LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Best Way to Check Timing Belt? 95 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-22, 07:04 AM
as99east
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Best Way to Check Timing Belt? 95 LS400

For a 1995 LS400, does anyone have thoughts / tips on best way to check condition of the timing belt with minimal taking apart of the engine?

I am at 127k miles with original belt I fear, and know I’m on borrowed time / risk trashing the engine longer this goes on.

Dealer I think didn’t want to be bothered as I think it’s the classic they worry that once they start opening things up, old gaskets and pieces may break or be hard to take off.

Again just trying to get a peek to see how bad situation is. If I do keep this car for a while this repair will get done one way or the other.

Thanks and sorry if already answered, I did try to do some searching.
Old 10-26-22, 10:31 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by as99east
For a 1995 LS400, does anyone have thoughts / tips on best way to check condition of the timing belt with minimal taking apart of the engine?

I am at 127k miles with original belt I fear, and know I’m on borrowed time / risk trashing the engine longer this goes on.

Dealer I think didn’t want to be bothered as I think it’s the classic they worry that once they start opening things up, old gaskets and pieces may break or be hard to take off.

Again just trying to get a peek to see how bad situation is. If I do keep this car for a while this repair will get done one way or the other.

Thanks and sorry if already answered, I did try to do some searching.
It's probably going to snap tomorrow, since its well over 25 years old, so what's the point of trying to waste time inspecting it, when an hour or two more you can have it changed out? I pushed mine from June 2005 to Nov 2021 (16 yrs) and about 70k and the OE belt was done at the dealer looked new still but I live in AZ now so I didn't want to risk it since rubber doesn't last here.

You'll also want to do your crankshaft seal since that will likely be seeping/wet at this point. My other LS went at 253k on my 97' in 2015 and coated the T belt in oil prematurely before the 90k interval at 50k, so I had to do the job early.
Old 10-26-22, 11:30 AM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
It's probably going to snap tomorrow, since its well over 25 years old, so what's the point of trying to waste time inspecting it, when an hour or two more you can have it changed out? I pushed mine from June 2005 to Nov 2021 (16 yrs) and about 70k and the OE belt was done at the dealer looked new still but I live in AZ now so I didn't want to risk it since rubber doesn't last here.

You'll also want to do your crankshaft seal since that will likely be seeping/wet at this point. My other LS went at 253k on my 97' in 2015 and coated the T belt in oil prematurely before the 90k interval at 50k, so I had to do the job early.
Agree 100%
Even if you remove a timing cove and discover a belt that appears healthy you still have no knowledge what condition the idler bearings are in.
Change it.
Old 10-26-22, 12:31 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 421 Likes on 328 Posts

Not to mention other parts like the water pump, which typically are only replaced as part of the timing kit, also being that old....

I'm with the others, not worth the risk. Your engine is an interference engine, if the belt snaps, it will take the engine with it. Which probably will write-off the entire car - and no, insurance won't cover that.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 10-26-22 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-26-22, 12:33 PM
as99east
Pit Crew

Thanks everyone. I guess I have my answer!!
Old 10-26-22, 02:44 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Replace ALL associated hardware.

1997 Toyota Corolla - 3 month old timing belt after tensoner seized. Tensioner was NOT replaced at time of belt replacement.

Old 10-27-22, 10:40 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by as99east
Thanks everyone. I guess I have my answer!!
Aisin makes the best timing belt kits and can be found at RockAuto for a reasonable price. Comes with everything needed except for the crankshaft seal, which I would only get at a dealer, not worth saving a couple parts for a critical seal. Also, the 95-97s are pretty easy to do Camshaft seals on, I would do those too due to age. 98-00s are very labor intensive for cam seals, something like 10 hrs, since the camshafts have to come out so don't bother with those unless they're visibly leaking.
The following users liked this post:
400fanboy (10-27-22)
Old 10-27-22, 01:08 PM
as99east
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
Aisin makes the best timing belt kits and can be found at RockAuto for a reasonable price. Comes with everything needed except for the crankshaft seal, which I would only get at a dealer, not worth saving a couple parts for a critical seal. Also, the 95-97s are pretty easy to do Camshaft seals on, I would do those too due to age. 98-00s are very labor intensive for cam seals, something like 10 hrs, since the camshafts have to come out so don't bother with those unless they're visibly leaking.
Thank you, I appreciate all these tips. It really helps someone like myself with an inclination to learn more but very little experience. Well without a ton of effort I was able to get driver side timing belt cover off for a peek. I know this is only a segment of the belt but here’s how it’s looking, sorry lighting isn’t amazing

Old 10-27-22, 01:41 PM
bradland

Received 668 Likes on 545 Posts

Belt looks ok but as mentioned before there are other parts involved that will take out even a brand new belt if/when they fail.
These bearings have approx 165K miles on them...

