LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Bluetooth Questions and Answers

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-03, 01:50 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Questions and Answers

I pulled this off the Lexus Dealer website....

1. Is a charging cradle available? What models?

There is currently no charging cradle available for the Bluetooth phones. The Nokia cradle system, currently available on the 2003/2004 SC and GS does have charging capabilities for the handset.

2. Can a dealer inventory handsets purchased from Let's Talk, prior to the sale of the vehicle, and activate with a service in the customer's name at the time of purchase?

There is currrently no provision for stocking handsets at the dealership and then activating them at a later date. One of the advantages of the Let's Talk for Lexus website is that it takes the necessity to stock away from dealers. By using this site dealers can easily help the customer determine wireless coverage in their area, choose a carrier, and get the activated handset delivered within 1 to 2 days.

3. Can a customer buy any Bluetooth handset retail and have it work/transfer to our system?

Because Bluetooth has a universal standard developed a consortium of interested companies, any Bluetooth handset will work in our vehicles. However, it is still unclear that all Bluetooth handsets will have the same performance when interfacing with the Bluetooth chip in our vehicles. That is why Lexus is evaluating all Bluetooth handsets before certifying/making them availabel on the website.

4.How do I know what telephone services are available in my area?

All service providers have coverage maps that are available on the Let's Talk for Lexus website. They can be accessed by goiong to the selected service provider and clicking on it.

5. Can a customer transfer his current phone number to a new phone?

Yes. Customers can purchase a new handset without a plan on the website and get it activated with the existing phone number. however, the handset will cost more because the handsets are typically subsidized by the service providers when they sign up for a new plan. It should be noted that on GSM handsets a customer only need to move the SIM card from the old handset tot he new handset to properly activate the handset.

6. Will there be a CDMA phone available?

We are planning a Bluetooth CDMA phone soon. The Sony Ericsson T608 is a CDMA handset that will be offerred by Sprint. We don't anticipate that Verizon (another CDMA provider) will offer a Bluetooth handset until 2004.

7. How will I know when phones are added or deleted from the certified list of compatible phones?

The co-branded website will be the best source of knowing which handsets will be avilable. As soon as Lexus authorizes a new handset we will notify Let's Talk and they will include it on the website.

8. Why are we selling obsolete phones?

The older handsets that are currently on the site (6310i and T68i) are there only to provide access to service providers that otherwise would have not indicated on the attatched chart. In the future, when more Bluetooth handsets are available, this will not be necessary.

AT&T - Nokia 6310i or Sony Ericsson T68i (national coverage)
Cingular - Nokia 6310i (west coast only)
T Mobile - Sony Ericsson T610 (national coverage)
Verizon - N/A
Nextel - N/A

It should be noted that the 6310i is also on the site to support the Nokia cradle system. It is only the handset that works with the syustem. Also, the T68i is no longer avilable.

9. Where do I go on the internet to qualify/sign up a customer for a Bluetooth phone?

Lexus dealers need to go through the Dealer Daily Site and access parts and service section where you simply click on the Let's Talk button.

10. Where can I find instructions on pairing the phone to the navigation?

These instructions will be in the following locations:
All handset boxes delivered by Let's Talk
on the Lets Talk for Lexus website

11. If a vehicle is not equipped with navigation, is there a phone system available?

Listed below are the only vehicle mobile phone systems available with 2004 Lexus vehicles.
LS and LX - Bluetooth - yes
SC and GS - Nokia Cradle System - no

12. Is the website information alwats correct?

We will endeavor to ensure that the website is correct at all times. However, there is some content that is not in our control, such as coverage maps that are provided by the service providers.

(Whew!)
I hope this will help answer many of your questions regarding the Bluetooth technology!

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 10-26-03 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-26-03, 10:35 AM
klausl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info - what is the url of the Lets talk for Lexus site?

Cheers
Klaus
Old 10-26-03, 01:01 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Question

What's url stand for??? Let's Talk and Dealer Daily are only accessible by your local Lexus dealer. I just posted this so consumers understand the phone order/install process. There's nothing worse than being in the dark about stuff and just waiting by on blind faith. So if you are buying/leasing a new LS430 and you are getting a Bluetooth phone, then you know what to expect beforehand.

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 10-26-03 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-26-03, 05:01 PM
sidgriggs
Driver

Default Bluetooth

I picked-up my Black/Black, Modern Lux, Smart yesterday at Park Place in Plano and have been transfering the phone book from my 6310i, but have a question. Can I enter a number & name directly into the Nav phone book--I see that I can put a received call into the one-touch book--but how to I type a name to go along with the # ?