LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ticking valve after being parked

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-23 | 07:41 AM
GeenIdee
Driver

Default ticking valve after being parked

Hey guys,

My '99 LS has been parked for a week or so, and on start up there is one or two valves that are ticking. I thought, well a lifter probable bled out and it should be fine. But then I remembered that these things don't have hydraulic lifters...

I am not yet able to wrap my head around the fact that it started ticking after being parked, goes silent after a couple of minutes of running, and goes thicking again with cold start.
It started doing it out of no where.

Anyone got an explanation on this?

Thx

kevin
Old 02-25-23 | 11:05 AM
400fanboy
Racer

Google is your friend...

"valve tick when cold forum 1uz"

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ed-in-1uz.html

Some valvetrain noise is normal for our engine. I imagine what you mean is 1 or 2 valves are making "abnormal" noise.

How has the oil maintenance & health been on your car? If the noise goes away as the engine warms up, this sounds like an oiling issue.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 02-25-23 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-25-23 | 11:49 AM
paulo57509
Instructor

The ticking you're hearing is not the valve train. There is no hydraulic adjustment of valve clearances on these engines - purely mechanical.
The following 2 users liked this post by paulo57509:
BNastee (02-27-23), Yamae (02-26-23)
Old 02-26-23 | 01:53 AM
Yamae

Originally Posted by GeenIdee
Hey guys,

My '99 LS has been parked for a week or so, and on start up there is one or two valves that are ticking. I thought, well a lifter probable bled out and it should be fine. But then I remembered that these things don't have hydraulic lifters...

I am not yet able to wrap my head around the fact that it started ticking after being parked, goes silent after a couple of minutes of running, and goes thicking again with cold start.
It started doing it out of no where.

Anyone got an explanation on this?

Thx

kevin
As paulo57509 has mentioned, there is no hydraulic adjustment of valve clearances on these engines - purely mechanical. The mechanical issue I worry about is the poor oil filter. Do you use a good oil filter which has a good anti drain valve? Some of aftermarket oil filters use poor materials for that valve and those can't hold the oil inside and cause ticking sounds as well as mechanical noises when the car is parked for a long time.
The following users liked this post:
paulo57509 (02-26-23)
Old 02-26-23 | 09:43 AM
GeenIdee
Driver

That is what I said myself already.

It has the symptoms of a hydraulic lifter but I realized it doesn't have them. I mean, I've checked clearance like 1.5 years ago.

Oil and maintenance is fine so I don't have suspicions on that.

To me its just weird that there is no issue what so ever, and then all of a sudden when no one touched the car for just over a week it started doing this. I can't remember this has happened before because it is not the first time it sat for more then a week.

The thicking is loud enough to be concern when you hear it for the first time, a rod bearing was the first thing that went trough my mind but I think it's safe to say it is not. The reason it sounds so loud is probable because it's an exhaust valve where the sound is amplified by the exhaust manifold.

It's still parked atm, probable switch back to it next week or so and if it keeps doing it after I drove it I think I'll pull of the valve cover.

Btw, I have tried searching but most I found was the early 1uz while I have the vvti so i can imagine things are different / updated
Old 02-26-23 | 01:18 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

That is what I said myself already.

It has the symptoms of a hydraulic lifter but I realized it doesn't have them. I mean, I've checked clearance like 1.5 years ago.

Oil and maintenance is fine so I don't have suspicions on that.

To me its just weird that there is no issue what so ever, and then all of a sudden when no one touched the car for just over a week it started doing this. I can't remember this has happened before because it is not the first time it sat for more then a week.

The thicking is loud enough to be concern when you hear it for the first time, a rod bearing was the first thing that went trough my mind but I think it's safe to say it is not. The reason it sounds so loud is probable because it's an exhaust valve where the sound is amplified by the exhaust manifold.

It's still parked atm, probable switch back to it next week or so and if it keeps doing it after I drove it I think I'll pull of the valve cover.

Btw, I have tried searching but most I found was the early 1uz while I have the vvti so i can imagine things are different / updated
This sounds like a classic case of a bad anti-drainback valve within the oil filter. I would replace just the oil filter and top off the crankcase.

What brand oil filter is installed?
Old 02-26-23 | 02:16 PM
GeenIdee
Driver

It's a bosch, and in all honesty, I've never heard of an anti-drainback in an oilfilter. As far as i'm aware it is a pressure valve that opens in case the filter is clogged up.