Old 10-27-22, 02:11 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Can't really tell much with that pic of the belt except there's alot of dirt and grime in there. It's supposed to be completely sealed up so nothing gets in. It could be from an slight leak in the cam seal.
If you're gonna be keeping the car I would put the T-belt job on the list of things to do soon. Although the belt doesn't look too bad, it's all the other stuff that can go bad and cause some major damage. When I looked at my T-belt (same way you did) the belt looked fine. I was just gonna leave everything alone cuz mine is non-interference engine. (93) But I needed to take it all out for a different repair and what I found was alot of junk parts that were about to fail. The tensioner and idler bearings were very noisy, all rusted and ready to seize, (looked worse then the pic bradland posted) and the water pump just looked like garbage. All was original and only 85K miles but still no good cuz of age. (30 years)

Rockauto has a good Aisin kit for a good price; https://www.rockauto.com/en/cart/
This kit TKT-030 comes with the hydraulic tensioner, the other one TKT-010 doesn't. You'd still have to get the cam and crank seals, Thermostat and gasket, coolant, oil, and some FIPG (form in place gasket) if ya don't have any. It's a good sized job and the $$$ adds up quick, but well worth the piece of mind if you're gonna keep it for a while.
Old 10-28-22, 09:37 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by deanshark
Can't really tell much with that pic of the belt except there's alot of dirt and grime in there. It's supposed to be completely sealed up so nothing gets in. It could be from an slight leak in the cam seal.
If you're gonna be keeping the car I would put the T-belt job on the list of things to do soon. Although the belt doesn't look too bad, it's all the other stuff that can go bad and cause some major damage. When I looked at my T-belt (same way you did) the belt looked fine. I was just gonna leave everything alone cuz mine is non-interference engine. (93) But I needed to take it all out for a different repair and what I found was alot of junk parts that were about to fail. The tensioner and idler bearings were very noisy, all rusted and ready to seize, (looked worse then the pic bradland posted) and the water pump just looked like garbage. All was original and only 85K miles but still no good cuz of age. (30 years)

Rockauto has a good Aisin kit for a good price; https://www.rockauto.com/en/cart/
This kit TKT-030 comes with the hydraulic tensioner, the other one TKT-010 doesn't. You'd still have to get the cam and crank seals, Thermostat and gasket, coolant, oil, and some FIPG (form in place gasket) if ya don't have any. It's a good sized job and the $$$ adds up quick, but well worth the piece of mind if you're gonna keep it for a while.
yeah I want to also recommend the thermostat. On my 162k mile engine, the center gasket was torn and lodged in between where the plunger goes up and down, allowing it to not fully close. Which explained why it took forever to get warm on some cold days. Anything that has rubber, you should consider replacing or regasketing at this point if original. A new Thermostat from Toyota was about $25 and another $4 for the gasket. And only use the Red Coolant, not the newer stuff.
Old 10-31-22, 09:37 AM
timmy0tool

Received 421 Likes on 375 Posts

your belt actually looks fine, but you are still on borrowed time so plan to get it replaced shortly. rubber deterioration depends not only on mileage but in ambient temps, and driving habit. 100k of city driving will vastly age the belt versus 100k of highway driving!

my belt at 131k had visible cracks on the surface, but i predict it won't fail. as mentioned before, it's the idler and tensioner bearings that can fail and seize too which will take out belt - even a new one!

Old 11-01-22, 05:34 PM
Landark
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I got my '95 Celsior in August and immediately ordered the parts needed for a timing belt service plus other things I figured needed done while there. There was no service history for it and I was unwilling to take any chances.
You didn't ask but I'll give you a list of what I got in case you find it helpful. I ordered everything from RockAuto. In all it cost about $500 in parts with shipping and then $1,820 for the labor to have a shop do it.

Timing belt Kit - AISIN TKT030
Includes the belt, water pump, tensioner, and gaskets

Timing cover gasket

Camshaft seal

Crankshaft seal set

Accessory belt and tensioner kit - GATES 90K39080
Also includes the pulley

Upper and lower radiator hoses

Thermostat, thermostat housing gasket, radiator cap

3 gallons of premixed coolant

It's also a good idea to do the spark plugs while it's apart, I didn't but plan on doing them in the next year. And, typically I will replace the radiator when I do a timing belt service since removing it will give better working room and while it's out, dropping in a new one won't take any extra time. I didn't this time since the one in it was in very good condition.

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Landark:
as99east (11-02-22), joetee (11-09-22)
Old 11-01-22, 07:33 PM
as99east
Pit Crew

Thanks everyone this is all super helpful.
Old 11-02-22, 09:24 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Landark
And, typically I will replace the radiator when I do a timing belt service since removing it will give better working room and while it's out, dropping in a new one won't take any extra time. I didn't this time since the one in it was in very good condition.

Good luck!
Everyone has their own list of parts to get but I don't see the point of changing a radiator "just cuz you're there". That's just throwing money at something not needed now, or maybe even never. All the time I've been here I've only seen a couple bad radiators. But hey, "to each his own". I don't even take mine out when doing the T-belt job.
The following users liked this post:
joetee (11-09-22)

Quick Reply: Best Way to Check Timing Belt? 95 LS400