LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Factory alarm doesn't work need help on what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 09:34 PM
Lowlyfe123
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory alarm doesn't work need help on what to do.

First time post. Long story short I just bought a nice low mileage 98 Ls400 and when testing the alarm function with the key, notta, nothing. It is the factory fob not sure if original though but it locks and unlocks the door accompanied with an audible sound letting you know. I rolled the window down, locked the door and then opened it but nothing. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-16-23, 10:32 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Not sure what you mean, does the system work or not?

Those cars didn't come with the Immobilizer system, the alarm is there just to prevent the doors from being opened. If when the doors are locked you unlock it with the lever on the handle an nothing happens, it may be that the system is disabled, there is a button somewhere under the steering wheel that disables the alarm function, an exact year of your car is needed to provide a more accurate answer.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 02-16-23, 10:55 PM
Lowlyfe123
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a 98 and the alarm doesn't work. The security light blinks but nothing happens. The test I did was lower the window, hit the lock button on the fob and then pull the inside door lever to open. Nothing happened.
Old 02-17-23, 06:22 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowlyfe123
It's a 98 and the alarm doesn't work. The security light blinks but nothing happens. The test I did was lower the window, hit the lock button on the fob and then pull the inside door lever to open. Nothing happened.
Did you actually open the door?

I thought you have a much older car, a 1998 model will already have an immobilizer, and that light on the dash you are referring to is for a said immobilizer system, blinking means tat there is no key detected in the lock, not that the alarm system is armed.

Those cars don't have a way to track the position of the lock as far as I can tell, only the key tumbler, so you do need to actually open the door to trip the alarm. Just to make sure, to turn off the alarm you will have to put the key in the ON position.

I am frankly not too sure how is that a bad thing, considering that it's an older car, nobody is going to steal it or anything, that's about time when all those security measures start to become a lot more of a burden than a useful feature.

Hope this helps and best of luck!