LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need help identifying Radiator part

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22 | 01:22 PM
lamb03
Rookie

Default Need help identifying Radiator part

Noticed 2 hoses were broke and the part looks pretty easy to replace if I just knew what it was, the hoses arent leaking fluid or anything so I guess it isn’t a big issue
This is bolted on top of a radiator hose

It has 2 connections that broke off

One connection goes to throttle body, other goes somewhere under the coolant intake?

While the car is running these hoses aren’t functioning, no suction or fluid in them
Old 08-23-22 | 02:03 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

I think that has something to do with the "cold start" signal. This is one reason you should always tell what year your car is cuz, although the engine is still a 1UZ, they're different between years. My 93 doesn't have that sensor like your 90 does. It gets hard to remember what year everyone's car is.
If you're gonna change that be VERY careful getting it out. Use PB Blaster on it before trying to remove it. I tried to change the sensor for the temp gauge on mine which is on the other side of that same crossover pipe, near the ECT sensor, and it snapped at the threads, inside the crossover. When I tried getting the broken part out, with an easy out, the whole side of the crossover pipe broke and the broken sensor piece fell into the engine. Long story short, if possible, I took off the crossover and removed that piece out of the engine. (I got very lucky) That was some MAJOR work and headaches. The crossover pipe is aluminum and the sensor is brass bottom and plastic top.

Off topic a bit but what color is the coolant in your overflow tank? Hard for me to tell but It looks empty but then again it looks over full.?????
Old 08-23-22 | 04:19 PM
lamb03
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark

Off topic a bit but what color is the coolant in your overflow tank? Hard for me to tell but It looks empty but then again it looks over full.?????
Ah I always forget, mine is a 1990, and I guess I got lucky with the temp sensor because it came out fine other than crumbling into a 100 pieces due to the age and giving me a check engine light, but my coolant just looks like water with a pink tint to it and it does look overfilled. I’ve really never touched the coolant system on this car so it for sure needs maintenance.
But I’m wondering how important this part is because there’s no fluid moving in those lines and I’ve been driving without it for a while
Edit: Those 3 lines on top of throttle body are labeled P R E , the P line is broken and I can’t find any good info anywhere

Last edited by lamb03; 08-23-22 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-23-22 | 05:10 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lamb03
Ah I always forget, mine is a 1990, and I guess I got lucky with the temp sensor because it came out fine other than crumbling into a 100 pieces due to the age and giving me a check engine light
my coolant just looks like water with a pink tint
never touched the coolant system on this car so it for sure needs maintenance.

Edit: Those 3 lines on top of throttle body are labeled P R E , the P line is broken and I can’t find info anywhere
I'm happy ya got it out and didn't have the problems I did. Ya mention a check engine light, what what the light for? What codes?
Yea those sensors, the ones attached to that crossover pipe, sure do crumble when they come out. Such as the ECT, gauge sensor, and the one ya took out, they all get corroded from being in there for 25-30+ years. Ya need to be careful installing them also. Just snug tight, do not put any torque onto them, or they will snap in half. They're only a thin piece of brass.
Your coolant should be the pink, for some reason it looks a bit black to me. If it's been a while you should at least do a drain and fill. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html
A flush is really up to you depending on how bad it is.
Old 08-23-22 | 05:28 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

But I’m wondering how important this part is because there’s no fluid moving in those lines and I’ve been driving without it for a while

That's a vacuum switching valve the hoses are broken off of, looks like vacuum control for the egr valve.
Old 08-23-22 | 09:28 PM
lamb03
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerf
That's a vacuum switching valve the hoses are broken off of, looks like vacuum control for the egr valve.
Awesome, I found a replacement part and some more info on it and it doesn’t seem too important I have worse issues

But my engine light is for code 22 Coolant temp sensor, after replacement I disconnected my battery to reset codes but still had code 22 probably because it’s a weird aftermarket part but I don’t think it’s hurting anything?
Old 08-24-22 | 06:04 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Awesome, I found a replacement part and some more info on it and it doesn’t seem too important I have worse issues

But my engine light is for code 22 Coolant temp sensor, after replacement I disconnected my battery to reset codes but still had code 22 probably because it’s a weird aftermarket part but I don’t think it’s hurting anything?
I guess I was wrong on what that broken piece was for, sort of. Like I said before, I don't have it on my 93 so I wasn't 100% sure. If it's there then it's there for a reason which must be important, or why would it even be there? There's so many vacuum lines on these it gets kinda crazy. I'm not a vacuum pro but I would think, if one of those vacuum lines goes to the throttle body, it probably opens the butterfly a touch when the engine is cold.
As for the code 22; The Engine Coolant Temp sensor is the most important sensor for the EFI system. It sends a signal to the ECU which decides how much fuel to use.
It was nice way back when engines had carburetors.