LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Touch Up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-22, 10:38 PM
DC32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch Up Paint

Hey guys, was looking at a '95 LS400 for sale and everything looks great. Basically the only exterior paint issue is on the front driver side bumper, where there is a sizable chip and the paint came off. If you see the pictures there are also some chips on the front of the bumper it looks like. It isn't that big in size and most likely some touch up paint would do the trick. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to go about this? And what do you guys think would be the cost for something like this? Would this be considered a probable bargaining chip to lower the price down (asking price is 8k)? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-19-22, 10:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,932 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Not much bargaining right now if any. Either that bumper and maybe part or the rest of the car was repainted or possibly the car hit something. Think I see other spots with missing top coat. Damage is beyond the scope of touch up paint at the least you'll need some body filler and a spray bomb.
Old 03-20-22, 12:50 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

Agree with Lex2k.

I talked to several paint professionals about the shotgun gravel spray paint chips across the front of my car. They're a lot smaller than yours (smaller than a dry grain of rice), but this is direct consulting from paint\auto detail professionals. tl;dr touchup won't work, the only way to truly fix it and prevent any rusting of the metal hood is to respray.

Same theory applies to large missing sections like that. The entire panel(s) need to be completely repainted. The benefit is the bumper is plastic, so other than aesthetics, your bumper isn't about to start rusting away so the performance implications are zero.

The good news is it's just limited to the front bumper cover. The bad news is, to get a quality paint job it's many, many hundreds of dollars to do it right.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 03-20-22 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 06:24 AM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 232 Posts

I think the left rear door would be more of the bargaining item. Looks like it has been repaired or replaced, as it's darker than the front door and maybe the quarter panel as well.

For the bumper, I don't think you can really bargain much with that, but you can try. The bumper would need a whole respray to be perfect. You can fill it with touch up paint and live with it, but it won't be perfect.
Old 03-21-22, 06:57 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by DC32
Hey guys, was looking at a '95 LS400 for sale and everything looks great. Basically the only exterior paint issue is on the front driver side bumper, where there is a sizable chip and the paint came off. Would this be considered a probable bargaining chip to lower the price down (asking price is 8k)?
Paint chips or scratches & scrapes are not a bargaining chip on a 27 year old car. ( **** happens) The only thing to bargain with would be the mechanical work that has, or has not, been done. Ya never mentioned how many miles are on the car. The difference in color on the doors from front to back looks like it could just be a shadow. Hard to tell with the one picture. As for his asking price of $8K we can't say much about that cuz we don't know, and can't see, anything about the vehicle.
Old 03-21-22, 08:39 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

To me, it looks like the left rear door was replaced. The color doesn't match. As for the front bumper, I agree with what others said. The whole thing needs a respray. Something that is very doable as a diy project for a weekend. I've done mine. I doubt you would get a paint match as the paint on the car looks faded, but it's something you could do yourself for not much money.