LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Locked my keys in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 11:11 AM
ACKerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Locked my keys in the trunk

I've almost done this several times in the 20 years I owned this car, but I finally did it today. I opened the trunk to get my tennis racket and must have set the keys down inside and then closed the lid.

I got a ride home with a friend to get my other set of keys. But is there anything I can do at the scene? This car is too old to have any kind of wireless access, so I don't think Lexus can do anything. What about AAA? Do they have any magic?

Thanks
Old 09-30-22, 11:26 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

AAA or a police officer would just go oldschool. Pry the door and coat-hanger the locks from the outside. A locksmith MIGHT be willing to pick the trunk key lock if you don't want to risk damage to the doorframe, but I'm not sure. And I guess it's theoretically possible to modify the trunk latch release system to have a physical button somewhere under the car that you've custom-added...

Cars are designed to be pretty secure unless you have the key lol.
The following users liked this post:
ACKerr (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 11:32 AM
ACKerr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
AAA or a police officer would just go oldschool. Pry the door and coat-hanger the locks from the outside. A locksmith MIGHT be willing to pick the trunk key lock if you don't want to risk damage to the doorframe, but I'm not sure. And I guess it's theoretically possible to modify the trunk latch release system to have a physical button somewhere under the car that you've custom-added...

Cars are designed to be pretty secure unless you have the key lol.
That's what I figured. (sigh) I think some of the newer cars that have wireless access to the manufacturer have ways to unlock the car.
Old 09-30-22, 11:37 AM
400fanboy
Racer

I'm not very familiar - but I don't think the manufacturer can just unlock things. MAYBE a dealer, at the dealer. But I'm not sure.

The closest parallel I know of is that they will have an app that turns your phone into a key. It uses bluetooth to connect locally and all you need is your phone. I don't know if you can just unlock the car with the app if you're not nearby or paired to the car beforehand.
Old 09-30-22, 11:43 AM
ACKerr
Driver School Candidate

I'm not very familiar - but I don't think the manufacturer can just unlock things. MAYBE a dealer, at the dealer. But I'm not sure.

The closest parallel I know of is that they will have an app that turns your phone into a key. It uses bluetooth to connect locally and all you need is your phone. I don't know if you can just unlock the car with the app if you're not nearby or paired to the car beforehand.
My wife's 2020 Lexus doesn't even use a key. She has a "key" that locks and unlocks the car wirelessly. She keeps it in her purse, so there is no key to leave anywhere. It automatically unlocks when she gets close to the car and locks when she walks away.
Old 09-30-22, 12:49 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

AAA or a police officer would just go oldschool. Pry the door and coat-hanger the locks from the outside. I guess it's theoretically possible to modify the trunk latch release system to have a physical button somewhere under the car that you've custom-added...
A custom button would be easy for someone to hook up. Just think of all the cars out there that have shaved door handles that have a button release under the fender or somewhere.
I think Ca. has the most custom car shops in the country. (I could be wrong)

Originally Posted by ACKerr
My wife's 2020 Lexus doesn't even use a key. She has a "key" that locks and unlocks the car wirelessly. She keeps it in her purse, so there is no key to leave anywhere. It automatically unlocks when she gets close to the car and locks when she walks away.
So if she forgets her purse in the car it stays unlocked? I wouldn't like that feature.
I do know what you're talking about with the manufacturer being able to unlock it wirelessly, you're thinking of something like *OnStar*. I've never heard of Lexus using that 20 years ago.
Old 09-30-22, 03:15 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Oh yeah every modern car has wireless key fobs that's just a hunk of plastic with no actual metal key. You just keep it in your pocket or purse.

So if she forgets her purse in the car it stays unlocked? I wouldn't like that feature.

I like it as a system, it works great. Keys always stay in my pocket, you just walk up to the car, it unlocks, you get in the car, push the button and go. I've spent a lot of time in cars with this system and I've perfectly adapted to it.

The purse isn't always attached to you like your pocket is - so yeah I can see that being significantly less convenient if they like to keep their keys in the purse vs. a pocket.
Old 09-30-22, 03:31 PM
ACKerr
Driver School Candidate

And it turned out that I did not lock the keys in the trunk. They must have slipped out of my bag. I found them along the side of the fence. (sigh)
400fanboy (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 09:16 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

--

Many times over the last 65 years I've locked myself out, one way or another, of my house, motor home, Jeep, truck, and various cars. I've always kept a key, or key box, hidden somewhere so I can get access if I can't locate my normal key. I even have a box hidden on my motorcycle and ATV!

