LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Everything Wrong with my 99 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 11:01 AM
shopvac1
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Everything Wrong with my 99 LS 400

This was discussed a small bit in my first post but I have decided to keep a list of everything that needs to be fixed here so I can update it, share progress, etc. (Also accountability as well. Plus who doesn't love watching a story unfold.)
My goal is to keep it as stock as possible and "restore and maintain" as much as I can (not that it needs a lot but since it is so close to perfect might as well) if I do add any mods they will only be easy ones to remove and return to stock (wheels, tints maybe, not even considering these until I have every mechanical issue fixed as those take priority). I will add more as I find more, but as of writing this all I know, (Some of these are nitpicky but hey might a well write it down).
Bold is priority
Here goes:

Exterior:
Small paint chips that can easily be fixed with paint touchup (found the original paint on rockauto)
Plastic chrome trim is peeling
Black metal trim is fading
Passenger side headlight assembly is yellow and faded (I think the UV coating is shot. I'll try to fix it or replace it)
Passenger side headlight assembly has moisture
Driver side headlight assembly needs adjusted

Driver side door seal needs cleaned or rubber needs restored
Moonroof rubber needs cleaned out
The multitude of small spots of tar on the front need removed (I was able to get some off but I suspect it needs a full polish at some point)
Wheels are faded or something either way would like to restore/replace

Interior:
Driver seat leather is very slightly cracked (I have a seat cover on that matches the leather so well no one has even noticed lol)

Mechanical:
6 CD player is whack (no idea why it doesn't work properly half the time)
Cassette player only works when the interior of the car is hot
Steering wheel adjusting system does not work
Tachometer is displays 900 rpm when the car is turned off
Speedometer sometimes doesn't work with intense rain
Very slow oil leak stemming from somewhere on the passenger side of the engine
Small leak in rear differential

Rumble when driving at 50-60 mph (no clue what the reason is)
Brakes started to squeal today rip
Old 07-30-22, 11:11 AM
CLLEXUSS
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Well, I was expecting worse, then read it and it doesn't seem that bad. How many miles are on it?
Old 07-30-22, 11:13 AM
shopvac1
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CLLEXUSS
Well, I was expecting worse, then read it and it doesn't seem that bad. How many miles are on it?
Exactly! I got a clean one that's why I want to get it to perfect because the condition is so good. As for miles its 255,600 give or take
Old 02-07-23, 10:12 AM
shopvac1
7th Gear

Coming back with the updates on this. Having now owned the LS for a few months now it has been great. Daily driving it brought out some mechanical concerns that have mostly been fixed or are in process of being fixed. Mostly wear items finally biting the dust but I'll go over what I got done on the original list and what has come up since. Met up with a local Lexus Club and have gained a lot of good information from them. Will add pictures later

Exterior:
(100% COMPLETED)Small paint chips that can easily be fixed with paint touchup (Completed with touchup and clearcoat)
(100% COMPLETED)Plastic chrome trim is peeling/fading (Temporary solution: touched up faded chrome areas with heavy duty chrome paint. Will source new trim.)
Black metal trim is fading
Passenger side headlight assembly is yellow and faded (I think the UV coating is shot. I'll try to fix it or replace it)
Passenger side headlight assembly has moisture
Driver side headlight assembly needs adjusted
Driver side door seal needs cleaned or rubber needs restored
Moonroof rubber needs cleaned out
The multitude of small spots of tar on the front need removed
(50% COMPLETED) Wheels are faded or something either way would like to restore/replace (Driver side wheels have been restored and polished. 50% done)

Interior:
Driver seat leather is very slightly cracked (seat cover on)
(NEW) Water getting into interior footwells of car in heavy rain (My guess is that a drain is clogged somewhere and need to be cleaned out. Haven't been able to find the drain ports yet so if someone can advise that would help. Until then using moisture absorbent to keep dry. Thankfully this issue has only happened twice)

Mechanical:
6 CD player (error when loading/playing some CDs. Still no official diagnosis. This issue doesn't always happen.)
Cassette player only works when the interior of the car is hot
Steering wheel adjusting system does not work
Tachometer is displays 900 rpm when the car is turned off
Speedometer sometimes doesn't work with intense rain
(50% COMPLETED) Very slow oil leak stemming from somewhere on the passenger side of the engine (determined that the valve cover gaskets needed replaced. Passenger side done and in process of replacing driver side. They had never been replaced and the factory torqued bolts had become finger tight. Awaiting arrival of new hoses on driver side as many are dry rotted and need replaced before I remove them to fix the gasket.)
(NEW/COMPLETED) Replaced spark plugs and coils. (Replaced while working on valve cover gaskets. Oil had spilled/leaked onto the spark plugs. This was cleaned and has not persisted since gasket replacement)
Small leak in rear differential
Rumble when driving at 50-60 mph (Transmission mount rubber is worn out. I am guessing this is the cause. Have replacement part ready to install.)
(NEW) Rough shifting from L-2-3 (Replaced transmission filter and pan gasket. No signs of metal shavings and new ATF has helped the rough shifts though still present)
Brakes (Pads replaced. Rotors ready to be installed)
(NEW/COMPLETED)
Dead battery (Replaced)
(NEW/COMPLETED) Power steering pump died, leaks killed alternator. (PSP and Alt replaced. PSP Hoses replaced. The original power steering pump vacuum control valve was broken in half. This was also replaced)

(NEW/COMPLETED) Coolant reservoir cap seal dry rotted and cracked (Replaced with new cap)
(NEW) Coolant level slowly going down (My thoughts are that the cap was letting it evaporate out but its still doing it after the replacement)

Thats the update. Done a ton of work and made good progress, but lots more to be done in the meantime. Still runs like a dream even with some new issues coming up. If anyone knows of common sources for some of these issues definetly let me know.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (02-08-23)