LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bluetooth adapters that plug into the cigarette lighter outlet

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 12:52 PM
ACKerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth adapters that plug into the cigarette lighter outlet

An article in the local paper recommended this gadget. If I understand it correctly, it will allow me to answer my iPhone hands free and can also transmit music from my phone to the radio.

Amazon.com: Nulaxy Wireless in-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit W 1.44 Inch Display Supports TF/SD Card and USB Car Charger for All Smartphones Audio Players-KM18 : Electronics Amazon.com: Nulaxy Wireless in-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit W 1.44 Inch Display Supports TF/SD Card and USB Car Charger for All Smartphones Audio Players-KM18 : Electronics

Does anyone have any experience with this device? Is there something else that is better?

Thanks
Old 10-19-22, 02:57 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

On road trips they can be annoying as you'll have to frequency hop a lot to be able to find clean channels. But if you stay in the same general area generally you set it & forget it. Audio quality is fine, nothing to run home about but fine.

As far as I'm aware, there are no "good" quality devices. They're all cheapo Chinese junk. Some models when paired with some phones may or may not give weird bluetooth problems with random disconnections for no reason. But modern cars with expensive infotainments also do that so what can you do.

They get the job done for a couple bucks which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a head unit or full audio system.
The following 2 users liked this post by 400fanboy:
ACKerr (10-19-22), joetee (11-09-22)
Old 10-19-22, 03:11 PM
ACKerr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
On road trips they can be annoying as you'll have to frequency hop a lot to be able to find clean channels. But if you stay in the same general area generally you set it & forget it.
I'll probably use it primarily to answer phone calls hands free. I mostly listen to NPR.

Audio quality is fine, nothing to run home about but fine.
Did you mean, nothing to write home about? 😉

As far as I'm aware, there are no "good" quality devices. They're all cheapo Chinese junk. Some models when paired with some phones may or may not give weird bluetooth problems with random disconnections for no reason. But modern cars with expensive infotainments also do that so what can you do.

They get the job done for a couple bucks which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a head unit or full audio system.
I'll do a little more research, but will probably try one at some point.

Thanks
Old 10-19-22, 03:34 PM
timmy0tool

Received 427 Likes on 381 Posts

i use something similar and it works fine for my needs which are just to stream my own music/podcasts. sound quality isn't the best and the volume output is low - at least on my model so read the reviews.
i don't use the hands-free feature as it uses your phone's microphone which i usually keep in the cupholder so i would have to hold it anyway for the other party to hear me defeating the hands-free purpose.

it sure does beat hardwiring an aux cord or buying a capable aftermarket headunit.
The following users liked this post:
ACKerr (10-19-22)
Old 10-19-22, 04:10 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 424 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by ACKerr
I'll do a little more research, but will probably try one at some point.

Thanks
Yeah in my experience, you just have to blind-fire until you find something that works with your specific setup without problems. I've had good luck on my Samsung with the standard one I found in a Walmart, put it in a friends car and had no problems for a week long road trip.

I would recommend buying them from a physical store, keeping the receipt, and if it doesn't work or gives weird issues just return it. A lot easier than Amazon.
Old 10-19-22, 04:38 PM
ACKerr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
I would recommend buying them from a physical store, keeping the receipt, and if it doesn't work or gives weird issues just return it. A lot easier than Amazon.
Huh? Returning stuff on Amazon is way easier than any physical store.
Old 10-24-22, 07:06 AM
alfin
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ACKerr
An article in the local paper recommended this gadget. If I understand it correctly, it will allow me to answer my iPhone hands free and can also transmit music from my phone to the radio.

Amazon.com: Nulaxy Wireless in-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter Radio Adapter Car Kit W 1.44 Inch Display Supports TF/SD Card and USB Car Charger for All Smartphones Audio Players-KM18 : Electronics

Does anyone have any experience with this device? Is there something else that is better?

Thanks
Yes, I've been using that product for the past two years, and I love it! It works very well for taking hands-free phone calls, but I use it mainly for listening to music off my smartphone.apps such as youtube etc. The only tricky part is setting a dedicated Bluetooth station on your FM dial because most of the empty frequencies come with static. I finally found one that works very well in most locations in my area with a few exceptions. Good luck!