For the Lexus, I have a key box hidden and secured from the weather and road splashes, that just contains the mechanical key so there is no transmitting to the lock or ignition. If locked out, I use that key to open the door or the trunk where I have a spare fob with the batteries pulled out. I like this as I always have a spare fob available if ever needed.

--
ACKerr (09-30-22)
Old 09-30-22, 09:21 PM
400fanboy
Racer

+1 on keeping spare keys stored someone in case you get locked out. Not everyone has that luxury (you live in some apartment high-rise) - but if you do, bury a key in the yard! Not under a rock next to the front door, put it in a zip-lock bag and pick a random spot.
Old 09-30-22, 09:26 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

+1 on keeping spare keys stored someone in case you get locked out. Not everyone has that luxury (you live in some apartment high-rise) - but if you do, bury a key in the yard! Not under a rock next to the front door, put it in a zip-lock bag and pick a random spot.
--

I have one key wrapped in plastic, in back, inside a phony sprinkler head in the grass. I also have a neighbor I trust who has a key for my front door. I suppose in some places, you might be able to leave a key with an office that keeps a locked keyboard. My mobile home resort used to have one of those.

--

Last edited by ronkelley; 09-30-22 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-30-22, 10:54 PM
ACKerr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ronkelley
--

Many times over the last 65 years I've locked myself out, one way or another, of my house, motor home, Jeep, truck, and various cars. I've always kept a key, or key box, hidden somewhere so I can get access if I can't locate my normal key. I even have a box hidden on my motorcycle and ATV!

For the Lexus, I have a key box hidden and secured from the weather and road splashes, that just contains the mechanical key so there is no transmitting to the lock or ignition. If locked out, I use that key to open the door or the trunk where I have a spare fob with the batteries pulled out. I like this as I always have a spare fob available if ever needed.
I like this idea. Where would be a good place to hide a key in my LS 400? I can do that while I am looking for the connector to the window wash fluid sensor so I can disconnect it. Is there a place I can tuck it or tie it or stuff it so that it won't fall off if I go over a bump?

Thanks
Old 09-30-22, 11:48 PM
ronkelley
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACKerr
I like this idea. Where would be a good place to hide a key in my LS 400? I can do that while I am looking for the connector to the window wash fluid sensor so I can disconnect it. Is there a place I can tuck it or tie it or stuff it so that it won't fall off if I go over a bump?

Thanks
--

It's hard to find a place that's not plastic that you can get to without crawling under the car. I took a magnetic box, glued an extra magnet to the bottom, wrapped it in plastic, then put it on top of the left front shock mount. It never moves and can't be seen unless you get down real low or remove the tire. Even then, it blends in with the background well enough so it's not noticeable even when looking at it. It just looks like the top of the tower. To reach it or check it to see if it's still there (which you will do a number of times until you realize it's not going anywhere. ), just reach over the top of the tire to feel the plastic.

This would probably work for all models, I should think.

CAUTION: your arm and hand will get dirty from the top of the tire and plastic until you have faith and quit checking.

--
Old 10-01-22, 09:52 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

--I have one key wrapped in plastic, in back, inside a phony sprinkler head in the grass. -
--
then put it on top of the left front shock mount. just reach over the top of the tire to feel the plastic.
You just told a million people where you keep all your spare keys.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-...1327/100162156 These work great, had one on all my cars and never had the magnet fail. Not my Lexus though, I only have the one key now. If I lose it I'm screwed.
Old 10-01-22, 10:42 AM
ronkelley
Instructor

Originally Posted by deanshark
You just told a million people where you keep all your spare keys.

--
That may be, but:
1. How many will care?
2. How many will do anything?
3. How many know where I live?
4. How many know what my car looks like?
5. How many will have the opportunity?
6. My car is always garaged when not being used.
7. My car is not a frequently stolen car.
8. An amateur would just break my driver's window glass.
9. A professional would use an electronic key bypass (?) off my fob which is unprotected while being carried. Or:
10. A professional gang would just hook up a tow truck.
11. I don't live in a high vehicle theft area.
12. I have insurance.
So, what is the chance of being stolen compared to the chance that I can help other Lexus owners? As to the house, all a burglar has to do (when I'm not here) is break a window to get in anyway.

--

ACKerr (10-19-22)

Quick Reply: Locked my keys in the trunk