LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93 ls400, lights in center console turns off

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 02:03 PM
Sappen
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 93 ls400, lights in center console turns off

Hey. My first post here. Just bought my first Lexus. I have a weird problem. When starting the car, and not turning on the lights, the lcds and button etc on the center console are lit up. But when turning on the lights, the center console lights turns off? It is frustrating when driving at night.
Old 05-31-22, 02:39 PM
timmy0tool

Received 426 Likes on 380 Posts

short of having actual problems in your wiring harness or switch stalk, likely you have bad capacitors in your ECU.

more:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html

The following users liked this post:
Sappen (06-01-22)
Old 05-31-22, 07:02 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

I see you're in Norway, Sappen. Do you know if your car was modified to have daytime running lights or had any lighting modifications done?

I'm not sure if the ECU would cause this with the lights. I'm wondering if it's the body computer or modified light wiring

What year is this LS?
Sappen (06-01-22)
Old 05-31-22, 07:21 PM
Yamae

Received 894 Likes on 675 Posts

I'd rather think it's related to the failure of the rheostat function. Can you adjust the brightness turning the rheostat *** as you intended?

Last edited by Yamae; 05-31-22 at 07:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yamae:
CELSI0R (05-31-22), Sappen (06-01-22)
Old 06-01-22, 08:15 AM
Sappen
10th Gear

Thank you guys. The car is a 1993. I don’t think the lights are modified in anyway. The brightness adjuster only work on the instrument needles, not the background lights
Old 06-01-22, 08:36 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Sappen
Thank you guys. The car is a 1993. I don’t think the lights are modified in anyway. The brightness adjuster only work on the instrument needles, not the background lights
So only needles are OK to control. How about other part of the cluster meter unit (background)? Does other part completely turn off? If so, the CCFL driver circuit for backgrounds is not working well enough. There are 2 driver circuits. 1 for needles and the other for the background. Both of these go into the dimming mode when turning on lights at night. The dimming is done changing the on/off duty lower. The duty is controlled by the rheostat but it seems to be only effective to the needle's CCFL driver. The driver for the background seems to be stopped when dimmed. I'm an EE guy and there may be a way to fix but without analyzing the circuit myself, it's difficult to say the detail.
CELSI0R (06-04-22)
Old 06-04-22, 02:56 PM
Sappen
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Yamae
So only needles are OK to control. How about other part of the cluster meter unit (background)? Does other part completely turn off? If so, the CCFL driver circuit for backgrounds is not working well enough. There are 2 driver circuits. 1 for needles and the other for the background. Both of these go into the dimming mode when turning on lights at night. The dimming is done changing the on/off duty lower. The duty is controlled by the rheostat but it seems to be only effective to the needle's CCFL driver. The driver for the background seems to be stopped when dimmed. I'm an EE guy and there may be a way to fix but without analyzing the circuit myself, it's difficult to say the detail.
The lights in the instrument cluster stays on. It only the lighting in the center console that turns off when turning lights on. But does this background driver control instrument lighting and lights in center console? Than you for answering yamae
Old 06-04-22, 05:49 PM
CELSI0R
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 237 Posts

Just want to share this diagram and some wiring from the 1993 manual to aid with Yamae's explanation:

Attached Thumbnails 93 ls400, lights in center console turns off-ls400rheostatlightcontrol.png   93 ls400, lights in center console turns off-ls400lightwiring.png  
Yamae (06-04-22)
Old 06-04-22, 06:24 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by CELSI0R
Just want to share this diagram and some wiring from the 1993 manual to aid with Yamae's explanation:
Thanks CELSI0R for the diagram.
I'd check the signal line indicated by a red arrow first and next comes the line with a blue arrow when the light switch is turned ON/OFF.

One simple idea to fix the problem temporarily is to add a resistor between the pin #10 and #4 of the Rheostat Light Control unit. This makes a current bypass. There goes more than a few hundred mA and you have to be careful for the wattage and the heat dissipated. I'd try 10 Ω/10W resistor first. If it were difficult to obtain a resistor, I would try to use a bulb for the brake light.

Last edited by Yamae; 06-04-22 at 07:12 PM. Reason: to add an idea to fix temporarily.
CELSI0R (06-04-22)
Old 02-13-23, 12:06 PM
Sappen
10th Gear

Thanks CELSI0R for the diagram.
I'd check the signal line indicated by a red arrow first and next comes the line with a blue arrow when the light switch is turned ON/OFF.

One simple idea to fix the problem temporarily is to add a resistor between the pin #10 and #4 of the Rheostat Light Control unit. This makes a current bypass. There goes more than a few hundred mA and you have to be careful for the wattage and the heat dissipated. I'd try 10 Ω/10W resistor first. If it were difficult to obtain a resistor, I would try to use a bulb for the brake light.
Thank you guys. I have been trying a few different thing now. So, i took out the ashtray (the light in ashtray was also not working). Checked the bulb, was ok. Both of the yellow wires that go to this bulb have + power? So I tried something. While having the connector attached to the bulb, I tried to ground one of the yellow wires that go to the bulb (used the ground for the cigarette lighter) and tada! Everything works, lights in buttons, ashtray,displays, everything. Only works with one of these yellow wires, if I ground the other one, tail lamp fuse blows. So I am just wondering, what causes this?
Old 02-13-23, 12:41 PM
Sappen
10th Gear

Saw I wrote in the first post here that buttons were lit up when not turning lights on, that is wrong. They have never been lit as long as I owned this car. First time I have seen everything work, when tying to ground this circuit.
Old 02-14-23, 08:45 AM
Sappen
10th Gear

Ever seen something like this @Yamae ? Will I hurt anything if I connect I to ground?
Old 02-14-23, 04:45 PM
Yamae

Ever seen something like this @Yamae ? Will I hurt anything if I connect I to ground?
Which line are you going to ground?
If you mean the line with the blue arrow, it will force bulbs to light up brighter than normal. Use at least a 10 ohm resistor in series to avoid the excess current.
Old 02-15-23, 03:07 AM
Sappen
10th Gear

Which line are you going to ground?
If you mean the line with the blue arrow, it will force bulbs to light up brighter than normal. Use at least a 10 ohm resistor in series to avoid the excess current.

i am connecting one of the wires that go to the ashtray light, to ground
Old 02-15-23, 03:38 AM
Yamae

i am connecting one of the wires that go to the ashtray light, to ground
I only recommend you to ground the line indicated by the blue arrow using a 10 ohm resistor in series.

Quick Reply: 93 ls400, lights in center console turns off