LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Underdrive Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 09:31 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally posted by Lexkost
I have them to my Astro van and do you think that in the 90k that I put on with them it shorted the engine life I don't think so. I now have 170k on it total ( and this is a GM !! )........So I guess he does't know what he's talking about!
I am always amazed at the way people handle information that goes against what they either think or WANT to believe...

I had UD pulleys on my old Ford 5.0. That engine uses a SEPARATE harmonic balancer/dampener (do not confuse with dynamic balance) and the crank drive pulley. IOW, using the UD crank pulley KEPT the harmonic balancer. I am not familiar with the Astro van (not one of the high performance vehicles that I follow ) so maybe Lexkost can tell us if the pulley and harmonic balancer are one part or 2 parts. I suspect 2 parts. On engines that can keep the harmonic balancer UD pulleys can be safely used.

HOWEVER!!!

On the TOYOTA engines... they are ONE part. Replacing the balancer with a non-harmonic balancing dampening part will dramatically accelerate engine wear and in some cases cause catastrophic failure. Please read one of the MANY articles and threads concerning this BEFORE you remove this critical item from your engine. Here a just a FEW places to START.

http://www.lextreme.com/forum/viewto...r=asc&start=15
http://www.technicalf1.com/viewtopic...ic=421&forum=4
http://members.core.com/~faldrich/harmonic.htm
http://www.pacarsearch.com/stealth/udp.htm
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonict...ech/dinan.html
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonict...atedamper.html

But of course I don't know what I am talking about...
Old 10-15-03, 02:24 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jbrady
[B]I am always amazed at the way people handle information that goes against what they either think or WANT to believe...

I had UD pulleys on my old Ford 5.0. That engine uses a SEPARATE harmonic balancer/dampener (do not confuse with dynamic balance) and the crank drive pulley. IOW, using the UD crank pulley KEPT the harmonic balancer. I am not familiar with the Astro van (not one of the high performance vehicles that I follow ) so maybe Lexkost can tell us if the pulley and harmonic balancer are one part or 2 parts. I suspect 2 parts. On engines that can keep the harmonic balancer UD pulleys can be safely used.

Looks like we both misunderstanding(SORRY) I never said to delete the harmonic balancer I was asking about a pulley kit and by the way the Chevy 4.3 is a three pulley set-up like the 5.0HO...I was just asking if a underdrive pulley kit is out there..........And by the way I am a Smart A$$ Thanks for the sites I will look at them................MIKE
Old 10-25-03, 12:14 AM
chrisngo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[edit]

dont't want to spread any false info on a car I am not 100% familiar with!

[/edit]

Last edited by chrisngo; 10-27-03 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-26-03, 08:50 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by chris_sa
I'd have to agree...i carry and endorse ASP 100%.

I've had and underdrive on my 240SX for about 50K miles now. I am looking at about 154K on my 95 240SX.

All that I notice is a better throttle response and quicker pulls to redline.

As far as all the vibrations and dampeners go...I'd say (from experience) that your engine does not suffer from loss of life.

I hope to start my LS400 project VERY soon!!!!
Chris
Chris,

Did you even READ any of the links I provided? Did you read the qualifications I stated? I would like to welcome you to the board but I am trying to help people and simple responses such as yours are not helpful. If you care to offer your experiences... fine. Please define the type of harmonic balancer/pulley configuration is on your various Nissans. Please read the posts I have made and comment with specifics. ASP makes good products BUT the bottom line is that it is NOT safe for an engine to run without a harmonic dampner. Please understand this.
Old 10-26-03, 09:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

John-

I think the ease and promise of performance gains may blind some to any negative side effects. You've done well to present info for us and ultimately how it is used is up to the owner. I understand your position, I have a similar discussion with some close friends about a completely different matter that is reminescent of this.
Old 10-27-03, 10:22 AM
chrisngo
Pole Position

Originally posted by jbrady
Chris,

Did you even READ any of the links I provided? Did you read the qualifications I stated? I would like to welcome you to the board but I am trying to help people and simple responses such as yours are not helpful. If you care to offer your experiences... fine. Please define the type of harmonic balancer/pulley configuration is on your various Nissans. Please read the posts I have made and comment with specifics. ASP makes good products BUT the bottom line is that it is NOT safe for an engine to run without a harmonic dampner. Please understand this.
Thank you for the welcome to the board. I appreciate it.

Yes I've read many MANY posts regarding this subject matter.

But I was also talking through experience. There are many people out there that hesitate to do anything just because they've read somewhere it had ill effects on the engine. My feelings behind these actions are: If you want to learn first hand, do it!

I'd like to add though, even though it will contradict my last point...the LS400 is an expensive car. Trial and error on a car like this would not be the best idea. It's very unfortunate that there are so few people actually modifying these cars. I say it's only a matter of time until people start to tune their cars on a normal basis.

In reagards to my last reply...I was simply trying to say that a Nissan engine (particularly the 240SX, more specifically MINE) responded very well to the addition of a lightened pulley. the 240SX UD Pulley consists of a pulley and damper in two individual pieces.

With that said...i'm out! I'll post more when I actually start my project.
Chris

Last edited by chrisngo; 10-27-03 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-17-03, 07:56 PM
lspower
Pole Position

borrowed from tundrasolutions.com, "FWIW, I talked to a buddy of mine yesterday who's been racing for 20+ years and the conversation went like this:

Me: I ordered an under drive pulley for my Tundra. There's a big "controversy" on TS regarding if replacing the stock pulley/harmonic balancer is a good idea because of possible long term wear on the bearings".

He said: Why? The engine is internally balanced, what do you need a harmonic balancer for? The new pulley is zero balanced, right?

Yep

Then I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy the extra horsepower for what it is...
Just thought I'd share...

Jim."

between this and that a master lexus tech. told me thats its safe, just that i would hear the engine more, i think im finally sold on this.

just putting it out there,
ryan
Old 11-21-03, 06:57 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lspower
borrowed from tundrasolutions.com, "FWIW, I talked to a buddy of mine yesterday who's been racing for 20+ years and the conversation went like this:

Me: I ordered an under drive pulley for my Tundra. There's a big "controversy" on TS regarding if replacing the stock pulley/harmonic balancer is a good idea because of possible long term wear on the bearings".

He said: Why? The engine is internally balanced, what do you need a harmonic balancer for? The new pulley is zero balanced, right?

Yep

Then I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy the extra horsepower for what it is...
Just thought I'd share...

Jim."

between this and that a master lexus tech. told me thats its safe, just that i would hear the engine more, i think im finally sold on this.

just putting it out there,
ryan
Ryan, after ALL that I have warned about and posted links about you are STILL not listening

Go to the top of this page, read ALL the links I posted.

The engine builder quoted in Tundra Forums is a fool. The master tech you quoted is ignorant.