can see the dark brown leakage underneath

The following 2 users liked this post by Allblack93:
400fanboy (01-22-22), Yamae (01-22-22)
Old 01-22-22, 09:12 AM
Yamae

Received 889 Likes on 671 Posts

Thank you for writing about your experience with pictures, Allblack93. I'm glad that your LS400 is running good again.
The following users liked this post:
Allblack93 (01-22-22)