LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS400 True Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 07:33 PM
OnlinBirch
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking LS400 True Dual Exhaust

I just took my 1995 LS400 into the shop today to get a whole cat-back system put in and I must say I adore how it came out.
It's running 2-1/2 inch pipe from the cats back with two MF Resonators center and two MF mufflers at the back. I also had them do cutouts in the bumper to imitate the 89-94 LS400's.

It's pretty loud but I hope as I drive and break it in it'll quiet itself down, but overall I think Tyler at Flowtek Customs in Mason Ohio did a fantastic job and deserves a little shout out.

Old 07-29-22, 12:49 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 314 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by OnlinBirch
I just took my 1995 LS400 into the shop today to get a whole cat-back system put in and I must say I adore how it came out.
It's running 2-1/2 inch pipe from the cats back with two MF Resonators center and two MF mufflers at the back. I also had them do cutouts in the bumper to imitate the 89-94 LS400's.

It's pretty loud but I hope as I drive and break it in it'll quiet itself down, but overall I think Tyler at Flowtek Customs in Mason Ohio did a fantastic job and deserves a little shout out.
Oh yea, it'll quiet down, that's what exhaust does over time. Nah JK, you'll get used to it so it might sound more quiet to you. But, a V-8 should sound like a V-8. It looks pretty darn good up in there. And I must say that's a pretty clean undercarriage there, especially for being from Ohio.
But I was wondering; Are the tailpipes up high enough, even cut up into the bumper, so they wont bottom out when you go in a dip of a driveway? I see all those scrapes on the bottom of the bumper.
Old 07-29-22, 02:07 PM
OnlinBirch
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
Oh yea, it'll quiet down, that's what exhaust does over time. Nah JK, you'll get used to it so it might sound more quiet to you. But, a V-8 should sound like a V-8. It looks pretty darn good up in there. And I must say that's a pretty clean undercarriage there, especially for being from Ohio.
But I was wondering; Are the tailpipes up high enough, even cut up into the bumper, so they wont bottom out when you go in a dip of a driveway? I see all those scrapes on the bottom of the bumper.
The cars actually from Kentucky but thanks, I knew when I saw her I found a good one.

As for the bumper, that's just dust from my dirt and rock driveway since its not actually paved, but the new pipes don't sit even a quarter inch lower then the original exhaust.
Old 07-29-22, 07:39 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 427 Likes on 334 Posts

I'd actually be worried about the tips causing issues with the bumper. It's unlikely to get hot enough to deform the plastic, but I can imagine over time the paint is going to discolor from the heat.

Enjoy! The motor sounds incredible once you open it up, it's one of the better sounding V8's out there. But I like my luxury a bit too much to even put a valved exhaust in mine. Enjoy her!
Old 07-29-22, 09:07 PM
OnlinBirch
Rookie

Honestly I felt the same way about the luxury aspect, thats why I had the resonators put in the center. But honestly once your at cruising its actually really quiet in the cabin! Tho Tyler (the guy who did the work) said It'd deepen in tone in the coming weeks so I'm hoping that'll quiet it down just a touch more.
Old 08-01-22, 09:50 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

very nice, i've never seen a true dual before. typically there would be an x-pipe or at least a h-pipe linking the two streams to help with scavenging. is there a reason for going the true dual route?
Old 08-01-22, 09:51 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
The motor sounds incredible once you open it up, it's one of the better sounding V8's out there.
some say the 1UZ has the same firing order as a mustang GT...i haven't been able to confirm this though.
Old 08-01-22, 11:26 AM
OnlinBirch
Rookie

I know it has the same firing order as some of the old Chrysler Hemi's
Old 08-02-22, 07:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

i'm just waiting for the videos

for many years now my car has had a simple axle-back muffler delete, still relatively quiet yet adds a nice little rumble at low rpms

next you need to look into the jbrady intake, that REALLY changes the tone of the intake and makes the higher rpms sound awesome (especially from inside the car)

The following users liked this post:
GrantLS400 (12-06-23)
Old 08-02-22, 10:58 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Every time I see these videos I'm just stunned by the commitment on just how this mother****er is shifting into FOURTH gear and still staying in it well beyond the camera. Commitment. A pet peeve of mine is where people lift off and\or shift right next to the camera and shut it down right away.

This being said - I know racing to 40 or 50 or whatever is one thing. And doing it in the dead of night helps. And I do some pretty silly things in cars myself. But sending it to 100+ on a road that tight is a bit uncomfortable for me looking at it from the internet. Please be safe out there folks.
Old 08-02-22, 11:23 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Every time I see these videos I'm just stunned by the commitment on just how this mother****er is shifting into FOURTH gear and still staying in it well beyond the camera. Commitment. A pet peeve of mine is where people lift off and\or shift right next to the camera and shut it down right away.
well i can understand there's "no justifying" such actions (however infrequent) to most people so i won't attempt to... but i will just say i appreciate that the pursuit of quality footage hasn't gone unnoticed haha
Old 08-03-22, 10:36 AM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

now where is the AMG?! haha
Old 08-03-22, 01:32 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
now where is the AMG?! haha
lol you know how to find my channel

it's on there...
Old 08-03-22, 04:29 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i can understand there's "no justifying" such actions (however infrequent) to most people so i won't attempt to... but i will just say i appreciate that the pursuit of quality footage hasn't gone unnoticed haha
All I have to say on this subject is try and find a more open road. One with less potential pullouts or cross traffic.

It's different for me since I can drive 30 minutes and be the only person within a 3 mile radius - and I'm pretty comfy doing these sorts of things in those places. Those in more densely populated areas it's a lot more difficult.
Old 08-05-22, 11:42 PM
OnlinBirch
Rookie

I've been wanting to do the JBrady intake but I don't want to butcher my own and mess it up, otherwise I'd of done it by now.

It's a great mod though from what I've heard!

Quick Reply: LS400 True Dual Exhaust