LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90-94 LS400 Front Control Arm Bushings Available

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 03:36 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They should not be uncomfortable...I'd intall them but my car is not here
Old 11-19-03, 03:00 PM
Maeve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Retrodrive,
How difficult is it to install them?

Thanks,

~Dom~

Last edited by LS400Dom; 11-19-03 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-20-03, 03:37 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

I really would not know till I actually have them on my car. You know my situation man.
Old 11-21-03, 06:56 AM
clark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced upper bushings with Daizen

I recently installed the Daizen bushings on both upper control arms to my 1990 LS400. Didn't notice any difference in ride quality concerning any harshness. I can tell you that the old bushings were very loose and sloppy and the new bushings were obviously needed.

It was a very straight forward job. I just followed the procedure in the service manual. You do need a gear puller to pop the upper ball joint from the steering knuckle assembly.

Getting the old bushings out provided the biggest challenge. We ended up using an air chisel pressing on the lip of the old bushing. It took us about 10 minutes per arm to force them out. I wasn't sure if there was any taper to the old bushings. In retrospect, if there is no taper then you could just grind off the outside lip of the old bushing and then press the bushing through from the outside of the arm.

Once I get new ball joints in for the lower control arms, I will then tackle the bushings for the lower control arm and provide feedback.

Regards,
Terry in VA Beach
Old 11-21-03, 08:02 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

what is your setup currently on your LS? Are you running 18's and have lowering springs, just so we have an idea of what you started before the bushings
Old 11-21-03, 08:25 AM
Lvangundy

Doublewooosh -

C'mon man, you know hook it up with the control arms man you know what I'm sayin?!

I heard on the internet that these make your car Handle Better but then I also heard they are uncomfortable to install but it also makes the Ride Like New.

I say we do group by like all the other stuffs on the internet so we can get big discount and save us monies!! Cmon doublewhoosh give us the group by!!
Old 11-21-03, 09:17 AM
tvd51
Driver

Lexus dealer in Santa Clara (Stevens Creek Lexus) told me that the Daizen control arm bushings cost $134.
DoubleWhoosh: where did you buy for $99.99 ?
Retrodrive: How much did you pay for yours ?
Thanks.
tvd51
Old 11-21-03, 10:07 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

here is the link for $99:
http://www.tmengineering.net/suspens...n/make/ls.html
Old 11-21-03, 10:16 AM
tvd51
Driver

Thanks, retrodrive.
Unfortunately, they don't ship to Canada.
tvd51
Old 11-21-03, 10:24 AM
clark
Driver School Candidate

In replacing my upper control arm bushings with Daizen bushings on my 1990 LS400, as far as I can tell all it did was take out any slop of my old worn OEM bushings. All the bushings do is provide a pivot point for the control arms. It won't change the geometry of your front end at all. The car still sits the same. I am still using my original front wheels and springs. If I wanted it to sit lower, then I would install different springs. I like the ride the way it is so I will keep what I have for now.
Old 11-21-03, 01:22 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by clark
In replacing my upper control arm bushings with Daizen bushings on my 1990 LS400, as far as I can tell all it did was take out any slop of my old worn OEM bushings. All the bushings do is provide a pivot point for the control arms. It won't change the geometry of your front end at all. The car still sits the same. I am still using my original front wheels and springs. If I wanted it to sit lower, then I would install different springs. I like the ride the way it is so I will keep what I have for now.
i think that is the best way to do it.. teh car already doesnt ride the same when you lower and throw on bigger wheels. add a hard tire and you got yourself quite a different ride.. use plastic for those control arm bushings, and then you might feel something you dont like.. its all a matter of perference
Old 11-21-03, 05:37 PM
GA400
Lead Lap

Originally posted by clark
Clark,

Thanks for your feedback on the ride quality, etc.
Old 12-15-03, 09:35 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tvd51
Lexus dealer in Santa Clara (Stevens Creek Lexus) told me that the Daizen control arm bushings cost $134.
DoubleWhoosh: where did you buy for $99.99 ?
Retrodrive: How much did you pay for yours ?
Thanks.
tvd51
tvd51, I think DoubleWhoosh sells them, Stevens Creek Lexus Sell them for more because that's their profit.
Old 01-06-04, 05:15 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally posted by tvd51
Hi everyone,
I'm in BC, Canada and I wonder how I can order Daizen control arm bushings. My local Lexus dealer told me that they only sold bushings for the lower control arms. The upper control arms are sold as one piece which includes the control arm, bushings and ball joint for USD 390/each for the front and USD 180/each for the rear.
Any information on how to order those bushings from Canada would be appreciated. Thanks.
tvd51
tvd51,
You are saying you can get bushings for lower control arms???
Are you sure? I was under the impression that they also come with the entire control arm.
Old 01-06-04, 05:19 PM
tvd51
Driver

Yes, Rice. Lexus in Canada sells bushings & ball joints for lower control arms separately. I just replaced my lower ball joints (CAD 145 each pus labor) two weeks ago.
tvd51

Quick Reply: 90-94 LS400 Front Control Arm Bushings Available