LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 with 113k Totaled... Worth Fixing or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-22, 10:59 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

I hate hearing stories like this and I've heard plenty. A similar thing happened to me with my '03 GMC. I got paid out, got to keep the vehicle and my insurance company went after the other guy's insurance carrier and get my deductible back for me. Now I have a dented vehicle (I'm not fixing it) with a salvage title. The only real consolation was I got to laugh at the Mini-Cooper's door that got banana-ed when it was opened as I drove by. I never imagined how concave a door could get.

The lesson for me is that carrying full coverage on an old vehicle is just not worth the money no matter how good condition it's in. I would have been money ahead if I would have just carried liability and saved the difference for something I really want....an RC-F or an LC.
Old 04-16-22, 09:25 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Good news is you're in the Lexus mecca of the planet .
Oh how this is true. During the couple years I spent looking for a good LS400 with no rust and no oil leaks, I've seen alot. But then I look to see where it's located, and wouldn't ya know it,??? It's all the way on the other side of the country, in Ca.

SamDyrak.....Don't worry, keep your eyes open and you'll find another one. As you already know, take your time. Good luck with the future search.
Old 04-16-22, 08:45 PM
Yamae

Received 883 Likes on 666 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by deanshark
Oh how this is true. During the couple years I spent looking for a good LS400 with no rust and no oil leaks, I've seen alot. But then I look to see where it's located, and wouldn't ya know it,??? It's all the way on the other side of the country, in Ca.

SamDyrak.....Don't worry, keep your eyes open and you'll find another one. As you already know, take your time. Good luck with the future search.
There are still some good old Celsiors on the other side of the Ocean.
https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/categor...fr=auc_car_adv

Last edited by Yamae; 04-16-22 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-17-22, 07:57 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 294 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm a bit too late for this post, but I would think the car is worth the $5k in repairs + the money you got back from insurance, as it will cost even more to find another + do the maintenance to make the car the same.

You would just have to really want to keep the car, as it wouldn't be worth reselling as you stated.

I would also try to appeal the value of the car again with insurance.. If they only gave you around $2k in this market, that's ridiculous.. I'm sure you spent a lot more for this car.
Old 04-18-22, 08:28 AM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
I'm a bit too late for this post, but I would think the car is worth the $5k in repairs + the money you got back from insurance, as it will cost even more to find another + do the maintenance to make the car the same.

You would just have to really want to keep the car, as it wouldn't be worth reselling as you stated.

I would also try to appeal the value of the car again with insurance.. If they only gave you around $2k in this market, that's ridiculous.. I'm sure you spent a lot more for this car.
I've been an insurance agent for a very well known insurance co. for 30 yrs and can honestly tell you most cos. settle total losses based on a "depreciated" value, not "market" value, so I wouldn't expect any higher figure than what they paid. Unfortunately, these cars(well maintained) are worth a lot more to us than what we will ever be compensated for whether it's an insurance settlement or even an outright sell with no damage, my opinion only but I stand by it.
Old 04-18-22, 09:11 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
Unfortunately, these cars(well maintained) are worth a lot more to us than what we will ever be compensated for whether it's an insurance settlement or even an outright sell with no damage, my opinion only but I stand by it.
Not only your opinion, but fact. These LS400s are never gonna be worth what we value them to be ourselves. My own experience is the one I just bought a few months ago. One owner '93 with 85K miles. Beautiful car, in very good condition. (no rust or leaks) It has a few normal little problems but nothing to make any difference to me. I paid $5K for it and bought about $1K in parts I'm currently putting in. The week I bought it I was offered $8K before any work done. Now that I'm $6K and many hours labor into it, it's priceless to me but by the book worth less then $2K. That's life, we know what we got.
Old 04-18-22, 02:43 PM
timmy0tool

Received 422 Likes on 376 Posts

bummer to see, but i would find a newer/better car if i were you. that quarter panel is a massive pain to fix and to fix it to my standards!

frame is likely fine but you'd have to deal with the salvaged title which is not worth it to me.
Old 04-21-22, 06:44 PM
SamDyrak
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the Advice. Mostly everyone said not to fix it and that is what I did. One person from Canada (01LEXPL) said to fix it but in this case it was to late - copart bumped from 10 days before auction to next day. I do not not think it can ever be fixed to a good standard and it will always have Salvage title. In any case car was sold today on Copart.com for $2,350.00 + all Copart fees and possible Broker fee. So who ever purchased the car will be paying around $3000 for the car and then they will need to fix it. I do not think that car is worth that much even in good shape with salvage title. I am thinking about taking my 1994 LS400 out of the garage and putting back on the road. It is not as clean as my 1995 was but still a LS400. I might also be on the look out for 1997 LS400. What do you all think about 1998-2000 LS400 or LS430?
Old 04-21-22, 07:21 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

One of my brothers has the LS430. He has the 2006, the last year of production of that model. Black color. He likes it and has driven clear across the country and back on two separate occasions with zero issues. The advantage to the 2006 is simply that it is newer, more modern, the side mirrors automatically fold in, kind of interesting upgrades and style. I believe that style is sort of a slipstream style which was popular at the time with other car manufacturers as well. One of the things to consider is there is a brake actuator control module on a lot of the 430's that can cost into the thousands to fix if it goes bad if you have to pay someone else to do it with new oem replacement parts. You can google "average cost for a Lexus LS430 ABS control module replacement" to get an idea.
Old 04-22-22, 01:05 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SamDyrak
I am thinking about taking my 1994 LS400 out of the garage and putting back on the road. It is not as clean as my 1995 was but still a LS400. I might also be on the look out for 1997 LS400. What do you all think about 1998-2000 LS400 or LS430?
Personally I don't like the 98-00 LS400s. I mean, they are nice cars but for me I'd rather have a non-interference engine, (90-94) and alot less electronics to go bad. As for the LS430, I test drove 2 last year when I was looking and for some reason I just couldn't fit right in the seat. Plus I didn't like the looks or the ride. They have their own set of Lexus problems.
Old 04-22-22, 05:44 PM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Personally I don't like the 98-00 LS400s. I mean, they are nice cars but for me I'd rather have a non-interference engine, (90-94) and alot less electronics to go bad. As for the LS430, I test drove 2 last year when I was looking and for some reason I just couldn't fit right in the seat. Plus I didn't like the looks or the ride. They have their own set of Lexus problems.
This is another thing I like about the earlier years. Not that I'd personally ever test my engine this much but the early rods are really strong.