Also, if it would be some kind of anti drainback valve that is faulty, you would have oil pressure at the head within a couple of seconds. Not minutes. So even though it's worth a try, I have my strong doubts
Old 02-26-23 | 04:36 PM
Yamae

It's a bosch, and in all honesty, I've never heard of an anti-drainback in an oilfilter. As far as i'm aware it is a pressure valve that opens in case the filter is clogged up.

Also, if it would be some kind of anti drainback valve that is faulty, you would have oil pressure at the head within a couple of seconds. Not minutes. So even though it's worth a try, I have my strong doubts
You now know that there are 2 valves in an oil filter. A relief valve and an anti drain back valve are there inside and both should work well to prevent the engine damage.

Many aftermarket oil filters do not fully meet the requirements of the engine manufacturers. I feel that BOSCH used to manufacture very good quality parts but after the financial crisis of 2008, they began to drop the cost a lot using poor materials and I am not a fan of BOSCH any more. They also start to manufacture products at lower labor cost countries where skilled workers are not easy to hire as well as quality materials are not easily obtained. Many local indies say," We can't expect BOSCH as it used to".

The following users liked this post:
CELSI0R (02-27-23)
Old 02-26-23 | 08:11 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

The red arrow is the anti-drainback valve. The yellow arrow is the pressure relief valve.

The purpose of the ADB valve is to prevent the oil that is in the engine oil galleries from draining back into the sump after shut down. Tell-tale signs of a failed/marginal ADB valve is engine clatter upon start-up that lasts until the galleries are refilled.

Last edited by paulo57509; 02-26-23 at 08:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by paulo57509:
BNastee (02-27-23), CELSI0R (02-27-23), Yamae (02-26-23)
Old 02-27-23 | 10:29 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

^^^^ I agree with paulo57509. When I bought my 93 last year I had a tick and couldn't figure it out. It wasn't the normal tick we all get from cylinder 7 (both my old 93 and 94 had it) But after I changed my oil, with an OEM filter, the tick was gone. I never researched into why it did that, I was just happy the tick was gone.
Old 02-27-23 | 11:09 AM
fondu
Intermediate

Originally Posted by deanshark
^^^^ I agree with paulo57509. When I bought my 93 last year I had a tick and couldn't figure it out. It wasn't the normal tick we all get from cylinder 7 (both my old 93 and 94 had it) But after I changed my oil, with an OEM filter, the tick was gone. I never researched into why it did that, I was just happy the tick was gone.
Nice, good to know. I just resealed my lower oil pan and put on an OEM filter for the first time in years of ownership. Have not run it yet but I will be very happy if that tick is gone!
Old 02-27-23 | 11:55 AM
400fanboy
Racer

I learned something new about oil filters today. And here I thought "just any ole filter, it's just is a paper thing for filtering oil".

It turns out there really is a reason for everything. And especially, especially ESPECIALLY with this car... aftermarket is universally a cost-down, and never a match in quality because they cannot compete.
Old 02-27-23 | 02:28 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fondu
Nice, good to know. I just resealed my lower oil pan and put on an OEM filter for the first time in years of ownership. Have not run it yet but I will be very happy if that tick is gone!
Funny thing about your "first time for an OEM filter". I was the same way in all my 40 something years of driving, never an OEM filter in any of my 20 something cars I've owned, matter of fact no OEM anything, til I got my 2nd LS400.
Old 02-27-23 | 04:44 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

There are some filters I will never use again; Bosch and Champion Labs E-Core type filters (Super-Tech and some ACDelco), even though the E-core has been redesigned to prevent this. This is from 2017 was in service on the LS for ~5k miles.

Super-Tech "black" can ST3614

Old 02-27-23 | 05:32 PM
400fanboy
Racer

Originally Posted by deanshark
Funny thing about your "first time for an OEM filter". I was the same way in all my 40 something years of driving, never an OEM filter in any of my 20 something cars I've owned, matter of fact no OEM anything, til I got my 2nd LS400.
Yeah this car has re-written the book on aftermarket vs. OEM for me. I think overall, it varies a lot depending on the make & model of car. For some cars, they are such hot garbage out of the box that it's not difficult to replicate or improve on (I'm looking at you BMW plastics and gaskets). At the end of the day, it's all the same 14 or whatever suppliers for half of this stuff anyway. Half of Toyota's job is just assembling parts from component suppliers like Brembo, Bosch, KYB and Aisin. They come out with some new electronic thing-a-ma-bob and Toyota integrates it into their products.

Last edited by 400fanboy; 02-27-23 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: ticking valve after being parked