LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stereo Question - Restoring to Stock

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-22, 01:12 PM
as99east
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Stereo Question - Restoring to Stock

Hello,

The original owner of my 95 LS had an aftermarket radio unit put in, but I am contemplating taking it back to stock since the CD changer still seems to work and all I do in the car is listen to CDs anyway. In any event … I have no idea whether original unit was the Nakamichi version or not. If I go back to stock does it matter whether I match original as far as if I put in non-Nakamichi and it was originally Nakamichi is that a problem and Vice versa or are they simply interchangeable? Thanks for entertaining the random question.
Old 10-31-22, 01:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,908 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Look at the connectors going to the amp if Nakamichi they will match this.

Stereo Question - Restoring to Stock-ylkds5o.jpg
Old 11-01-22, 08:07 AM
as99east
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Look at the connectors going to the amp if Nakamichi they will match this.

thank you. I am trying to get to amp that I understand is below passenger seat but I can’t get past this plastic cover. Any idea how to get it off? I am not seeing any visible screws or clips and don’t want to pull it too hard… thank you

Old 11-01-22, 12:14 PM
as99east
Pit Crew

Never mind I got it off - so looks like it was originally Pioneer then? Thanks!!

Old 11-01-22, 12:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,908 Likes on 2,453 Posts

Must be, no heat sink on the outer shell. Where are the connectors?
Old 11-01-22, 02:41 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

yea you will need to match nak for nak or pioneer for pioneer; they do not interchange.
Old 11-01-22, 07:46 PM
as99east
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Must be, no heat sink on the outer shell. Where are the connectors?
Connectors are not pictured and unplugged and to the side (I did not unplug them that’s how I found them.) Prior owner had an aftermarket unit put in. Nothing crazy or pimped out (older gentleman) and it works perfectly fine and sounds fine but I hate how it looks (to me kind of ruins aesthetic of the car) I guess he was using a different amp he had installed. I know next to nothing about this stuff so I am going to have to figure out what was done. There’s also a random DVD player hanging out mounted in the trunk and some weird wiring. May have a professional take a look. It’s probably stupid I guess to go back to OEM as I will have to buy a used stereo unit which may soon deteriorate anyway due to age…I guess I am just into keeping things stock. Anyway first things first I am getting new tires on Friday. I think current ones on the car are from 2011, or at least the front ones are
Old 11-01-22, 08:44 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 330 Posts

Oh dear - yes get new tires. It does not matter how much tread is left, they are unsafe to use.

6 years is the soft limit, by year 7 they need to be off the car. Anything beyond that is increasingly unsafe. I cringe every time I see collector cars with 10, 15 year old tires from the 2000's.

For what it's worth on your project with the audio, I would consider keeping or perhaps updating the currently installed system since having hands free functionality added to the car really is a nice thing to have.
Old 11-02-22, 03:19 AM
as99east
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
Oh dear - yes get new tires. It does not matter how much tread is left, they are unsafe to use.

6 years is the soft limit, by year 7 they need to be off the car. Anything beyond that is increasingly unsafe. I cringe every time I see collector cars with 10, 15 year old tires from the 2000's.

For what it's worth on your project with the audio, I would consider keeping or perhaps updating the currently installed system since having hands free functionality added to the car really is a nice thing to have.
All makes sense thanks. Well, even if prior owner skimped on tires and put off the timing belt, at least he seems to have regularly changed oil and not beat the crap out of the tranny. You are probably right about not moving backwards with the technology. The one thing I think I have deduced is at speed sometimes there is an annoying plastic squeaking sound coming from the radio / climate control area and I believe now it is being produced by the after market unit. For now I’ve jammed in a piece of paper folded over a bunch of times kind of like with a rocking table at a restaurant and it seems to have done the trick for now.

This is supposed to be my second car when my wife has our primary car (a 2019 with only 25k miles) but for some reason I find myself wanting to drive this LS more. I am often looking for excuses to take it out. The 2019 we have is pound for pound a faster, more fuel efficient car but this LS just has a certain personality, I guess I am drawn to these cars.
Old 11-02-22, 08:55 AM
400fanboy
Racer

If it's a new car then yeah give it some time to get used to it. I hate the head unit I have in my car, the volume *** sucks. But I live with it because the alternative is no bluetooth which for calls & music is a must-have for me. Hands free is such an important thing to have access to.

However, you did say you only listen to CD's so that does change this equation on whether it's worth it for you. I can't answer that.

I'm not an audio person - but my understanding for my car is they completely bypassed the stock audio system and there more or less is a separate independent audio system running off of my head unit.

It is far easier to trade head units for you now to find one that doesn't make noise or has a better feeling interface. Going back to stock would require un-doing all of the work done by the previous owner, which may be substantial depending on how they went about things. Are the original wires still there? Did they replace speakers? Do you still have the factory radio and other hardware?

Last edited by 400fanboy; 11-02-22 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-02-22, 09:41 AM
as99east
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 400fanboy
If it's a new car then yeah give it some time to get used to it. I hate the head unit I have in my car, the volume *** sucks. But I live with it because the alternative is no bluetooth which for calls & music is a must-have for me. Hands free is such an important thing to have access to.

However, you did say you only listen to CD's so that does change this equation on whether it's worth it for you. I can't answer that.

I'm not an audio person - but my understanding for my car is they completely bypassed the stock audio system and there more or less is a separate independent audio system running off of my head unit.

It is far easier to trade head units for you now to find one that doesn't make noise or has a better feeling interface. Going back to stock would require un-doing all of the work done by the previous owner, which may be substantial depending on how they went about things. Are the original wires still there? Did they replace speakers? Do you still have the factory radio and other hardware?
All makes sense thanks you. That is exactly what my rational brain is telling me. Whatever black magic they had to do in order to get a more modern head unit in the car and sounding good, and this included they wired the car for Sirius XM, don’t try reverse it, just get something that is not tacky looking. As I could go through a lot of trouble and expense and due to age or damage it might still sound like dog sh-t. And no I think he just tossed the original factory unit. I actually think a nice touch screen display could be more consistent with the car’s overall aesthetic.
Old 11-02-22, 01:07 PM
400fanboy
Racer

I think the stock system sounds fantastic, even the pioneer unit, so I don't think that's the risk.

What's the saying... if it ain't broke, don't **** with it? lol.
Old 11-06-22, 01:43 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by as99east
I actually think a nice touch screen display could be more consistent with the car’s overall aesthetic.
I don't ...