LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 LS400 Temp Sending Unit no start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-22, 09:45 PM
deadmariya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 LS400 Temp Sending Unit no start?

Hello CL, first time ever posting on a forum and glad its this one anyway heres my issue. I just got done doing a timing belt and wp job along with the other items that are recommended and when I went to start it, no dice. Took a break and decide to tackle troubleshooting the day after and when I came back, I noticed the coolant temp sending unit was disconnected and also was missing the entire plastic connector part, it was just a tiny piece of metal I assume making contact so I plug it back in, go to start it and the car fires immediately, idling perfect running better than I have ever seen. I keep fiddling with it to try to understand why it was broken and I guess i messed it up more bc the car wont start anymore. My question is would this sensor cause a no start? Or was it a fluke? I've spliced in an actual connector from the junkyard but to no avail. I found this website that states that this sensor contributes to the fuel injection along with ignition timing? Is this true? Any help would be appreciated just trying to make sense of this all

Old 04-09-22, 10:25 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe the wiring harness that I see going around the sensor maybe there's a short in there and your hands were moving the aging harness and something shorted out. Could have blown a fuse or something like that. Not sure, interesting dilemma though.
Old 04-10-22, 09:43 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Don't know what caused your no start but it's not cuz of that sensor.
That coolant sensor is only for the gauge on the dash, not for the ECU. The ECT sensor for the ECU is to the left of that sensor which has a 2 wire connecter.
As mentioned it's possible something with that wiring harness. In that area, maybe you pulled the cam sensor wire out.
Old 04-11-22, 09:57 AM
deadmariya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
Don't know what caused your no start but it's not cuz of that sensor.
That coolant sensor is only for the gauge on the dash, not for the ECU. The ECT sensor for the ECU is to the left of that sensor which has a 2 wire connecter.
As mentioned it's possible something with that wiring harness. In that area, maybe you pulled the cam sensor wire out.
yea could be, definitely will check it out see if i see anything weird, also gonna look at the trunk harness and if that all checks out then ill start to diagnose for spark and fuel and what not thanks guys. Interesting that that website mentions all that stuff about the sensor but its just false lol
Old 04-12-22, 05:46 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by deadmariya
yea could be, definitely will check it out see if i see anything weird, also gonna look at the trunk harness and if that all checks out then ill start to diagnose for spark and fuel and what not thanks guys. Interesting that that website mentions all that stuff about the sensor but its just false lol
Don't know which website you're talking about but the info you posted is true. That's talking about the ECT sensor (sender) next to the sensor for the gauge. If you look to the left of that sensor you will see the ECT. It's the one with the green connecter.
Old 04-12-22, 02:13 PM
deadmariya
Driver School Candidate

So for anyone who cares, I got the car to start. The ground wire by the crank sensor became loose because I didnt run the fan bracket bolt through it, attached the ground straight to the block in place of the ground wire bracket and started fine but now wont start again, now starting to lean towards a heat soak issue. Will look more into it tomorrow

Last edited by deadmariya; 04-12-22 at 03:29 PM.