LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

97 LS400 Starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-22, 10:30 AM
LS400Lucas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 LS400 Starter

Hi, I am replacing the starter in my 97 ls and Ive taken off the intake manifold and intake plenum. I can see the starter Im just confused how to get it out and replace it. The back of the starter is really hard to reach. Do I have to take off the coolant crossover bar? How did you guys do this job?
Old 01-24-22, 11:15 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400Lucas
Hi, I am replacing the starter in my 97 ls and Ive taken off the intake manifold and intake plenum. I can see the starter Im just confused how to get it out and replace it. The back of the starter is really hard to reach. Do I have to take off the coolant crossover bar? How did you guys do this job?
Well, I've seen videos of people taking out the starter without removing the crossover, but I found it to be impossible with my tool and skill set. I took it out. Have new gaskets for it if you do. You'll need to remove some bolts from the wiring harness to move it out of the way. Then you just need to get a wrench on the bolts and take them out. You might find it helpful to have an extra long swivel-head ratcheting wrench to make it easier, but you can do it with a regular 15% offset wrench.
Good video for the ls430 that covers most of the bases:
Old 01-24-22, 11:31 AM
LS400Lucas
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! The intake manifold is alot different but the starter assembly n middle of engine is exactly the same, this should help me a lot more than the videos I found on the 1st gen ls400s
Old 01-24-22, 01:34 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 314 Likes on 271 Posts

I haven't personally done the starter yet with any of my LSs but I have read a ton on the procedure over the past 12 years just incase. Some have done it without removing the crossover pipe with different swivels and extensions and what have ya. The service manual says to remove it. Plus, the gaskets on the crossover should be changed anyway. (don't want to do this whole job again) They could cause a coolant leak in the near future with the car being so old. (Don't know the mileage) The metal OEM gaskets are cheap enough from Toyota so don't cheap out and get the paper gaskets, it's not worth the chance to save a couple bucks.
The following users liked this post:
LS400Lucas (01-26-22)
Old 01-24-22, 02:38 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 415 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Use Torque Wrench...

Consider replacing front and rear crossover gaskets while intake manifold removed.

Depending on budget, check knock sensors and wiring.

Inspect plastic connector shells on engine wiring harness which are prone to be brittle and break, but are inexpensive from dealer.(not a pigtail)
Locking mechanism on fuel injector wiring harness side plastic connector shells on 1999 LS400 all required replacement.

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-24-22 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LS400Lucas (01-26-22)
Old 01-25-22, 10:25 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YODAONE
Consider replacing front and rear crossover gaskets while intake manifold removed.

Depending on budget, check knock sensors and wiring.

Inspect plastic connector shells on engine wiring harness which are prone to be brittle and break, but are inexpensive from dealer.(not a pigtail)
Locking mechanism on fuel injector wiring harness side plastic connector shells on 1999 LS400 all required replacement.
All good advice and I forgot to mention it.
The reason I didn't mention the "front" crossover pipe gaskets is cuz even with the intake off you need to remove alot of a T-belt job, just to get to one nut on the crossover. (Left timing cover, distributor cap, rotor, distributor housing, L cam gear, metal plate with timing mark, and crankshaft wire loom) All that just to get to ONE of the nuts on the left side of the crossover pipe. Oh yea, I forgot about the T-belt itself also. But with that you could just take off the tensioner and pull the belt off the left cam gear.
I just removed the front crossover from my parts car (RIP at junkyard) for my good car and I've decided to do the whole T-belt/WP job, cuz of all the work involved. (When it gets warmer outside)

Old 01-26-22, 11:21 PM
LS400Lucas
Driver School Candidate

this is the pipe running right over the passenger side knock sensor correct? Please tell me I don't have to do all this for the starter
Old 01-27-22, 01:21 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS400Lucas
this is the pipe running right over the passenger side knock sensor correct? Please tell me I don't have to do all this for the starter
We're talking about the crossover that goes from left to right heads, not the pipe that goes front to back.
I just saw this thread on the starter. https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forum...r-replacement/
In the 3rd post he mentions this tool from Harbor Freight; https://www.harborfreight.com/t-bar-...ium=ForumLinks So ya don't need to take off the crossover ("rear water by-pass joint") I'm not sure about the wire harness though. Like I said before; "I haven't personally done the starter job". (Yet)
This does look like the perfect tool to get to the rear bolts on the starter, I'm surprised I've never seen it mentioned before.